Metroid: Samus Returns

I figured I’d make a separate thread for the other Metroid game that was announced at E3: Samus Returns!

I’ll get us started with a dev diary link that explains some of the new mechanics in the game:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BCPx2SX7Hk

Some of the game mechanics are really cool. I’m reminded of Dark Souls when Sakamoto introduces the melee counter attack. Parry/riposte was so cool and satisfying in that game. Rewarding the player for making the correct moves at the correct time is a great methodology to keep in mind when designing games, and it’s one of the hallmarks of the Souls games. Here, we see that a precise counter is rewarded by stunning the enemy. I think it’s a great direction that Metroid is heading in.

Another noteworthy mechanic, free aim, is finally being introduced to “2D” Metroid! I’m not exactly sure I like how it’s implemented, as it requires the player to stand still and can take time to orbit your aim around, but it’s definitely an improvement over the old 8-directional model. Did the 3DS ship with a touch screen? I feel like that might have been a better way of doing precise aiming like that.

I’m not sure if I like it being released on the 3DS, since the Switch seems to be encroaching on the portable/handheld space, and I’m not sure how much longer the 3DS is going to be supported as a result. In addition, if it were a Switch title, I wouldn’t have to buy both a 3DS and a Switch. :stuck_out_tongue:

Overall, it looks great, though. Can’t wait to see more footage of it!

I am looking forward to this game. I’m a bit skeptical because I am not a fan of 2.5D games, but I really hope it exceeds my expectations.

Yeah same here, but my 3ds is collecting dust atm. I really hope they do a good job on it. Metroid needs a good comeback really.

I downloaded the presskit for SR (388), and I have to say it looks like the presentation was rushed. The logo in particular is hilariously bad. If any of you remember my Outrider logo from years ago, it is the exact same. Text + the same Photoshop Bevel + THE SAME METAL TEXTURE + the same stock Photoshop lens flare.

I was not kidding. Full resolution, direct from Nintendo.

There is also a bunch of really odd stuff going on in the Prime 4 poster.

lol. I think Nintendo may have originally planned to release a trailer later but changed their mind a short time before the presentation. the game itself looks good, the only issues I had with it is the look of the combat system and the 2.5.

No kidding. I never took a look at their press kit, because I’m usually not particularly interested in press kits, but that thing is a mess. I guess getting a nice logo was not one of their priorities.

HMMM I remember when the logo in the Federation Force reveal trailer was basically Powerpoint movement effects over a still background. Who would’ve thought that lazy logos would turn into a new Metroid trend… :neutral_face:

It will probably be improved before the game is released - I hope.

So now that the game has been released and people have had a chance to play it…

What do you guys think about Samus Returns? :smiley:

Unfortunately I do not own a 3DS, and therefore have not had a chance to play it.

Granted, It’s not like I have any free time these days anyways. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know really. I don’t own a 3DS and I haven’t played it that much. :frowning:

I’m pretty sure I played it more in a several-week period than any other Metroid game to-date. Like, I played it four times through. It had some glaring flaws (coughleveldesigncough), the likes of which I’ve never seen in a Metroid game before, but it was so much fun!

I also never turn up the difficulty on my games, as I like to chill, but…

I also beat it in under 4 hours on the fourth play-through, and I think it’s the first time I’ve gotten a really good time on a Metroid game due to that same “I like to chill” mentality. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s impressive. One of these days I need to watch a Let’s Play just so I can get up-to-date on how the franchise is progressing.

Sorry for bumping old thread.

I think MSR was pretty good. It wasn’t spectacular and I still think AM2R was better but it was an enjoyable little romp. While it was kinda cheesy(look at the Omega Metroid counter) it was interesting to see a more combat oriented Metroid. If you have a 3DS and you haven’t played it yet, I highly suggest giving it a go.

Soundtrack did a better job of capturing the original themes of each area than AM2R did, but overall AM2R had the better compositions and more memorable tunes. Also 2.5D, ew. It’s one of the better-looking ones but it could have benefited from some good spritework instead.