Game over?

Good idea, I’d certainly thwack it into TE, build a demo.

This game will never be finished. Be serious people, it was always too big of a project to complete. That’s why I’m saying that finishing the Frigrate demo should be enough.

<_<

There are two main things this project has suffered from:

A.)
We used to have a huge team of excellent and active spriters back in the old days of SCU, with new sprites being made all the time and tons of progress. Thing began settling down eventually, and the team slowly shrunk. I believe that was caused by “thing B” below. Then everything that could possibly go wrong began going wrong at SCU, and Mills gave up all hope of recovery and shut it down. We all had to migrate over to these fan-forums, and we had lost most of our awesome resources. Eventually we managed to recover almost all of them, but our team had dwindled down to only a few people.

That is one of the major things we’re suffering from now: We barely have a team left. You know all of those people out there saying that fangames won’t do well if there are “too many cooks in the kitchen”? Don’t listen to them. Yes, you can get too many people, but the less people you have, the more dedication the team needs, and that is a trait that many people simply and frustratingly lack. Prime 2D was originally an open board with dozens of people coming and going and leaving behind plenty of high-quality sprites. Now we’re closed off to the public working in a secret board that nobody seems to know about or be willing to join.

B.)
All these resources that have been made have not seen the light of day. All these awesome sprites are made and never put to use. We haven’t seen our hard work pay off. Finishing a sprite now leads to watching one single item in a huge list of things turn from normal to bold. If you’re lucky, you’ll receive a lot of blunt criticism from Daz. This makes working on a project boring, and gives little reason for anyone to do anything more. So what is causing this problem? We don’t see many updates in the programming part of the project.

Now, DestroyerF does not take the blame for this. In fact, he’s the one who is trying to solve it, constantly working through tough times under the hardest pressure of us all, striving to get out a demo to see at least our Frigate resources being put to use well. DF, I have always admired your extreme determination, and how you always manage to get past difficult problems no matter how long it takes, never giving up. (Even after topics like this :stuck_out_tongue: )

=========

These make P2D’s future look fairly grim. It seems like it can only go downhill from here, and the demo will be P2D’s final spark, if we can even manage to finish that.

Not true.

Prime 2D is not dead and it’s not going to die.

Stop all of this nonsense. A project doesn’t NEED to be active to get things done. We could tell everyone to take five years off before picking up progress again and the project wouldn’t have “died”. Listen to Mason and stop giving up so early on everything. It can take many years for a team of 50+ hired, professional people to finish a videogame as large as this one. Why everybody seems to expect a small team of volunteers with their own lives and jobs who still go to school to keep up at the same pace is beyond me, but it’s a ridiculous expectation. We might as well be the fangame that ends up taking 30 years to finish, and then brag about it.

Why do we barely have a team left? Because we haven’t even TRIED to make the team bigger. We could be actively going around recruiting new (or old!) people to hop on board and make plenty of quality resources before fading out of existence again like volunteers always end up doing. We even have several qualified people right under our noses, right here on this very board, who we haven’t bothered asking to join the team. So what do we do? We close off all of our progress from the public because we’re too worried about resource stealing. Now P2D is the Area 51 of the Metroid fangames, and nobody on the outside of our hidden board has any clue what we’re doing, or if we’re even doing anything at all. Sure, it’s nice for the team, because we can post all of our surprises and ideas and work without worrying about anybody we don’t trust. But now we have to make up for it by getting people to join us. That could make the biggest difference of all.

As for seeing our hard work paying off… Even if the future of P2D’s programming is fairly unknown, we can still see our resources being put to use as we make them. The team knows this, because of a hidden project in the Workplace. Its goals are focused on pointing out what resources still need to be made and which could use some improving, while putting our work to use. Its nickname is “TivNav”. I think you can figure out what it is. Or at least what it will be. Hopefully. But really, P2D doesn’t need the best of the best of the best for an engine. All P2D needs is a decent 2D game engine. It would be nice to be able to say that it uses an engine designed for it, especially something as awesome as MetEngine, but if that doesn’t work out, there are plenty of nice 2D game engines out there that we could easily pick up and start using to produce a quality videogame. I don’t want to see all of CFX’s hard work on MetEngine wasted, but I’m just assuring everyone out there that there’s still plenty of hope.

=========

Finally, on a side note, a little self-discipline can go a long way. Just take some time to sit down and work on something. If you can get past the part where you open up the sprite or MIDI or game code, look at it, lose interest, and close out… if you can get past that, you’re set. Set some goals for yourself, like “I need to finish 5 more poses before I leave tonight” or “this MIDI needs to be done by Sunday” or “the destination system of the new Pirate AI needs to be finished this week”. When you feel like you lack motivation to get something done, practice building your own motivation and just go get it done. You’ll be proud of yourself.

Hell, one underlying point in that NEVER occured to me.

RECRUITING more people. P2d has always felt so exclusive, and It always felt like some sort of weird fraternity, and I never really wanted it to feel like JUST ANYONE was working on it.

But TONS of fan projects recruit people, and I don’t think that’s a bad idea at all at this point.

If DF put up a recruitment announcement for programmers and spriters up on the page, god knows what we could accomplish, even during these times.

Fresh members would inspire old members to work as well.

It’s the most practical solution I can think of, other than finishing this project in 5 years, where god knows where we’ll be in our “real” lives.

Lets all put links in our sigs, hopefully it’ll help.

20 people can do it 4x faster than 5

No, I think we should do a full scale recruitment.

We should ask on the p2d homepage, as well as go hunt down awsome spriters personally at their forums.

Pixeltendo, Mffg, Captain N, and others would be good places to start.

then the game will really fly

I just need to get a bit of inspiration, that will copme when I gt corruption ;p
but for those of you that don’t know, much progress was done in the last months, and I mean it

Yeah, Slothien’s right. You fans out there are really going to be impressed by the final demo. :sunglasses:

Well, if you look through the graphics board here, there are a few extremely excellent spriters that aren’t on the team. Let’s recruit them first since it’s so convenient, and then other new people from around the internet.

We should also try to bring back some oldies, since we know they were good spriters years ago and are probably better now. Check the sprite list to know who some of them are. I’m sure some of them might be willing to come back, or at least help us fill in some gaps by posting their P2D sheets.

And open up the progress board so we can actually see what’s happening instead of waiting here for months out of a time for a single update? I don’t see why you’re so worrid about resource stealing. Why would anybody even want to use P2D’s sprites? They don’t even fit in with previous Metroid graphics, and you don’t see all the other top spriters hiding their work because they are scared some random guy will steal it.

Well let’s see.

Infinity’s end, SemmiJuggalo, Sephi Hatu.

But if you want to get serious, I’d recommend recruiting some of the best spriters on the internet.

Tonberry 2k

Drshnaps

Frario

Silverbolt

Ryan914

Toadkarter

Bean

Skylights

SmithyGCN

Random Talking Bush

A.J. Nitro

Just a few that I’d recommend. But Pixeltendo is an excellent place to start if you want to recruit big names in spriting. But there are tons of awsome spriters I know other than them.

Want me to put up an announcement or something?

Well, I think it might be overdoing it to ask all of those people at once, but if you really want to, go ahead, I guess. I think only three or four more spriters would be enough for now, as long as they stay fairly active. It’s just, in the last few months, we’ve really only had one active spriter/artist, and his list of things to do looks pretty overwhelming. Just a few more would make a huge difference.

I’ve found that P2D doesn’t exactly have the best reputation outside of these forums, so I’m fearing that a topic asking for spriters might not end well. You could try it, though.

And Dragon, we’ve had some trouble with resource stealing in the past. I personally think the hidden team board should be used sparingly, but it’s certainly been useful. However, the team should be posting most of their work in, say, the public sprite list topic at the top of this board.

I’d post in the public topic a single frame in a pose that nobody would want to bother using. For example, we could post just the jumping Samus sprite and say a whole sheet of her is done. I think that could take care of both problems.

Best spriters of the internet? buddy you show me and I’ll tell you if they’re the best of the best, because I’ve seen some good shit, not in pixeltendo… so I seriously doubt that.

But most of the time those people are working on mobile phone/ds stuff, and only help if they are fans of metroid.

My own Rayman fangame has been in progress for just as long, and I don’t even have a working website up. XD But I’m still working on it, and I’m not giving up. I don’t think you should either. I’ll even seriously help you after my project is finished if needed by then. It is why I joined afterall. :slight_smile:

Mabye not best of the best, but they’re definetly some of the most reputable spriters on the internet. I didn’t just pull the names out of my ass.. Of course, most of them are likely to be busy, but they’re a good start.

But there are PLENTY of good enough spriters on pixeltendo, I’ll guarantee that (despite the enourmous amount of idiocy on the forum).

Hm… well, damn, I got beaten to a pep talk.
But I assure you it was going to be a differently worded but still similar variant to Troid’s =]
I’ve been wondering why there was a lack of… y’know… recruitage.
But… did anyone seriously expect this game to be done quickly?
That’s absurd. And if anyone is expecting that, wake up. When making a game isn’t your job, you’re not motivated by money, you’re self-motivated. And when you’re self-motivated, things can look pretty glum pretty quick… and it helps to have fans supporting you, not bickering about when the game is coming out, when the demo is going to be released, the project is dead, etc, etc, etc.
Dragon, this project is in no way too big, just not enough people to make up for the large size, and not enough support or motivation as it is. I’m not sure what you can do about motivation, but you can certainly work on your support… “it’s too big to finish” is not so supportive.
rednec0…

wtf… not worth touching…
and moving on…
Phazon Yoshi, you’ve been here two months from what I can see… and you’re saying it’s dead… because you haven’t seen a new beta.
If I’m correct, wasn’t the next thing to be released supposed to be the actual demo?
Hm… I think that’s going to take more than two months… however, when it comes to you, I could be incredibly misinformed as to how long you’ve been here, and whether the next thing to be released IS the demo. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’ve suddenly ran out of stuff to say, and I realize that I have a mid-term exam to study for before I shit my pants from fear of failing.
DF, YOU do not have a test in two days in a world history class covering stuff from the most confusing history book you’ve ever seen, that you have to read twice to understand the sentence structure, and thrice to understand what it’s saying, from a man that could very well be compared to the devil. A very, very boring and monotonous devil. That is an unbearable history geek. YOU still have hope, where I have none. Your soul is safe. I plead with ye, finish the demo, so I may have some short-lived reprieve from the never-ending “ZOMG, I suck at life!” that is sure to come.

(p.s. I also ask that you do not drop the proverbial hammer of doom on me. I tried for humor. I may have failed, but if I did, I failed… well… badly, I suppose. Point being, I tried to make a funny, don’t hate me for it.)

My only point is that we CAN finish this game in the next month if we want to.

It’s not gonna happen, but if we went crazy on recruiting, we could probably get into the actual meat of the game, regardless of the demo.

Time to give it a go.

Oh, right.

I failed to mention that I also agree with Halberd.
…my bad <_<