Debate topic

repeat (1,000) {

}

#_of_pages=100

progress=-10

forum=fail

Can we lock this before it gets to 100 pages plz. I don’t see ANY side gaining ground EVER, but instead I see this turning into a frame war. OK…there may be some entertainment value in it for a bit but I’m planning ahead :confused:

Here’s the point:

Here’s you:

The point is stationary, and you’re traveling to the right.

In a manner of speaking, you missed the point.

My point is that people that obsess over zombies are idiots by popular consent, and people that obsess over god are normal by popular consent.

Where is the line? Where does a cult become a religion? Honest question. Most people believe that the line is at the foot of their own beliefs. All other religions are wrong, even though they’re all absolutely insane (rationally speaking), based entirely on faith, and often almost exactly the same in what morals they claim to teach people.

To sum up:
You have two sets of beliefs that are, to a person speaking on the basis of logic (no emotion involved), absolutely batty, and yet I am expected to be less amazed by the weirdness of religion than by the wackyness of cultism.
What’s the difference?

@EdTheDestroyer

I don’t see any flaming… And it’s an Argument/Debate. Not Flame/Kill. Anybody who decides to flame is their problem. But, this topic is for Debating, so nobody should get into a flame war. Arguments aren’t screaming and killing.

Also, the point of an Argument, isn’t to beat the other, or prove the other wrong (or it may be slightly) it’s more of a Share-of-Opinions point.

What I meant to say is that I foresee this degrading to the infamous flame war I spoke of. (especial if Timmeh is involve) Right now its not that bad.

At any rate, I don’t think that anyone will be able to change anyone else’s mind on what they believe. It’s really just a smoke blowing contest.

I dunno about that.

I was once a Catholic.

Debates like this helped me see the light.

Although those debates were much longer, better written, more structured, and intellectual, so you do perhaps have a point. >>;

I’ve had plenty of debates too.

Evolution is not a cultish anti-God theory designed only to get on the nerves of Theists, you know.

@EdTheDestroyer
<_<; Well, I’m sure a lot of people like to debate.

@Dazuro
Wait, who’re you talking to?

Evolution isn’t an anti-god theory. I don’t know why so many people think Science is “evil.” All science aims to do is to discover the truth of many mysterious, and to uncover more things.

Ooh, you’re trying to discover truth, rather than believing in “god,” don’t do that, I’ll be insulted.[/sarcasm]

Yes. Evolution is a theoretical explanation of life. Nothing more and nothing less; while it is the most commonly accepted theory, it has some holes that it’s critics ruthlessly exploit. But Evolution is science’s explanation, and it’s no less valid than Creationism, which apparently doesn’t need any type of evidence to be valid. <_<

Yes, evolution, as of right now, is the most logical explanation we have. It does make more logical sense than a “Higher” being decided to create humanity. And don’t even get me started on whether or not “God” exists.

And for a debate topic to work, people need to at least read people’s posts, and respond with a calm, logical reason, why they not only suck, but are also WRONG.

(P.S. God is limited by the following paradox. Can God create a boulder so heavy, that he himself can not lift it? If he can, his Godly strength is limited. If he can’t, then his powers of creation are limited. Either way, it proves that God is flawed. Heh. God is flawed. That sounds neat.)

Y’know, I’m not so sure if we can doubt that there is a God.

If you really think about it, in ways, everyone IS a God.

Every single thing you experience, your sights, your senses, none of it is what’s actually there–it’s what your mind creates out of it. Anything that exists relative to you is experienced soley as a creation of your own mind. And with the right mindset (i.e. ‘mental images’ and such), one can even create things that are equally real without a stimulus.

So here we have a being that creates an entire reality, then watches over it, occasionally intervening…

Sounds like a God of some sort to me.

>_>

Don’t mind me. I suppose I’m just spouting random semi-related philosophical nonsense we came up with while talking to blade740 last night. But it’s still kinda interesting to think about that way–and if so (and it IS so, no matter how you look at it), why would a God create something soley to act as a God of itself? Why do things so vicariously?

That’s actually a very interesting point. Humans were granted to ability to reason, in other words, to form their own conclusions based on sensory input. So, in a sense, they are building their own universe…
Kinky.

I’ve thought about that before; you’ve hit something, too.

Perceptions are, by definition, relative. When identical perceptions conflict there’s no way to judge which perception is the most accurate, since by doing so you would be using a perception, which does not reveal truth.

Man created God, not the other way around.

You know what I can’t stand? Narrow minded people, usually people who believe in some sort of ‘Supernatural Being’, think that when an educated person says anything about evolution that they are speaking of the whole ‘Ape to Man’ thing … no. Just, no. That is known as Darwinism. Completely separate theory. Darwinism bases its ideas off of evolution, not the other way around.

Like Daz said, evolution happens. Period.

072, I don’t know how old you are or how much you read, but do your research. Evolution doesn’t disprove ‘God’, for all we know, ‘God’ could have used evolution to help shape life on this planet. Not that I believe that, but hey, just throwing it out there.

As for my personal opinion about ‘God’, I agree with what was said by another member of the forum earlier in this thread … something like, humans are puny and scared so when something happens that they don’t understand, we make crap up to explain the ‘unexplainable’. Please. Tell me, ‘God’ believers, how absurd does it sound when I tell you that when it storms, Zeus stabs the sky with his thunderbolts? How about this: when Poseidon is angry, he causes the ocean waves to swallow ships whole and take the lives of sailors? No? Okay, so why do you believe that you have a ‘personal savior’ who forgives your ‘sins’ and all that? Or how about a ‘God’ who somehow can defy the laws of time and space, and who has no beginning and no end? Sounds just as absurd to me. I might as well still pray to the old gods of ancient Egypt, and worship cats. They are way cooler anyways.

• Axion -

Lol, I back Axion on that. The only difference between the Biblical God and the Greek Gods is that the Greek Gods have cooler powers, and there’s more of them.

Eh, I DID make it sound that way, huh, Axion?

Some people believe that God created the dense pre-Big Bang universe, and set existence in motion. I was kind of speaking of evolution as the “scientific” solution to the universe’ timeline. Maybe I shouldn’t have. But that seems to be how everyone is talking about it anyway.

[P.S. Nostril Kitty is officially the coolest person ever. (Besides Red Scarlet, at least.)]

Nah, there’s one more–they’re more fair.

After all, the biblical God supposedly creates people then forces them to do evil things then punishes them for it to teach them a lesson, despite being all powerful and all good and thus directly defying the fact that he can and should and, by definition, WOULD, teach them without said pain… and thus does all of that for no reason whatsoever.

Personally, if there WAS proven to be such a god, I’d rather not worship THAT. That only encourages such infantile behavior.

The Greek ones may have killed indiscriminately out of jealousy and such, but at least they had reasons, flimsy as they were.

Of course, you’re talking as if they are either both real, or both fairy tales.

Reminds me of how stupid these kinds of topics are.

And would you rather assume that one is real, and the other isn’t?
That’d be pretty hypocritical.

On a related note, why must you insist that evolution has anything to do with the universe? Stop that, please.

Heh. I second Axion. Anyways. What happens to tick me off more, is when Priests try to make up things, not know that they are becoming flawful. This “Adam” and “Eve” thing. If Adam and Eve were punished for listening to the “devil,” eating an apple, and mating, how are we “God’s” people? It doesn’t make any sense.

If Dinosaurs have been proven fact, and supposedly Adam and Eve were the first forms of life ever, how the hell did the species come back again? You can’t have Humans, then Precambrians, then etc, then Dinosaurs, then Cavemen, and humans again. That’s pretty dumb if you ask me.

A lot of people tell me that “God” has the power to Disclose Time, or some crap like that. If so, then the Universe should be completely torn apart.

Breaking laws of Physics, means destruction (better yet, Entropy).

EDIT: Yes, what Tim said. Evolution spans from Precambrian era, to Now. Anything before that is Cosmology I believe.

In a way, they’re both both.