A couple good suggestions

<_<
Should have mentioned that, but they could have had 360 degree aim like that, even with a dpad.

Which just would have felt awkward, and required a ton of extra spriting, and made it annoying to snap directly forward again…

Face it, they couldn’t have done it without a mouse. >_>

And yes, there was a SNES mouse, but you can’t really use the gamepad and mouse at the same time.

Could have used a lightgun.
Anyway, mode 7 would mean they’d need no extra spriting, they could well have done it, though it wouldn’t be anywhere near as natural as a mouse.
I’d have done it so that the dpad aims normally, but shile standing you could aim with the shoulder buttons, but that probably wouldn’t have worked out.

Anyway, my point is, Metroid is not about the shooting, the controls shouldn’t be focused there.

You shoot enemies. You shoot walls. You shoot the goddamned DOORS. The vast majority of upgrades are different types of projectiles from your gun. Super has two separate keys for aiming your gun. Even in 2D, Metroid is a shooting game.

Edit:

Problem solved.

hey, CFX
out of curiosity, just to settle an argument
would you consider putting mouse-aim in MetEngine as an option?
<CFX|Brawlllllll> oh, it’s an option
oh
okay then
that was easy >_>
<CFX|Brawlllllll> is it advisable for a metroid game?
<CFX|Brawlllllll> no
well obviously
<CFX|Brawlllllll> but that’s another story
but these people are bitching about how we need to add it
and then there’s another side bitchinga bout how we shouldnt
i figured you just say “No.” and leave it at that
and i could just quote you
and end it
but okay >_>
<CFX|Brawlllllll> fine
<CFX|Brawlllllll> allow me to rephrase
<CFX|Brawlllllll> will it be an option of MetEngine. Will it be the option I’ll endorse for P2D (seeing it’s likely I make the most complex objects myself)? No
<CFX|Brawlllllll> ok
<CFX|Brawlllllll> I missed a yes after the first full stop
<CFX|Brawlllllll> but you get the idea

1. Metroid Is Gay is a gay name, and if you want people agreeing with you, that’s not the way to go.
  2. He’s wrong to begin with, because the focus of Metroid isn’t shooting. To be more precise, the focus isn’t battling. You shoot a lot, but you rarely do action battles. The enemies serve more as decoration, or just minor obstacles for lols. Metroid would still be Metroid without enemies. It would be boring, but it would be more Metroid than Metroid without exploration and upgrades.

Holy crap.
CFX agreed with me, I’m changing my stance, go mouse aim! :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, metroid isn’t about the shooting, it’s about exploring, powering yourself up, and so on. The shooting is a side bit, important, but not the focus.

I think an option for MetEngine would be fine. I don’t particularly care so much about it being in P2D now.

I’m curious though: if Metroid isn’t about shooting, why care how free or restricted the aiming is? If the game has the same physics/movement/exploration/etc then I really don’t see how freedom of aiming would really affect it beyond the easy/frustrating thing when shooting stuff. If shooting is already a minor thing, what does free-aim do to change that?

Also I didn’t really think about enemies when I proposed it in the first place. I mostly meant like shooting obstacles/using the scan visor. I never intended to suggest the focus go on shooting enemies.

Okay, about scanning, you have a pretty good point. Scanning in the current system is annoying as hell. <_<

Yeah I didn’t really mean like combat and stuff. I just figured it would be good for aiming at anything whether it’s scans or obstacles. I honestly don’t know where everyone figured I meant shooting at enemies and stuff. v :slight_smile: v

Also if anyone’s confused by mouse aim, I just mean you have a cursor and where you aim, samus will try to shoot at. The keyboard would just control your movement so you could also aim in one direction while moving the other. It’d be a more intuitive way of moonwalking than super metroid in that respect.

Indeed, and scanning could still use a tweak, modified to be based on distance from center line of the visible ray rather than…whatever the heck it’s based on right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe have up and down switch scan targets while you’re scanning… I mean, you can’t shoot anyway, so the ability to point up isn’t that useful.

*note: I currently don’t know how the scanning works.

Well, it currently works basically like the X-Ray Scope from Super Metroid–and auto-targets the nearest scannable object (the orange squares) within the scope’s field of vision. Problem is, you can’t toggle between scan targets within the FOV. :\

Kinda thought that’s how I remembered it…
Hm… there’s gotta be some kind of button available to cycle through them. Maybe pressing the scan visor button again?

@MiG, that system would work fine to keep the controls nice and restricted, which, IMO, is a good thing, however it would turn aiming into a total bitch, as you try to hit something, and see your shots fly by.
It would work for scanning, but be a bit odd only to use it for that, but scanning should be improved, yes. I’m sure CFX can handle it, though.

See, in case I didn’t leave it clear before…

It’s not a problem about restriction, it’s a problem about design.

Enemies had predictable patterns on all 2D metroid games, the challenge was not shooting them, it was easy to shoot them, it was about learning their pattern. Here, the same applies. This is not a FPS, you do not need pinpoint accuracy. All enemies are wallcrawlers that you just point up and blast, or crouch and blast anyway, or stuff that is standing on the ground, and therefore in straight line of fire.

When it comes to activating switches and such, it’s all a matter of design. In most games, when you have to shoot a switch, there’s some kind of graphic hint as to where you stand to shoot them. This is not, or should not be an exception. It’s an issue about design, not restrictions. The controls, (at least for MetEngine) are already set, and no, they don’t include mouse aiming, because it’s superfluous, and face it, no one fucking needs moonwalking, not when youc an run away anyway, and just press the opposite direction and release fire to blast something and keep running.

That, and the fact that my P2D Samus entity has combat dashes implemented, like the ones in MP.

In addition, missiles home in on targets, so if you are just too clumsy to shoot somethign that is dead ahead of you, just missile it, that’s what they are for.

as for scanning, the system I use has automatic target selection, and lets you move while you scan stuff.

The scan visor should NOT work like the X-Ray scope,namely because their purposes were completely different.

My scan visor, when activated, extends a ‘scan sphere’ around Samus. All scannable objects in that sphere are identified, and scanned automatically. Once they are completely scanned, they’ll highlight, and you can toggle around them with a button, and just press Spacebar to read the scan results.

Hm, that sounds pretty good, except… does it autoscan them all simultaneously, or do it one by one like in Prime? The former seems kinda cheap, but the latter leaves the problem of scanning, say, Ice Shriekbats before they divebomb you.

Or does it scan the one you have selected using said “toggle” button?

<CFX|Work> they all scan automatically, as if the scan visor was a radar pulse
<CFX|Work> however, for recording to logbook
oh, alright
<CFX|Work> you still have to target them and press Space
does time stop like in SM?
<CFX|Work> no
k
do they all scan at the same rate?
<CFX|Work> no
sounds good then :smiley:
quite ani nventive solution
<CFX|Work> the point of it is forcing you to stay in scan mode in the middle of combat for a while
<CFX|Work> like in Prime
aight
<CFX|Work> but at the same time allowing you to move freely, just unable to fight back
<CFX|Work> as for the scan speed, stuff you are directly looking at
<CFX|Work> will scan faster
<CFX|Work> in a roughly 45 degree cone in front of you
<CFX|Work> by aiming you can choose what scans faster

Oh, cool. Sounds good, then. I kinda thought that all of them scanned at the same time <_<

OK, yes, that’ll do nicely.