15 Years of Prime

Greetings.

We are the people behind the Prime 2D fan project. Our name is and has always been Team SCU. We have a long history, starting way back in April of 2004. We joined Samus.Co.Uk when it was created, followed when it moved, left when it died, cycled through 5 different main programmers, and have had hundreds of volunteers making thousands of resources. But that is the past, and we are the now.

While public progress has appeared stagnant for the last 5 years, there has actually been a tremendous amount of foundational work being done in private. This work has laid the bedrock on which we have constructed a video sequence as a celebration of the 15th anniversary of Metroid Prime. This video features all-new art as well as new sound, and was recorded running in a brand-new NetMission engine.

Prime 2D has always been focused as a fan project for the joy of creating and learning - this has been exemplified by many prior contributors using skills learned from this project as a way to break into the games industry. As the project has matured, so have we as creators, raising the bar for the quality expected of a game. This shift has resulted in realigned priorities, many of which are demonstrated in this video. Rather than the pixel-perfect translation envisioned by our predecessors, we are taking a more targeted approach as a commentary on the shift from classic 2D to modern 3D gaming. Instead of copying the source material exactly, we are instead focused on taking the core concepts, translating those, and then implementing them in a logical 2D solution. By doing this we allow ourselves to focus on building a good game first and foremost, and then using that as a base on which to create a familiar experience, rather than constraining ourselves to trying to implement 3D ideas in 2D space.

2 Likes

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

wow! its great to see this

The new work is looking really great, guys. Keep up the great work!

One thing: Is the prime2d.com domain actually operational right now? That link doesn’t bring me to any website. It just brings me to my ISP’s search engine, implying that the domain did not resolve to a server IP.

That is correct, there was an unfortunate setback and the new site is not operational yet. We’ll make another announcement here when it goes live. :slight_smile:

Sounds good. I’m looking forward to it.

It’s been a long time, but damn that trailer looks great :smiley: This sure brings back a lot of memories…
Congrats Troid & teammates, on continuing this fan project!

DF!? You’re alive!? Good to see you man, and thanks for the support!

!!
Thank you for stopping by, DF. I don’t know if this project would still be here if you hadn’t kept the flame going for years. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods these days!