CE3 running on a PS3 at games com

NEVER!!!

why dont ya just cry about zurg?! D<

I finally got access to some CryENGINE 3 PC shots:

:O_O: Holy shit on a shit sandwich with shit on top and a side serving of shit

No… That’s a photograph.
That’s a photograph right?

…mother fuck…

…how would you program that? How on Earth would you do that? How many polygons? We’re still in a day and age that polygons are used, right?
Why would you even need it that detailed? Why not just use high quality textures and half the polygons? Or make a new type of texture that reacts to the light?

If that really is CryEngine 3, that’s art right there. That is a masterpiece of work.

As much as I would love to say ‘that’s real’, look at the water. Doesn’t look real, tbh.

Hey, I went hiking there before! I almost slipped on one of those rocks when I crossed that part.

<_<

I know we all love playing games at 1 fps, but I think having to connect seven 800GB hard drives as your RAM is pushing it a little.

>_>

I wonder how that scene would look like rendered on my computer. Probably something like this.

Yeah, you’re right about the water. It wouldn’t get that foamy at the bottom in real life, and even if it did it wouldn’t be made of straw.

Random side note:

Maybe because it’s not cel-shaded. :stuck_out_tongue:

nearly every good looking game last gen was cell-shaded, and some games that were cell shaded and still looked bad (I’m looking at you Tales of the Abyss) since we couldn’t make ‘realistic’ looking graphics look good back then, I mean Halo 2 and Half Life 2 are the best looking games of that gen, the only really good looking non-cell shaded games of the gen.

oh, I forgot about Twilight Princess, that too looked good.

_>
METROID PRIME!?
Far Cry?

Crysis was actually relatively close to being ‘last-gen’…

far cry is a PC game, they fall outside the realm of console generations, for PC’s 2004 was pretty close to being within gen 7 visuals.

and yeah, I did forget metroid.

hot damn…

most of those textures probably have a diffusion texture (what you see) and 2 seperate masks.

One of which is a bump map (grayscale height map to determine light highlights) or a normal map (calculated from a bump map in which the red channel determines horizontal facing, the green channel determines verticle facing, and the blue channel determines height.)
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Bumpmap <==== this link is from the valve developer wiki, but most games nowadays use bumpmaps.

The other is a specular map, which determines areas of high reflection and low reflection points of the texture. This kind of mask is optional in most situations but may be necessary in some textures such as painted metal in which some paint has flaked off to reveal the more reflective metal underneath. Another situation is rocks near water where the rock would only be partially covered in water.
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Specular <==== again from the valve source engine but i suspect it’s used in most other games today.

I’m just making a point of telling you that most of those diffuse textures (diffuse = what you see) are not the only textures you’re seeing. They require some modifying masks which make it look that much more godly. Of course, they’re probably using very high poly models as well though :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, CryENGINE uses the following maps (On EVERYTHING):

-Diffuse
-Specular
-Bump
-Normal
-Environment
-Detail
-Opacity (only used on some, this allows parts of textures to be transparent)
-Decal (again, only used on some, this adds extra overlays to areas)
-SubSurface Scatter

And it’s not listed in the editor, but most ground textures use POM (Parallax Occlusion Map). This is like a bump map on steroids.

wait… so the ps3’s gpu is WORSE than the 360’s? why was it so damn expensive then?

8-core Cell CPU.

Which the i7 runs 8 threads, so it’s effectively the cell, only more powerful. :laughing:

yep, i don’t know the clock speeds but i know that the 360s is faster, and the PS3 has 256 mb dedicated and 256 main ram, the 360 has 512 mb of bararro ram that changes from dedicated to shared based on software, its like shared but it isn’t. that’s why many devs prefer the 360, much more flexible…that and the PC esque architecture.

and yea, the CELL is the reason it costs more, fun fact: only 6 cores are active at one time on the CELL

quick note related to previous discussion: section 8 on 360 suppors nvidia physx

Yeah, the cell has the other cores locked to increase yeilds (if 1 or 2 cores is screwed up they can still use it)

1 of those cores is used for the OS, and the other is a ‘mother-core’. The other 4 do calculations, and this one checks it. It’s a bit of a bottleneck if you ask me…

yeah, its a great big clusterfuck, hell, as a result the PS3 is barely better than the 360 on the processor front, the 360s OS doesn’t need an entire fucking core and there isn’t any kind of a accuracy core (what the fuck was Sony thinking?) as a result of there being only 4 processing cores and a bottleneck it may as well just be a tri core like the 360.

It is IBM you should be hating on. It’s their design.

Yes but Sony approved it for use in their console, though I suppose that ‘what the fuck was IBM thinking?’ is a better statement.