*** Artifacts of the Month ***

I’m looking out my window, and I gotta tell you, there’s not a lot of contrast. How little/much, I can’t say, but it’s definitely significantly less than in normal sunlight.

Ice has lots of contrast: (especially when surrounded by both dark and light objects, like it is in the Hall of the Elders (snow and statues/walls))
http://www.trengovestudios.com/images/icicles.jpg
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/Fl…%20cube_550.jpg

Unless it’s ugly ice, but nobody wants ugly ice:
http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/d30-30/dripping-icicle.jpg

The snow outside looks pretty solid white to me. It’s like this:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/discoverthis/super-snow-a.gif

We weren’t talking about ice. We were talking about the lighting effects of ice on its environment. In terms of ice itself, yeah. It’s certainly reflective. That’s something that does need fixed in the sprite eventually.

Oh. I see now. My bad.

Just a reminder that we’re into our last two weeks for this month’s round. The Artifacts are due Sunday, February 24th.

Sorry, I was on vacation and I didn’t have the chance to check your posts. Contrast is, as usual, too low. But the light source is top left, becuase of the crack in the ceiling. For this statue, I would basically need a ripped 3d model picture.

I don’t have much time tonight, but expect improvements tomorrow.

Ooh, improvement. Not bad so far. :smiley:

Actually, I believe you can request 3D models from MP by PMing DarkHunter16 (see this topic), but that was a long time ago. If we could get a model-requesting system worked up, though, that’d be something neat to add to the first post.

Speaking of the first post, I have some ideas for next month. Firstly, it should have the maps of the world in them. That’s important for seeing the directions the rooms go in and how they’re connected, which could have an effect on some Artifacts.

Also, I’m going to try to split up the Artifacts into categories each month, depending on which ones pop up. That’s assuming I still have them selected randomly, of course. I might try out a monthly theme, in which all the Artifacts are from one area or something. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I’ll definitely be reorganizing the master list of Artifacts. Some Artifacts should be combined together (like as we already found, runic symbols were separate from runic symbol gates for some reason), while others need to be split apart. Tilesets in particular shouldn’t be one Artifact each, since I left them to include more than just tiles. As long as it’s split into general categories like “flora”, “snow tiles”, “misc. lab details”, etc., style clashes shouldn’t be an issue. The same person might end up doing them all anyway.

Looking at how things have gone, maybe 6-8 Artifacts a month would be better for now. We can bring it up when we have more people to participate. We haven’t even made an attempt to recruit people yet, but two non-team members are participating already, which is cool.

Speaking of that, we don’t really have any written standards for becoming a team member… So I think having one Artifact accepted by the team and then claiming another would be a fair requirement for joining through this topic. Sound good? Either way, looks like we’ll be gaining two new members soon. :smiley:

Sorry for the random giant post.

So you’re going to post a map of the game, and set a theme for the month, and from that we do certain Artifacts? Sounds good. I suggest that the theme should be Magmoor. I’m sure there’s a lot of work to do there. After seeing your finished Phazon crate, I’m pretty confident that you could do an excellent lava sprite =).

UPDATE. I did a Phendrana Temple column to kill time.

=O

=O? Check for yourself. If I know these things, it is because most of the detail and colour done for my sprite have been revealed by the aura created by the crack in the ceiling. I spent several hours spinning around the statue, running back to the PC, and going back to the 'Cube. I eventually realised the aura going down on the statue would give me extra detail. That is why I think that that the lighting is top left, because the light falls on the statue, AND because I’m certain it is.

NOTE: Now that I think about it, the light only falls on the mound of snow, not on the statue =(. So you’re probably right. And I babbled for nothing.

By “=O” I meant “I am shocked at your awesome attention to detail =O”.
But if you were wrong, I retract that smiley <_<
Shame on you, shame!

SHAME. Detail is one thing that is essential to sprites. Accuracy too. Which means my sprite needs revision in terms of shading.

This requires a double post: there’s a slight problem:

See? That’s the only way to make the room 2D, which means that I have to redo the sprite :angry: .

Recolour:

No, you’re fine. I checked on the map, the room in 2D goes kind of like this:

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;____________ &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; [] &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; | &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;<| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; _____| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;/| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; ______| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;__|______| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; | &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;| &nbsp; &nbsp; __| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;| &nbsp; &nbsp;| &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;|____[]
Sorry, I should’ve posted the maps earlier.

Edit: Here’s Phendrana.

Where will the columns and chozo heads be? And the platforms, if I think about it?

Uh, given the restrictions of 2D, I would say the platforms would be what you jump on, and the chozo heads and columns would go in the background. Simply my opinion, though.

You don’t seem to remember that to go to the chozo statue, you first jump up a series of platforms, then you reach the chozo heads, then the statue. T92 seems to have cut off the area with the platforms off. The chozo heads and columns o in the background, like you said.

l
l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? . ?. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l ? ? U ? ?l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l_ ? ? ? l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l___l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l ?l ? ? ? ? ? ? l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? /l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?. . ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l_l_______l\l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? U ? ? ? ? ?l l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? l ? ? ? l ? ? ? ? ?l l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l____l ? ? ? ? ?l l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l____l ? ? ? ? ?l l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?l ? ? ?l ? ? ? ? ? l l
l ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
___ ? ? ? ? ?l ? ? ?l ? ? ? ? ? l l
l\ ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? l ? ? ?l ? ? ? ? ?l ? ? ?l ? ? ? ? ? l l
l/_l ? ? ?l/______l_______________________________l

Well, I think it can be assumed that the layout is rough, so that adjustments could be made to fit in details like the statues and pillars. However, I have no idea if that’s true, seeing as how I can only assume.

Yeah, the s123i68’s right. The shapes and sizes of the rooms aren’t final, and I’m sure that room will be stretched out to include the two hallways and the vertical stretch of platforms. My point was that you’re fine making the statue come out of the wall on the right. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love it how you refer to me as “The s123i68” It’s amusing, in a way.

OK. I’m reassured. Now I’m just waiting for D16’s model…