Metroid Engine (GM6)

Hmm, I’m pretty new to scripting. Could you give me a tutorial or something on how to make the energy go down? I’ve tried typing “set variable global.energy relative to -1” , but nothing’s happening. either that or the HUD doesn’t show it. :confused:

That’s where a lot of the fun stuff is!

I mean, I don’t like to just make the story and the sprites and then just throw it all together and hope I get a good game… That makes stinky games, and if everyone did that, then no game would be worth playing, because they’d all be pretty much the same.

Selfishness/pridefulness is never a good reason to do something. Say someone comes along who doesn’t know how to code, but wants his/her story stuck into an engine…who will help? Nobody? Well, that person’s just gotta stick to a normal story. We all know how much more fun a game based on a story can be than just a story.

well, of course like its been said this whole time, its very buggy, but it could help.

I tryed making the Metroid Engine a .EXE using Game Maker 6.1 (Free Version) and it gave me a bunch of errors. Can some one help me with my problem?

wow it helps me a lot,thanx

bump :stuck_out_tongue:

Bumping = Dazzy smites u!!!

BTW I remember someone made Metroid Fusion 2 or something like this…

bumping is common in all forums
i dont know whats wrong with that

ya but its not ethical. you cant just make a post that says “bump” you have to have a reason to bump it, such as in my sprite thread. im always out with new sprites and so i bump it with the sprites im making.

Bumping is also annoying. THE REASON WHY NO ONE IS POSTING IN YOUR THREAD IS CUZ NO ONE CARES ANYMORE. Bumping won’t make them care.

yes it will
ill show new members that didnt browse thru the pages
:sweat:

to WWakerFan: Hey dudester how come when i extend the rooms and when i start to test it, it’ll just say:

P.S. the extended part was where the elevator room is and in the right. I also noticed that when you get there, on the minimap YOU DONT EVEN SEE THE LITTLE HATCH ICON!! So can you correct my error im really confused i dont think i know my own name anymore thanxs. :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

the engine isn’t really easy to use, everyone just a notice, if you want to make a game, make your own engine, it is easier than going through someone else’s hard work and scrambling things up!

Actually just so you know i understand it and all but i just cant seem to know what to do in the room cause if you go to oupost room and look at settings>creation code. you’ll see a bunch of code that is what i dont get but oh well…

all that code is related to my custom view & minimap code
if you’ve noticed while i have one large room it appears as a whole bunch of separate rooms ingame, which array to get the information from is gotten by your current position

if you don’t know about arrays i suggest looking it up

the variables with hidden in them refer to invisible boundaries, the other variables are just graphically related to the minimap

the reason as to why you recieve an error is because while you think your extending the room, your actually creating another one and thus needs its own variables defined just like the rest of them

i have (or was…) try to develop methods to generate all that code for you based on what was in each section since… after all quite bothersome
i have made quite a few changes (separate rooms, power bombs, missiles, ^^what i just said above etc.) so maybe i might release an update

the engine really wasn’t made or posted to be used by other people (infact i didn’t bother to even fix up my mistakes before posting it :stuck_out_tongue:), but for people look at the code and understand the concepts implemented and maybe see how difficult it can be to make an engine like this in the first place (to detract the “i believe i’ll be able to do this this and this without knowing a thing or almost nothing” kind of noob)

i see what you mean…well thanks!!

Aww, I don’t understand Code… plus it’s registered only. Oh well.

just find the code that required registered and delete it for a test…

Cruel … but realistic.

IMO one of the most common mis-conceptions about Game Maker is that it will “make games for you”. Its true you dont technically need to know how to program to use Game Maker, but even the DND interface uses programming logic. If you cant at least think like a programmer or be able to diagnose and solve lateral thinking problems, Game Maker isnt going to bring you any closer to game making than you originally were.

If you know how to program on the other hand, Game Maker is HEAVEN! It pretty much gives you all the options of an actual programming language and has prescripted functions or automated interface for just about every tedious/annoying task in actual programming languages.

If you want to get the most out of Game Maker knowing C++ or Java up to and including Classes and Inheretence will have you ready to make anything you want in the blink of an eye.