I'm new here

hoss swanson, you have some good points. However, mindlessly bashing, yelling and flaming aren’t among them. Daz is right on most of his points: Looks change because they were made to change. You, the giant fan of originality, should be applauding the changes. Daz is right on another point: MP2 is directly after MP, hence the series. Try thinking with a clearer mind. [/rant]
And don’t double post. :whack:

I didn’t double post, did I?

My point about Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 is that you’re following a different storyline than in the 2D ones. Your goal, your nemeis, etc. are basically different. In Metroid Prime, you’re trying to discover something about Phazon. In the 2D ones, you’re trying to uncover some big secret revolving around Metroids. If you got rid of Prime 1 and 2, then the 2D games’ storyline would still make sense. If you got rid of the 2D games, than Prime’s storyline would still make sense. Randomly combining the two just because you like both of them will not work. You need to give the story a good flow.

Nothing I have said is mindless. I am writing with a fully clear head. One member clearly posted that he would prefer that critics be as brutal as possible (who and where this post originates escapes me), and I’m doing just that.

I think Hoss is just being an elitist bastard who’s trying to make everyone’s games fit his Hitlereqsue vision of the “Aryan Fangame”. :wink: Come on, it’s a fangame, dude, you can’t expect that much originality due to that fact alone.

And yes, you double posted, but I took care of it.

That was me, by the way, about the brutal critiques, but that’s not how I meant it.

I’m not being an elitist bastard. I’m just saying what everyone has already said - just consolidated into the post on the first page of this topic. People say they want harsh critics, I just gave them one. Some people are agreeing with my point on midi, others aren’t. This is by no means elitist. You agree with certain points, others disagree with them.

Oh.

How callous did you want it?

All I’m saying is that you’re demanding a level of originality and expertise that most fangame-makers don’t have. See, generally when someone likes something enough to make a fangame for it, they like it how it is, and don’t want to do everything possible to make it different from what they liked to begin with.

I know they have this level of expertise. They just need to learn that there’s time involved a project. Do what P2D and Super Metroid Clasic are doing - band together to make the game happen.

Look. We were arguing about area names of all things. This game has them. Polaris is just “Polar” with an I and an S added to it, but it’s a name. Simple details like that are what can make or break a game. I don’t eve know what Brinstar means, but it’s a name. There’s an entire team with each member dedicated to doing something. It’s not quite up to what you’d expect from a real Metroid game, but it’s not even half done. Imagine what it’s going to be like when it is done. And that guy who just said I’m mindlessly bashing quickly replies to their “annihilator suit” with

This is exactly what they needed to know. I have to say I didn’t like it either, and now the team knows.

Next up, this is what the game should feel like. That’s all he’s really done in his game, but it’s there. This is really good work. Please remember, though, that I’m not saying that every game has to look and play just like that. If it’s fluid and coherent, that’s what matters.

Good game here, too. It needs a bit of fixing here and there, and I think the name needs to be changed, but it looks like it can become really good; I mean Nintendo good.

Last on my list, Metroid Legends 3. I’ll say it right now - I don’t like 1 or 2 very much. 3, though, looks like it’s going to be great.

Yeah, there are others that I like, but these four are the only ones I’m going to talk about. Don’t take my critique as being completely hateful toward what everyone’s doing. I’m just saying that there are things that people will like, and things that they won’t. Those four up there can probably be really good, as can others.

(Edited)

See? People are clearly able to work. Some just aren’t willing to spend the time, and others just can’t find anyone who is willing to band with them to create a game. We have one guy just sitting there who can create sprites and make music. He can even give you good ideas and help you with the story. Has anyone thought to ask him for help?

Games don’t finish because people really want them to be done just as quickly as they snap their fingers. I’d like this, too, but we all have to accept that there’s time invloved. There are posts littered around the site where people talk about how they don’t have games any longer because they were scrapped. Why were they scrapped? Because the creator was overwhelmed with work.

Even the strangest ideas can be fun. But read the posts below the first one. Everyone’s already saying that he can’t do it alone. Everyone’s telling him what to do and what not to do. Now this guy’s sitting there with a ton of work that needs to be done, and he comes up with a good idea. He turns the game into an engine with an editor. Now that he’s getting a relatively simple editor for the commmunity to use, he’ll have the entire forum working for him.

Also, I have one last point against midi. Listen to this (direct link to MP3) and then these.

This is agreeable with me. (WARNING: Longer post than I thought it was, read if you want.) I may end up having the whole forum work with me on my fangame. I mean, I already got a lot of content thought up, a little too much. I’m just a bit overwhelmed right now with the amount of stuff I’ll have to program.

Engine to be the same as Fusion’s/Zero Mission’s? That’ll take quite some time and effort.

Large areas with huge rooms? That’s just begging to be a better game, but will require lots of skill.

One secondary beam for each original beam, adding up to 10 beams, and Charge Combos for EVERY Beam? Holy crap, even I admit that that is a bit much to program, so I might need some help.

I really am not original with bosses, because I am reusing some already used bosses from other games, such as:

Kraid? Is okay, he needs to be in more games as much as Ridley. (It’s TRUE.)
Ridley? He’s seeming to become a main villian for Samus, but it’s getting ridiculous of how much he’s being freaking revived.
Torizo? They are either a Chozo defense system for Zebes, or an alien race resembling the Chozo in looks, completely different in motives (evil); whichever theory is correct, I’m using the latter. If it does end up being a Chozo defense system, then I’ll be kicking my ass from here to Timbuktu.
Draygon? He’s only appeared in one game, one more teensy appearance can’t hurt right? Still it seemed as if Draygon was a native to Zebes. However, you have to explain how Draygon’s minions were in Fusion…
Mother Brain? Holy crap, I am REALLY kicking and punching myself for putting this boss in the game. I thought of Mother Brain being reborn in the final area BEFORE I learned about MB being a ZEBES-ONLY defense system. ****. I’ll more than likely get bashed by all the plot-technicality critics for this stupid job. Still, I’ve put in MB emblazoned into the storyline, so I’ll have to come up with a DAMN good explanation for this…

Even with all these bosses being reused for my fangame (quite unoriginal), I’ve compensated that for making the bosses have more attacks and being harder to beat at the same time. Example:

Kraid: Has faster reflexes, and has a new ball-sucking ability. (Oh. My. God. I feel so damn dirty right now. :blush:) He starts breathing in air, and you’ll have to roll up into the Morph Ball and lay a few Bombs once inside him to cause the final blow. (WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME AND MY SEXUAL INNUENDOES!!! :angry:)

Now that I look back at my post, it’s not often that you see someone bashing their own fangame ideas. :laughing: :laughing:

I have what I think is an intersting way of explaining Kraid and mini-Kraid for Genesis. I am thinking that Kraid is a biological weapon designed by the Pirates using stolen Chozo technology. That’s why you see smaller ones-less grown-and bigger ones. It’s not the same Kraid from game-to-game.

As for the Torizo, I’m using the theory that they are a powerful Chozo defence system that malfunctions at times during Super Metroid, because they always help you in the first game.

One of the reasons I like these theories so much is the gameplay possibilities. It’s likely that, at one point or another in Genesis, you will assault a Pirate base alongside of Chozo resistance members and Torizo, and in another part, get to torch (literally-flamethrower :smiley:)the Pirates’ research on the Kraids.

Uh, what torizo help you in the first game? They weren’t even introduced until the third. >_>

And I’m pretty sure the manual stated that they were just defence systems. NOt malfunctioning, just guarding items.

What do you call those statues that regenerate your energy and weapons, and tell you where to go? A bit too long-legged to be Chozo statues.

And, good, I won’t have any story-fanatics knocking at my door telling me exactly what Torizo are and are not.

Chozo statues implimented so that people won’t get stuck searching throughout entire game. Keep in Mind that Zero Mission is built for people on the move, so they don’t expect you to have more than ten minutes in between each save.

Also, Torizo started in game 3.

Ugh, I always thought those were Torizos showing you where to go. >.< Anyway, they’re still defence mechanisms and there’s nothing wrong with using them in my game.

Go for it. It’s much, much better than this: “I want Kraid, but with Quadraxis armor and those turrets in Metroid Prime 2, because Metroid Prime 2 is so good. Also Samus has the Fusion suit, but not the orange one because that big Metroid in Super Metroid took it. I’m using this, which I made all on my own by editing one pixel that I didn’t like.”

Ehehe. Funny. :slight_smile:

I believe that the Torizo are going to be some of the hardest creatures to sprite…

If you’re already trying to get a GBA look, you shouldn’t really be doing that much spriting. Try using what you see in the GBA Zero Mission as a base.

Eck. Take a look at the Genesis forum post. :slight_smile: The sprites are literally-not purposefully-the size of the NES ones. Much more detailed, I assure you, but I won’t be using any GBA sprites any time soon. Besides, I prefer custom content.

Not bad, but no matter how thin the suit is, your sprites are a tad disproportionate. The abdomen, thighs, and shoulders are too thin, but the head is too big.

The torso is fine, actually. Look at a picture of Samus, her torso below the large armour plate is quite thin. I don’t see how the shoulders are too thin, they’re as big as the head. The head is as small as it can get and not look like crap.

Unless, of course, you’re talking about my large Samus sprite, which is a WIP.

[size]

[/size]
The funniest thing about that post is that says certain games are good in there, but he was flaming them not too long ago. :unamused:

Which ones?

Also, I have created the embodiment of what everyone’s game should never be.