Data Storage

About $5.50. (Free knowledge! Yay for my mom being a postmistress!)

And this, retty, is what you get for hating progress.

It’s funny how I can run Firefox 3 with several tabs open, GIMP, Game Maker 7, OpenOffice, and Modplug all at the same time with very little lag, which would be hell on my friends brand-new Vista computer. And don’t say that’s a bias, because I’ve tried stuff like that.

Also, PY, shut up. I’m not phobic of change, but I still disprove of Vista. That, and the fact that I don’t have much money right now (since I’ve spent it on worthless things like brawl :cry:). Besides, I actually am a lot more tolerant of Vista now. Although, they could have easily gotten away with editing XP to look like Vista, and have made tons more money. Plus, it would be a lot better.

And also, while Vista does have some good features, it fails to keep a few main functions working well all of the time. It’s amazing how Vista sometimes runs slower with today’s technology that XP does with the technology we had when SP1 of that came out.

Plus, the blurry effects look ugly, and the icons look awful. On top of that, I could give you tons of examples where people I know have had an awful time with Vista.

Yes, I do think it’s a good OS, but has lots of flaws. If they actually spent more time fixing Vista as opposed to releasing Windows 7 (which doesn’t fix anything, BTW), then maybe I’d change my mind. But for right now, I’m sticking with XP.

XP actually had worse reviews when it was launched then Vista got at launch.

in my opinion
vista is that bad, sure i’d rather keep using XP
but obviously the switch will have to be made when i get a new computer
(seeing as how by then XP will be but a memory)

so as far as vista goes, its ok by me
not my first choice
but atleast i wouldnt be on a mac again

OS on greatness chain:
-Linux Ubuntu

-Windows XP

-Windows Vista

-All Mac OS’s

never tried linux
due to lack of funds xD

http://www.ubuntu.com/
And you gotta be kiddin me! Linux is FREE!!!

“Plus, the blurry effects look ugly, and the icons look awful. On top of that, I could give you tons of examples where people I know have had an awful time with Vista.”

so turn them off, you can even keep aero on while doing so.
don’t like the icons? Hurp a durp, change them.

The people who have had an awful time are those called “computer illiterate” who would have trouble with ANY OS.

Face it, mate, you have no argument against vista which actually makes sense. People are entitled to an opinion, but only when they’ve had something to form an opinion of, and no, faceless internet bloggers telling you how it ran on their 5 year old hardware don’t count.

my desk, tell me that has ugly blurs, eh?

Shit, tell me that looks anything like vista.

Actually, that does look something like Vista.
Can you turn that side-bar off? It urks me every time I use a Vista computer.

Additionally, the reason I dislike Vista (not hate, dislike) is because I us a crapload of XP stuff that doesn’t work on Vista, and I don’t want to pay to replace it. Some of it isn’t replaceable anyways.

The sidebar is custom scripted in Samurize, and is using 6MB of RAM, while doing FAR more than Vista’s sidebar.

The taskbar is also 100% Samurize, using even less memory and about 1%CPU at idle.

The shell is Emerge Desktop, the only running applet is an autohidden system tray.

Appearances can be deceiving, if I gave you the configs, any windows from 2k upwards could look just like that.

There really isn’t much that doesn’t work on Vista now, what specifically can;t you use?

Almost every game I play and love.
In particular I don’t want to loose Battlezone II, which is picky enough about running on XP.

99% of games work with vista.

bzII, from a quick bit of googling, seems to work fine :slight_smile:

Several of my programs don’t work on Vista, especially ones with DirectMusic or WinSock (internet access). My mom’s experience with Vista has been crap (she’s quite computer literate), as has my experience with her copy of Vista, as it goes extremely slow, crashes Explorer every few minutes, and so forth.

Last I checked it didn’t… o_O
I love that game though.

…Well, XP is cheaper for me (Free through friend)…
:stuck_out_tongue:
And also, can you buy a Vista code without a CD, and if so, is it cheaper?

I’ll google, but I usually get wrong info, so…

Yeah, that shouldn’t happen.

Seeing as I have absolutely no issues with that, I’d recommend a reformat. As far as I know, the reason your programs don’t work is because MS didn’t include the Visual Basic runtimes with Vista, which, frankly, is sensible - why bloat the OS with something 80% of users will likely never need?

I think you can buy vista entirely online, through MS, could be cheaper.

dont have my own computer

PY, would you recommend 64-bit? It’s the same price, but appears to have quite a bit of compatibility issues.

ya until microsoft gets their act together on their 64 bit OSs and trouble shoots them a lot more they could be great :smiley:

wait… we WERE talking about vista 64 bit right?

Yeah.
Would it be better to get 64-bit Vista ultimate or 32-bit Vista ultimate?