Math

It’s a hypothetical area. :unamused:

You can’t just set hypothetical terms in math. That’s like setting your own axioms >_>
How could you prove the answer if you couldn’t set the problem up? Go ahead, show me what the answer is.

EDIT: After doing some research on wikipedia, the question seems to be meaningless since distance can’t be defined in terms of i at all, and you can’t define sides of a square without defining distance. Even distances on the complex plane are real numbers.

Math is hypothetical. But fine, I’ll give you a solvable problem. =)

What’s the side length of a square with area of 100?

<_<

Math is built on axioms, and you can’t just make shit up outside of those. The axioms are hypothetical, sure, but you can’t add onto those if you’re working in real math.

and 10 <_<

Then what prevents using i when calculating length? That it isn’t a real number? That it can’t exist in real life?

That it’s impossible to set up a problem that gives you a length in terms of i! You can’t demonstrate to me two hypothetical objects with an imaginary distance between them. You could assume that imaginary areas work the same way as real lengths, but there’s no way to get that from the axioms.

Okay, fine. I’ll write the exakt same question, but without using WORDS.

x^2 = 200i
find x

j?kla bajsare

Not the same question, but here:

x = +/- 10 * sqrt(2i)

True.

uh hello

10i^4 ft

is

10 ft

you CAN state something in terms of i

i = root -1
i^2 = -1
i^3 = negative i
i^4 = 1

yes it is

Again, you cannot state a length in terms of i.
That will be all.

Chagi, nein.
x^2 = 25 isn’t the same as solving for the side of a square (x) with an area of 25. The answers are, respectively:

1. x = +/- 5
  2. x = 5
    And there’s a reason for that. There exists no such thing as a negative length (or imaginary length).

but… i just did…

Oh hey, the solutions are
x = 5
and an hypothetical
x = -5

I’ll just let that word sink in for you;

hypothetical

read it a few times and you will soon realise that its true

It’s actually a logical proven -5.
Addition and multiplication are defined such that -5 * -5 = 25. It’s not any more hypothetical than the positive 5. There is no way to derive the length of a square with an area of 200i from first principles.

Anyway, I just spent a while doing this question for math homework, have a ball with it:

I hope the images for the equations stay up. If not, they’re
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 4
and
x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + 4x - 2y + 4z + 5 = 0

Pom, I should have said you can’t say a length in the form of a complex number (a + bi) where b can’t simplify to 0. Better?

yes.

You are nerds.

quiet you!

No. This topic scares me! I feel so fucking dumb!

We are the epitome of nerd. Its quintessence, even! Bow before us, knave!

pat pat