Castlevania: Requiem of Lost Souls

edits first post to update things

The topic now has some redundant posts, so just don’t mind them >_>

AHEM:

RoguePirate and I started a project a while back to create the best damn CV fangame we could. It was going fairly well, then we started losing interest. Then Troid92 joined up and started doing some midis, then I got the POR soundtrack which inspired me further, and then Karasawa joined the team too…so now we’re back in full swing!

Oh, plus we finally have a trailer, so yeah.

http://lod.pixelatedempire.net/trailer.wmv

Note that it lags and freezes a bit, but that’s just due to RP’s shitty capture program, the real engine is quite smooth except in the Malachi battle.

Now then, as for the game itself:

RP’s coding the engine in Game Maker, of course. Troid and Kara are doing music, while Kara and I do tiles, and RP and I do the sprites, while I do the dialogue and SFX. RP’s also done a few small voiceover bits. It’s based on the old-school CV’s, but with heavy influence from the modern ones: linear stage-based progression with upgrades, inventories, and exploration within them. The style is “enhanced NES”: 8-bit graphics with midi soundtrack, but with plenty special effects on both. Three characters, two alternate modes for Simon, two endings for each character, and plenty of hidden items should keep the replay value high if you can stand it to begin with. :stuck_out_tongue: Oh, and we’ve got a save file system too, of course.

Story:

[i]Simon has just defeated Dracula yet again. The
vampire’s persistence is grating on the hero, but
at last he has solace for a time. In theory.

The curse is lifted…

But still he cannot rest.

He returns from the dark castle and heads into a
nearby town to take a break from the battles…

He finds Brahms in ruin. Dark creatures scurry
about in the shadows, and all of the townspeople
are either dead, or have joined the undead
ranks assailing the town.

He finds a single survivor–an old man, who begs
Simon to locate and defeat the cloaked destroyer
who attacked the city.

Whip in hand, the hero grudgingly sets off through
the ruins, uttering a quiet prayer for all the lost
souls . . .[/i]

Playable Characters:

Simon Belmont, of course, is just like always, and gets new subweapons and upgrades from bosses. He also now has a whip spin move, a’la Nathan Graves, plus a double jump, jump-kick, and slide. His motivation, of course, is to investigate Death’s reappearance and attack on Brahms.

Then we have Deft Fortner, a ninja with dual kunai and an array of chargeable throwing knives. He also has a limited power of dominance, and gets souls from some bosses and enemies. His motivation is to search for his mother, who was kidnapped by Slogra and Gaibon. Also, he has the ability to control Magic Seals.

Next up is Yuki Belnades, a sorceress with a shapeshifting ability as well as several powerful spells. She wields a staff and can cast several attack and healing magics, as well as assuming demon forms she gets from bosses. Her motivation is to release herself from the curse that caused her to lose her human form, and once that’s done, to get revenge.

We’ve also devised a system to have multiple endings, and hopefully with some unexpected plot twists. Also, the origin of the Magic Seals of the Fortner family.

A demo will be available soon. We have a few already but they’re horribly outdated, so I won’t bother posting them yet.

The plot details are subject to change. We’re probably going to rework the Fortner aspect quite a bit, for one. So the above data might not reflect the final product.

:>

Just played your demo. I was confused,
is that a real demo or just a test room?
I recomend changing the sprites to something
a little more…new. IMO I think it looks outdated,
unless thats the way you wanted it to look.
I thought it was very hard and I couldnt get past the level.
I only started playing Castlevania recently. I have the new one for the DS,
so I dont know much of the story.

GRAPHICS
*looks outdated and old, unless that was what your aim was.

GAME PLAY
*A little hard, I couldnt get past the level.
*controls are a little wierd, I find it hard to get used to them.
*Maybe I just suck at it. :sweat:

STORY
*Havent played enough games in the series to understand.

ENGINE
*Well, its okay. Whip thing was a little wierd.
*it works out fine, maybe even like any previous castlevania game.
I dont know because I have not played them.

It’s a sequel to an NES game, so we went with NES graphics. >_> And it’s just a small test room, yeah.

Nice demo Daz. The music made it pretty fun to play with the beat of it. And I can see what you mean by the upgrade appearance rate. I should’ve had a rocket launching whip with all the upgrade items i pucked up, :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea… you’re only supposed to be able to get two total, and they’re supposed to show up at a certain pattern, but it doesn’t quite work that way. >_>

sprites,the whip,and the no backround is horrible…
nice engine tho

Okay, shaddap about the sprites. They’re done in the same style as the game we’re basing it off. We won’t change them. >_<

In any case, I’ve been recording SFX all day and RP finished up a few more enemies, and I also completed the sprites for the first boss, so our level 1 demo will be ready soon enough… a bit later than expected, but still. Tomorrow at worst, I presume.

for what its suspose to be based off of i think its pretty good, ive always liked the castlevania games, good job :smiley:

No screens => No download.

Very well. Here’s some screens of the new demo. Note that this is not at all what the version above looks like, as that is before we added proper graphics and such. >_> It’s also lacking a lot of other things we have now, so don’t bother until the new one’s up.

http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/6531/screenshot18wc.png
http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/4347/screenshot25ji.png
http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/3863/screenshot36al.png

Cool!

Great game really fun I wish the best of luck to you and the completion of this game!

And the second screenshot looks the coolest! 8)

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2471/screenshot46eh.png

New screeny, showing off our Town tileset and the new Simon sprites :smiley:

Edit: Random comment time! While trying to create backdash sprites, I came up with Headbanging Simon! :astonished:

Cool demo, Nice job Daz. :smiley: 8)

http://diablo.pixelatedempire.net/misc/castlevania.exe

Final Demo’d!

Also, pause with spacebar. Not mentioned in controls.

Nice.

awesome, good job daz

dead?

Nope, we’re just not releasing demos until we get a few more levels done.

Just an update and a sign that the project is not dead.

We’re updating the whole system majorly. We’re now adding slightly branching storylines and two new playable characters. One was originally planned as a bonus, but now all three from the start, each with a completely different style and slight story changes.

Simon Belmont, of course, is just like always, and gets new subweapons and upgrades from bosses. He also now has a whip spin move, a’la Nathan Graves. His motivation, of course, is to investigate Death’s reappearance and attack on Brahms.

Then we have Deft Fortner, a ninja with dual kunai and an array of chargeable throwing knives. He also has a limited power of dominance, and gets souls from some bosses. His motivation is to search for his mother, who was kidnapped by Slogra and Gaibon. Also, he has the ability to control Magic Seals.

Next up is Yuki Belnades, a sorceress with a shapeshifting ability as well as several powerful spells. She wields a staff and can cast several attack and healing magics, as well as assuming demon forms she gets from bosses. Her motivation is to release herself from the curse that caused her to lose her human form, and once that’s done, to get revenge.

We’ve also devised a system to have multiple endings, and hopefully with some unexpected plot twists. Also, the origin of the Magic Seals of the Fortner family.

That’s all I have to say for now, don’t wanna spoil everything…

Just thought I’d update y’all with a new screeny.

http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tower8il.png

Showing off our spiffy new 3d tower background system, the whip spin move, and a couple new enemies.