Jumpman vs. Swordsman

Starman, definitely, because if Mario can knock around Link for a while before activating the Starman, Nayru’s love will deactivate, and Mario will have the upper hand. Or better yet, Mario could just jump around to avoid Link until Nayru’s love deactivated, and then he activates the Starman, and just runs through Link.

The legend of zelda is just more fun than the mario series. In mario, you jump around until you reach the end. How do you beat bosses? You JUMP on them or throw them. In the legend of zelda, every room is a puzzle to be solved, every dungeon has a new object to solve puzzles with. In zelda, Each boss requires a different strategy utilizing each new item. That is why I believe that link is more fun to play as than mario.

Hey there Skullmiser, it’s good to hear from you again.

Although I am still fighting for Mario, I must point out the flaws in the Starman logic. First, Starman is gone after ten-fifteen seconds, while Nayru’s Love lasts 2-4 times longer. Plus, I think invincible Mario would just knock Link around, and not shatter the shield, since it seems to be able to withstand anything, within a short time period. Additionally, I doubt invincible Mario could kill Link with one hit…I think if they battled outside of the 2D arena, the Starman would just increase Mario’s speed and power, and make him invulnerable to damage, but not a one-hit killing machine. Otherwise that is ridiculous.

Don’t forget items Link had in other games that made him invulnerable…

(P.S. Your opinion matters. Deal with it.)

It seems we seem to disagree again, Nostril Kitty. True, the Starman does not last NEARLY as long as Nayru’s love, but Link can still be knocked around. True, a one-hit kill is very ridiculous, but if Mario had the ability to choose when to activate the Starman, then Link would have little chance. Mario isn’t just strong, he is smart. He does have experience, adventure-wise. I’ve always sort of thought in the 3D arena, so I believe that my point still stands. But if Mario simply touches the Starman and is instantly turned invincible, then my argument falls apart. But I believe that in Super Mario Brothers 3, you choose what items you wish to use at will (I think its 3, could be wrong. It’s the one with the racoon hat, if you’re really that curious).

Mario can only store one item in that inventory, however. If he uses his starman, he’ll have to search around for a new, hidden one. Nayru’s Love uses magic, and Link, if he ever runs out of magic, only has to slash a few bushes to get it back (as magic is very plentiful in OoT and MM). Not to mention, as Nostril Kitty said, that Nayru’s Love isn’t the only ability Link has like that.

Mario being able to knock Link around while both the starman and Nayru’s Love are activated is irrelevant: if Link can’t take any damage, what good is knocking him around going to do? Link will just be thinking “weeee” as he goes flying without getting a single bruise. Link also has gods on his side.

Okay Starman is flawed then. What about his hammer? It’s instant kill too.

I think the RPG-style Marios would be a bit more fair for this comparison, considering he actually has life, weapons, and items like Link. >_>

The hammer is NOT instant kill. The hammer he uses in Donkey Kong only kills those weak little fire things, and smashes barrels. The hammers he gets in Mario Bros. 3, with the suit do considerable damage…more than fireballs…but in a 3D battle against Link, neither would be instant kills. That would be like saying a bomb from Link would instantly kill small Mario. I don’t think we can measure them accurately from their 2D incarnations

As Daz has mentioned, RPG Mario is definitely a more comparable version, and he uses a hammer in that as well. Now I believe he is quite skilled with the hammer…perhaps as much as Link is with the sword. In the Paper Mario’s and Super Mario RPG, he has limited skills…although one of them is a spin attack, and another involves slamming fire with the hammer, I think an accurate representation would be his skill in Mario and Luigi, with many of the Bro attacks…his movements are fluid and varied, in ways Link has difficulty matching.

And does anyone KNOW what other items Link had that made him invincible?

(P.S. Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Which one is more cost-effective?)

I dunno. In Paper Mario, He has considerable abilities. Especially in the latest one, where you actually control his movements in a battle. But alas, I really don’t feel like debating. I’m kinda out of it. I just ran out of steam after that last post. Troid, you are quite right, but once again, if Mario can just knock him around until he runs out of magic, then activate the starman, then Link’s in a pretty tight spot, isn’t he? But Alas, I suppose that it would be pretty hard to wait out Link’s magic supply, especially if he continues to replenish it.

I think that the item that makes you invincible in Twilight Princess is the magic armor. Pretty sure, actually. It uses rupees, which can be found in tall grass, so that basically falls under the “wait it out or die” category as well, but it really suck if Link ran out while Mario was pummeling him, and then have to A. Hide and change armor; B. Fight him off while wearing the cumbersome armor; or C. Take it like a man. I think that B would be the most likely of the three. :laughing:

Metal Caps also allow for invincibility, and I’m pretty sure at least one star ability he gets in PM2 is instant kill. =D Though it doesn’t work on bosses.

Ima gonna say Link why? because hes freakin awesome (fanboyishnessness aside) he has an inventory of items that are all kick ass (cept in Z1) and I’d like to see Mario’s hammer compare to the skull hammer or the megaton hammer :smiley: , nat to mention dins fire and the awesomeness that are bomb arrows. so Link FTW!!!

Syntax Man, your statements were illogical, and poorly explained. The Skull Hammer, and Megaton Hammer, while they are powerful weapons, if Link went against Mario wielding THOSE, he’d get his ass kicked. Repeatedly. Followed shortly by the rest of him.

See, when Link uses those hammers, he’s slow…and I mean SLOW. He attacks slow, defends slow, and basically just MOVES slow. Mario, while not a blindingly fast demon of death, is speedy, and probably significantly faster than Link to begin with…so slow, poorly defended Link would get creamed. Besides, Link would be better off matching Mario’s hammer with his sword and shield. At least Link knows how to use those effectively.

As I said before, Mario’s arsenal of weapons, while maybe not QUITE as numerous as Link’s, could easily match them. Seriously.

(P.S. You all know the phrase nice guys finish last. But, in the context of that common line…notice how they’re the only ones mentioned that finish? At least nice guys entered the race…)

Seriously, Link is the winner: Mario has powerups, but so does Link. Link has bombs, a sword, a shield, a long-range boomerang, a bow, and, and… an ocarina. Plus he has brains: Think of all those mind-crushing puzzles throughout the series. An example: I still haven’t finished OOt background laughter, and it made my brain ache finishing Hourglass. And that’s without mentioning A Link to the past. Mario just jumps from platform wheeing and wahooing, like some retard.
BTW he always goes in the wrong castle to save any princess, may it be Daisy or Peach.

Your statements, like Syntax Man, are illogical, and inaccurate. You are first assuming that Link is in fact doing all those puzzles, when, by Nintendo’s own admission, the same Link has never been in more than two games. Additionally, Mario does considerably more than jump around…as I said before, there are six, rather good, Mario RPG’s, Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario 2, M&L 2, and Super Paper Mario. Those games had their own share of puzzles, and let’s not forget Dr. Mario. That is a PUZZLE game. The whole game is a puzzle. So do not say Mario is less intelligent. He has just been in a different style of gaming.

And we can not forget the undeniable advantage Mario can get with the Cape, Wing Cap, Raccoon Suit, Tanooki Suit and P-Wing. All of those allow him to fly, and if he could shoot fireballs without a fire flower, as Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga would appear to indicate, he could retaliate to Link’s projectiles with his own, in midair. That could be very interesting.

(P.S. There is no one watching you. No one is right behind you, breathing down your soft, pale neck, waiting for you to drop your guard. Seriously. So don’t turn around.)

I agree with nostril, items and combat wise, mario can keep it up with link, and he have a lot more experience than link, he just know how to battle aganist link, and, as almost all of link’s moves was shown in SSB, then mario know his abilities, while lots of his items and his most powerful attacks was never shown in SSB…

Take a look at Mario and Link in Brawl.

Mario = Super pwnage fireball that fills the whole stage
Link = Stabs x times while victim is trapped in a Triforce

what’s your point?

and the fireball of mario will only fill half of the screen (horizontaly speaking)

MMM…You’re right NK, I forgot about M&L, and Dr. Mario is a puzzle game that almost made me cry it wsa so hard. Considering all the suits, games and abilities, I would say that it would be quite a close fight between Link and Mario. Yes Link is ‘unexperienced’, but he does finish each quest (game) in a successful way. Therefore he can stand up to Poppa Mario. I am sorry to say so, but Link has more items than Mario.

Link may finish each quest successfully…but so does Mario. I don’t see what point you were trying to make there. If we go by the logic of the same Link never being in more than two games, and Mario’s been in dozens…then Mario has more experience, and has faced a wider variety of foes. Plus, don’t say his adventures were easier, they were just different. The six RPG’s, 64, Sunshine, the platformers…all the sports and Parties…that guy has been in a ton.

And I’m not so sure Link really has more items. Starman, Mushroom, Fire Flower, Hammer Suit, Frog Suit, Raccoon Suit, Tanooki Suit, Warp Whistle, P-Wing, Cape, Mega Mushroom, Mini Mushroom, Blue Shell, Wing Cap, Metal Cap, Invisibility Cap, FLUDD…there’s a bunch more, but I’ll leave it at that for now.

By the way…has anyone figured out the chronological order for the Zelda games? Nintendo hasn’t released it, but they said there is one so…? I’m pretty sure the first game, chronologically is Minish Cap, since that’s the one where Link got the cap. In all the subsequent games, all the Link’s have the cap so that would seem to support my theory…

(P.S. There is only one answer. There are multiple questions. The only problem is…I don’t care. Fatty.)

Link isn’t inexperienced. Each chosen Link gets abilities and things handed down from the previous Links through the gods (by a number of ways–fate, chance, spirits, ancient-skeleton-knight-singing-phantom-wolves…) and goes on an epic adventure, leaving his own marks on the Triforce of Courage for future Links (Like the hat symbol). “Experience” is definitely a part of these “marks”, sort of like how Tetra changes when Zelda is summoned through her. (It wasn’t just a change of clothes she got from the Triforce of Wisdom–she also got a ton of wisdom from it, which had been shaped by the “previous Zeldas”)

Either way, when people say “Link” outside the context of a specific game, they’re usually referring to all Links (the binary file stored in the Triforce of Courage >_>), not any Link (usually due to ignorance, but that’s irrelevant). I don’t see why it should matter that there isn’t just one of him, especially when each Link ends up with the courage and experience of his ancestors from the Triforce of Courage.