Game over?

Haha. And one day, I’ll learn more C. 'Til then, I’m fine with knowing enough C and usage of Visual C++ to make DLL’s, which I can then use in VB. Gee whiz, if I got a ton of free time and figured out exactly how to solve my physics issues (which are, by far, the hardest problem I’ve ever encountered) I could totally code for P2D. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yay, good for you, mason!

Hey, I hate to do this to you guys but I really suggest you use C++ + allegro + additional allegro libraries to make your games. I’ve already made 3 games in it this year, by myself, art, programming, design, everything. It handles all the resources for you, has neat functions for loading every format under the sun, runs fast, and isn’t really that far off gamemaker. I’ve already moved on to torque, but I can help debug code because I’m used to using it. As for my other project, you can hope to see a Metroid Prime 4: Redemption in the future (if I ever get around to finishing a project…) anyways, email me with any debug requests, and I might be able to help as long as there isnt too much to sort through. I know I’m chock full of false promises, but I’m willing to help if I have the time. This project cannot die!

Hehe, I present you with a challenge!
Go tell CFX, the C++ programmer of this project, that he’s doing it wrong.
I’d take your Varia suit.

In other words, this Demo is being done in GML, and there’s nothing you, I, or the queen of England could do about it, not at this stage, and CFX… no one really knows how far he is with the engine.

Does it handle platformer physics? I read that it handles trig functions (which I bet already exist in some very common C libary, such as math.h) and whatnot, but it doesn’t say it handles collision detection, which is probably the hardest thing about game programming.

Resources are hardly difficult to handle. I made my own little 2D OpenGL game template program (with a demo bouncing square with sound and music) for Visual Basic in around 6 hours. Made a silly little game with it in about an hour, most of which time was spent thinking of ideas.

I don’t mean to insult or anything, by an means, but if you spent 4 days making 3 games, I’m willing to bet they’re quite simple.

The idea is you write it yourself… it’s not that hard, you don’t even need trig for it… anyways, it does alot of 3D math that math.h doesn’t do, and the resource thing is just a bonus to save you from having to write your own bitmap format, access, and blit functions. It took me a year not a week, and simple? these have actually been selling, not at walmart mind you, but I bought my Wii with the profits.

Space shooter (OK, took me like 2 days…)
RPG (it’s longer than longcat)
RTS (Still in progress, but I’ll go ahead and send you a demo if you want. anyone else who wants, I’ll send)

I still have to learn more about torque, but once I have it figured out 100%…

Oh, and VB sucks don’t make games with it T_T.

There’s a little rule that I like to follow. The more the programmer has to think, the more efficient the program is going to be. Personally, I would use asm for everything, but that’s just impractical.

Allegro is EXACTLY what this project needs. Don’t believe me, I’ll make my own metroid engine. And I’ll even share it. This is of course, assuming that it works. I’ll give it a shot. wish me luck! The only thing is, how far should I go with the stock engine? scanning or no? Beam switching? how should it be done? It should only take me 2 weeks tops to get this to work assuming I don’t work all that often, so hmmm. I might have to open up a poll for this.

That sounds interesting plus very possible… Well done for selling the games! From what I understand, allegro an IDE that deals resources for you? Of course, quite a deal of programming knowledge would be needed. I’m very sure you’re capable if you sold games 0_0. Mason too and CF-X.

I just assumed since you said “this year” that you actually meant “this year,” not “within the last year.” :stuck_out_tongue: Congrats on your profits.

Awesome. I’ve been thinking (very little) about making an RTS for a long time.

You must never have used VB. I’ve got nearly 6 years’ experience and I can make games that run quite a load better than GameMaker’s.

Programmers in high-level languages can generally end up with the efficiency they want by thinking harder, yes. Using some DLL calls like CopyMemory can seriously increase the speed of some things. That example really isn’t using code native to the language, but it works, regardless.

Allegro is not an IDE. It’s just a code library. A bunch of code that you integrate into your own program. You could have looked it up. Here’s the Wikipedia article.

Yep, I browsed that just after he mentioned allegro. It’s a library, indeed. Thanks, though.

Dude, you really need to lay off CFX.

He’s not always a nice guy. He doesn’t have to be. But he’s also one of our most skilled programmers. I’ve never seen anything programmed by him. Many of us havent, but I assure you, Dazz, DF, and the rest of the old crew wouldn’t have so much confidence in him if he wasn’t as good as they say he is.
:angry:
And oh, CFX knows how much of the engine is complete, for the record.

Um, OK, no one but CFX.
I will not lay off CFX, I don’t think he’s right for the job, no matter how good a programmer he may be.

Get over your idiotic bias already. Okay, so he’s a bit of a jerk sometimes. You’re not being much better. Fact is, he’s a hell of a programmer, and no amount of BAAAAW HE WAS MEAN TO ME D: will change that fact.

Grow up.

You’ve got it wrong.
I think that his attitude will negatively affect his game making.

Simple enough?

Actually, his attitude is one of “I am awesome, look at how awesome I am, then you will notice that I am indeed extremely awesome, and I have copious amounts of awesome within me.” That attitude is good for making something, because then you’re less likely to blow things off and more likely to perfect things.

I don’t disagree, he has the potential, but he is completely unable to take criticism! Just think, where would you guys be if you’d never taken crit?

Don’t give up! You should try to continue this project! You have done well on this so far, and I look forward to the completed game! So many people would be disappointed if you just quit… :frowning: BTW: You could look for support first on the most basic things - I.E. sprites, If you get one thing out of the way you would have a lot more time to finish the rest of the game! If you’re curious, I have suggestions of where you could get help.

Uh, this discussion started last year and got resolved within two weeks. P2D’s back in the works now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe you should just lock it?

Woops… Sorry… I just read the post title and got all worked up… I should pay more attention. :O_O:

I havent really posted things here before but i have read alot of the post. I would just like to say if you stop progression of P2D all of that work will be for naught(nothing). If you need some help go to the yoyogames forums and look for C++ programmers or something. I would volunteer myself but i only know noobish GM7 coding.

If you need tiles look on google for tile sets of previous metroid titles and find the ones that resemble the images in P2D.

DONT GIVE UP!! GIVING UP IS FOR QUITTERS!!! AND QUITTERS NEVER WIN!!! IF YOU QUIT I WILL FIND YOU AND SMACK YOU WITH MY METROID FAN GAME!!!