HELP: how to do doors and room transitions in GM

Unless she’s set to persistent, you can’t. What you do is set the coordinates in global variables, which get carried over to the next room, and then have Samus teleport to those coordinates at the very start of the room (in her create event). So like this:

Upon starting a new game, just before going to the first room of controlling Samus:
global.startx = … ;
global.starty = … ;
// Where she starts in the first room of the game

Door instance creation code:
gotox = … ;
gotoy = … ;
gotoroom = … ;
// Destination room and coordinates for this specific door

Door object collision with Samus:
// Optional room transition code would wrap around this
// But that’s another story
global.startx = gotox;
global.starty = gotoy;
room_goto(gotoroom);
// Tell Samus to go to the coordinates this door leads to
// And then go to that room

Samus create event:
x = global.startx;
y = global.starty;
// This is when Samus actually goes to that point

Hard to explain without just writing the code. Get it, though? Global vars stick around from room to room, so you can place coordinates in them for Samus to teleport to at the start of the new room. Just don’t forget to set them correctly each time you go to a new room, or she’ll end up going to the last room’s coordinates in the new room–probably not good.

Also, I just happened to notice that this topic is… in the wrong board, and shouldn’t be its own topic.

In the future, fangame questions should go here:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/MP2D/index.php?showtopic=407

Somehow I didn’t notice that earlier. I won’t close it right now since we’re already into a discussion, and I don’t think moving the posts into it would leave any sort of notice here as to where the topic suddenly went.