A screenshot of a game my company is working on

Pillowed?

Anyway here’s what I mean when I say ‘turned evenly’.

Your original sprite, Well made IMO, but needs darker shading, and perhaps more shading.

Everything except the circle and top area transitioned fine, it wouldn’t be hard to just make the circle outline again to fix it.

All angles ad outlines now look very ‘blech’. Chalky outline shows, and is lumpy.
Only use this angle if your ship here is about 25% of the current size, even then it would need some cleaning.

Animations tend to be smooth, as long as they aren’t incredibly slow.

Pillow shading is when one shades from the outline inward. Meaning, it’s darker around the edges but gradually gets light around the centre. Never use it. It makes sprites look undefined.

The circle there is the most heavily pillowed on that sprite, try making the light source come from somewhere else.

It’s Geordie. Not Jordy.

Er, that’s not necessarily true. If a sprite is shown from the direct top, or if it has an undefined light source, or a light source from a direct side, that’s… y’know… how it would be shaded.

And that’s not pillowshading anyway. Pillowshading is following the outline exactly, never showing much if any contours or variance away from the lineart and just extending it inward in a gradient.