I'm new here

Alright, don’t take this as some know-it-all jackass trying to make you look bad. Don’t see it as me complaining about the work you’re doing. Just see it as a set of reminders - many of which have already been said throughout other threads.

1. Mother Brain was on Zebes. She was blown up. Twice. There isn’t even a Zebes any more, and the fragmented chunks left certainly wouldn’t be suitable as ‘miniature planets.’ Everyone and everything on Zebes is gone.

2. Ridley is probably dead. He was crippled in the first game, turned into some weird cloaking cyborg (Edit: I just say cyborg because of the sound, I really have no idea if there’s anything different about him)thing in Super Metroid (I am ignoring the 3D games, more on that in a bit), and then was killed again. His frozen corpse was put on a research satellite, taken over by a parasite, and then annihilated.

3. They pretty much gave up on trying to interweave the Prime series with the 2D games. The whole story in the 2D series is that there’s a lack of Metroids, and you’re trying to kill them off or find some way to make them less of a threat. In the Prime series, there’s an abundance of Metroids, and they’re just kind of annoying. The Pirates look different, you go to different places, etc. There are a few mentions here and there in Prime, but aside from those (which look to have been added in solely to give some sort of connection), just about everything’s different. Prime 2 has almost no relation to any of the 2D games - they kind of gave up on that relationship around that point. To Clairify, Metroid Prime was originally the title given to a Metroid game which revolved around a metroid known as Metroid Prime. The game loosely (loosely) followed the 2D series. Later, they decided that Metroid Prime would be the series. Even though Metroid Prime 2: Echoes had no Metroid Prime in it, it was part of the series. Yes, Metroid Prime is supposed to take place in the same scheme, but it follows a different storyline. In the 2D games, Samus must try to (a) kill off all the Metroids then (b) solve the mystery behind their sudden appearance on BSL. In Metroid Prime and 2, the whole story is about following the Space Pirates with their Phazon fetish and now finding out what Dark Samus is up to.

4. The games themselvs, as one person pointed out, should be original. Calling your game Super Metroid Prime Fusion Hunters 2 Zero Mission Echoes, The Return of Samus [First Hunt] is not original. The names in each of the games was there for a reason, so give your game a name that pertains to what you’re game is about. Metroid Redemption is a good example of this. The game is about redemption. Aside form P2D and possibly a few others that are actually recreating or expressing the same story revolving around Metroid Prime (the Metroid itself), the games shouldn’t have the title ‘Prime.’

5. Again, this was already pointed out by another user. Don’t dream too big. If you do, your game will come out bad. Think about the story, build an engine, and then slowly start to put together your game. Your game will suck if you don’t think it through. Come up with a good system like P2D has. I admit that I’m not entirely fond of it at the moment, but what you see here is only a demo of what they’re going to have. Take out the bugs, and you have a very good control system. If your game’s players can’t control the height of the jump, the rate of fire, or even the coordination of their own movements, you have a bad game. I’m sorry, but you have to admit it - if all the Metroid games thus far had controls like what I just mentioned, no one would have bought them. Also, no midi. Midi is bad. If you have to use midi, just don’t have any music. You need an example? Listen to this (direct link to MP3) and then these.

6. You suck at pixel art? Well, that’s too bad. So do a lot of people. Just have someone give you a bit of help! There are people out there who define fun as creating pixel art. The same goes for enemies and maps. One guy can have a good and original ([b]original[/b], enemies from the previous games are great, but come up with something new) idea for an enemy or map, another guy can have the skill to draw it, and a third guy can have the time to turn it into useable material for your game. All you have to do is ask them.

b: I just noticed this. There are a few minor problems with it, but this is exactly what I mean when I say ‘good control system.’ This is incredible compared to a lot of what I’ve seen. It’s almost as good as Metroid Fusion or Metroid: Zero Mission - it can be just as good with a little tweaking.

I’ve played Metroid Legends, and I’ll honestly say that I didn’t like it. Why? It felt like it was thrown together. The same goes for Metroid Redemption and Metroid Legends 2, but to a lesser extent. Last Escape, however, has a very intuitive control system that well imiates first-party Metroid games.

I mean no offense to the creators of Metroid Redemption and Metroid Legends (2), but I have to be honest about my opinion.

(Edited): When I say originality, I don’t expect you to come up with a completely new storyline. Just get some new enemies enemies and a good flow. For example this is an enemy that you’ve probably never seen before. The tileset, not including the background, is modified to some extent. Rather than just getting the sprites, I even edited a few of them so that they all appear to be lighted from the same source, though I forgot to add the lights themselves as seen here. Just pretend that there are actually lights in that picture.

This picture is another example where the lighting all matches pretty well. All the ‘surface’ art is lit, but anything beyond is dark, suggesting a low level of atmosphere. This picture however, isn’t so good (same guy?). The lighting of the room itself suggests an ambient cool, white light. However, the monitors suggest a more radiant hot light coming from either up or down depending on which one you look at. The monitor tiles/sprites are 16bit as well, so they don’t even really fit well with the other tiles. This can be fixed with a nice retooling, but whatever.

If you look back at that picture that I made, you’ll notice that huge thing taking up most of the screen. I did not make that. I spent around five minutes editing a completely irrelevant sprite to make it fit generally with the art style of Metroid. It came originally from a Sonic game. Another ten minutes and I, despite having relatively little skill in spriting, could have made it look ten times better.

Using 16bit Kraid, a 32bit Ridley, 32bit Samus, and a melange of 16bit and 32bit tiles that everyone here has seen before doesn’t create a good game. Giant hulking robots, however, do.

(Edited): Also, make the language fitting and rid your game of grammatical errors and incoherence. If you say “well i liek that idea lol” here, no one cares. However, you don’t see that too often in games. Why? They’re trying to create a realistic atmosphere for you to escape to. I played one game here, and it said that Earth was orbiting around the Milky Way (or something along those lines). Being as it was a demo, this is fine. Just don’t let errors like that get into the final game. Beside that, make sure you use words properly. Don’t call something a “meteor” when it’s a “meteorite.”

(Edited):

(Edited):

[/b]

In conclusion, I’ll make an example. I have created (Edit: Not really, just as an example) a game based off of Metroid. I’m not good with names, so I’ll give that job to the people on this board. I’m also pretty bad with pixel art, so I’ll send off for people to make a spritesheet that has what I’m looking for. I naturally prefer to do this rather than copying everything from the other games. I’m kind of new at coding, in fact I can barely do any coding. Rather than trying to do it all on my own, I ask for help or wait for something that I can use (such as seen at Metroid Classic or Super Metroid Classic) to make my game. I can’t write a story worth crap, so I tell someone what I’m trying to convey and they craft it into a coherent tale. See? I can’t do anything at all, yet I just went well on my way to creating a Metroid game.

However, this doesn’t mean that you should actually be that lazy. You need to have some real contribution in your own game. If you come and tell everyone you have this great concept, that’s not going to cut it. You need to be willing to work on it. If you say “Wouldn’t it be cool if we had a game where Kraid and Ridley combined and you had to fight them?” you can’t expect much. That’s not even a very good idea, no matter how ‘cool’ one person thinks it sounds. If you instead come by with all the basic artwork, music, sound-effects, story, and such done, you’ll get somewhere. If you can come up with all that, finding a team to code it won’t be a hard thing to do.

One last time, just about everything here has been said by other members on the board. I just consolidated it. And remember, if you find that your game looks like this, it’s time to start re-thinking your strategy.

I totally agree! This should be pinned :confused: Except for one thing. No midis? What? Midis are small and usually quite easy to make plus all computers can run them. Wavs are WAY too big except for sounds. And with mp3’s you can’t control volume or ANYTHING in gamemaker 6 because it uses Windows Media Player. Also mp3’s can not be used by some computers. So pretty much midi’s are best for music. And WAV’s are best for sound effects. Other than that I totally agree :smiley:

No midi. Midi may be small and easy to play, but they sound bad. There is no argument against it. WAV may be big, but at least you can play it! I don’t care what you use as long as it’s not midi.

Midi’s are not best for music. How about I turn every song you own into a midi? You think you’d like that? I didn’t think so.

I’ll even give you an example. Play Metroid Legends 2 and listen to the music there. It’s bad and there’s nothing that you can possibly do to fix it. It’s midi, so it’s stuck that way.

Yeah, I like the way MP3’s sound better :blush:

I agree with almost everything you are saying. :smiley:
I am using all MP3’s in my game besides on the
tittle screen and the music sucks. What is your
game anyways, i would like to see it. And
one last thing, I was given a GM tutorial
site with lessions, I can give it to you and
you can see how to do some things.

I don’t have a game, but I’m here if anyone needs any non-coding help on theirs. The situation above was hypothetical, though I do hope to use 2DSSPGC or Super Metroid Classic to make a game. Speaking of which, you should take a look at the demo for Super Metroid Classic.

I’m not the best at anything, but if there’s something you think I can do, I’ll try.

(Edited): This picture and this picture are basic examples of how I can mess with sprites. The Samus sprites are just rips, but the background was a complete re-tooling based on the art used for save rooms in Zero Mission. The Battle Clash guy was edited as well.

That was a very good write-up, and I agree, it should be put down as a “FAQ” of sorts for this section of the forum.

I just noticed this. There are a few minor problems with it, but this is exactly what I mean when I say ‘good control system.’ This is incredible compared to a lot of what I’ve seen. It’s almost as good as Metroid Fusion or Metroid: Zero Mission - it can be just as good with a little tweaking.

I’ve played Metroid Legends, and I’ll honestly say that I didn’t like it. Why? It felt like it was thrown together. The same goes for Metroid Redemption and Metroid Legends 2, but to a lesser extent. Last Escape, however, has a very intuitive control system that well imiates first-party Metroid games.

I mean no offense to the creators of Metroid Redemption and Metroid Legends (2), but I have to be honest about my opinion.

Midis sound good if your soundcard isn’t outdated as hell. Ridley gets revived all the time, so what’s wrong with him coming back again? Also, MP is completely intertwined with the 2D ones. They happen BEFORE the 2D ones, dammit, hence why there are still metroids. Different pirates? Holy shit, they changed from Super to Fusion, too! Mother Brain, however, you’re totally right about. Same with the controls and names. Still, I think you’re bashing a lot of stuff that … shouldn’t be bashed.

Alright, fine. You’re free to put midi sound files in your game as soon as you do what I just said above - you have to convert your entire music library into midi files. You’re perfectly free to use those horrible sound files in whatever you want, but I’d like to see you go a day where every sound you hear from your television, your radio, your MP3 player, your CD player, etc. is pure midi.

No, Metroid Prime is supposed to happen after the first game. Metroid Prime 2 is supposed to happen even further along the story - Samus even has the same ship she does in Super Metroid. If you didn’t notice that, it’s fine, but I’m pointing it out right now.

The change from Super Metroid’s sprites to Metroid Fusion’s was very little. It’s no different than the transition from Super Metroid Zebes to Metroid: Zero Mission Zebes. They just upgraded the art from what a 16bit system can do to what a 32bit system can do. Everything here is meant to be a copy of what it was in Super Metroid, only upgraded to meet the capabilities of a 32bit system. It’s like saying Metroid 2 was very different from Super Metroid - the only reason it’s different is because a Game Boy can’t do what an SNES can.

Metroid Prime 2 takes place right after Metroid Prime, not way later in. She has the ship for the first time, and it;s then seen again in M2, then SM, then Fusion’s intro.

And the sprites changed a lot more than just transition. Pirates grew beaks and feathers, turned from grey/green to bright purple. Gerutas mysteriously turned into cyborgs. Etc, etc, etc. And look at the transitions from Metroid 2 to Metroid Fusion. Compare Omega Metroids, for instance. Or how about the Halzyn, whose abilities also completely changed.

She has a different ship in Metroid Prime when compared to Metroid Prime 2. I never said that the two were very far apart, just that they didn’t occur way before the first game.

They merely changed everything to how they want it to look right now. If they re-released Metroid 2 and 3, they would look like the GameBoy Advance ones do. Nothing was grown - they just looked a bit different. The reason the Halzyn and that rolling claw thing with the shell are different are because Metroid 2 is old. They wanted to make the game look like they want it now, not like they used to have it. And the Green/Purple isn’t constant with Zero Mission, so it’s probably similar with Ridley X where they changed what he looked like to simulate something that the X had done to it.

I never said they occured before the first game, just before most of the 2D ones. And the ship is the same, just with, you know, graphical changes. Just like what they did with Fusion.

And Gerutas were not robotic in Super. They are in Fusion. Pirates had no beaks, feathers, or purple coloration. THey have all three in Fusion. Tell me how any of these are based on technology. They’re GRAPHICAL CHANGES BECAUSE THEY WANTED TO UPDATE THE LOOK. NOTHING MORE. Just like when they changed the pirates for Prime. Oy vey.

It’s a different ship. One has guns. They don’t even look the same. If they wanted it to be the same ship, they could have made it the same ship!

They’re not robitic in Zero Mission. Again, this is probably to simulate something relating to a change such as seen in Ridley X. They had beaks and feathers (though I thought they were just ridges in their backs) in Super Metroid. Look here. They’re just 16bit versions of the same thing.

(Edited): Still going to push how great midi is?

Okay, first off, neither has guns. Second off, the pirates changed even more than the ship, but no one’s saying THEY aren’t the same. See, for Prime 2, they tried to make the designs look more like the 2D games. Hence pirates getting claws, and the ship going back to its SM design. It’s a DESIGN CHANGE.

Okay, so the pirates have beak-ish things. But they still changed plenty. They also have dorsal fins in Fusion. Retractable, bright green fins.

Nowhere to be seen in Super’s.

Gerutas aren’t robotic in Zero, which is exactly my point. They don’t in M1. They don’t in ZM. They don’t in SM. They do in Fusion. It’s a design change.

Stuff changes in these games for no reason. They change designs. They change attacks. They change movement patterns. They change names at times, even, although this is usually rectified later (zoomers and geemers, for instance).

The moral? A change in design does NOT mean it’s different. It simply means they wanted to change it. This is not a valid reason to say something is not in a certain place in the storyline.

This is irrelevant anyway.

And by the way, what the hell is that about Ridley in SM being a cyborg? He’s never been a cyborg except in MP.

Fine, I’m not sure what you call all of these, but it has those.

In Fusion, they can also transform into fish-like version of themselves. It’s again meant to simulate what the X have done to a few of the creatures.

They aren’t robotic in Zero Mission, but are robotic in the game where the X keep changing what everything looks and acts like. Ridley X - I’m going to keep saying this every time you try to point out a change like that.

The name changes were due to translation. There is no Maru Mari in English. The attacks change because the new games are capable of more than the old games.

For Super Metroid, I just thought he looked weird compared to all of the others. I don’t know what the difference is - I just said cyborg because of the sound he makes. Reborm, uncrippled, whatever you want to call it.

Yes, Metroid Prime and 2 are part of the story line, but my point is that Prime is the logo that they give to the storyline that focuses on Phazon, her chasing the Space Pirates, etc., as where the 2D ones are about her trying to kill every Metroid in existance or otherwise eliminate them as a threat.

My whole point is to come up with original ideas. Calling your game Super Metroid Fusion Prime…, having you fight Ridley, using those same three suits, etc. are getting old. Come up with a real story, not ‘Samus goes off to fight Dark Samus at the end of Metroid Fusion - oh, and she’s lost all her gear.’

Small point to make, but you can’t very well design new suits. You have your inhospitable environment suit, you have your deep sea diving suit, what else can you make? I’ve see such things as the “Aqua Suit” and the “Toxin Suit”, but those are both covered by the Gravity Suit. Plus, purple looks much better.

Fusion suit was pretty original. Dark, Gravity Booster, and Light weren’t really any different than Varia, Gravity, and Phazon, though. One was protective, the next allowed safe passage in water, and the last allowed protection against something particularly dangerous.

Fusion isn’t original at all. It’s just the normal suits with a new look. It has the exact same upgrades.

As for the suits, Dark is actually quite different from Varia, seeing as it slows the rate of damage, not stops it, plus it’s used for literaly half the game, isntead of just in one zone that only damages you if you go the wrong way. Light gives unique abilities as well. What other suit lets you teleport? Gravity Boost is not like the Gravity Suit. Grav Suit does not give a jetpack ability.

Oh, sure, they’re minor edits. But what else can you ask for? They already covered just about every idea possible for a suit. Anything at all is just an edit of an existing one now.

To be honest, the only point that I can really make for the Fusion suit is that it lets you absorb X parasites.