Metroid X v1.3e Alpha Build Test

Meh, I guess I program for the fun AND for the experience and practice since I plan to design/program video games as a career. I must just have a different way of thinking because of that. I can see where you’re coming from, though, to make games simply for the fun of making your own games.

Very nice additions to the Alpha version. Not as many glitches very nice. You might also want to add a debug mode that gives you all the upgrades. For you so that you don’t have to beat the demo to test everything.

theres a terrible bug (it might be intended). Samus should always be able to walk under 2 blocks high, but in this engine she cant!

This engine is based on Super Metroid, not Metroid Fusion or Metroid ZM. In Super Metroid she was 3 blocks height.

really? i never knew it. anyway, looks great keep up the good work.

Try this:
Tap left and right, not at the same time but pretty close. She starts dancing! No seriously she does.

Update: Check out the Scan Visor Screenshots … let me know what you think.

ooh.

Updated! - Version 1.2b (see first post for info/download)

Yep, still alive guys … no vaporware! XD

Let me know if you have any troubles with the new features.

…Hehehehehe. I made it into the to-be boss room before collecting ANY items and then made my way out. I think you need to improve the wall jump system a bit. :stuck_out_tongue: Too bad you added ceilings or I would’ve found myself in an SW.

Other than that, it’s still a decent engine with a lot of glitches.

Edit: Well, okay, I did collect one item before getting to the boss room, but it was only morph ball bombs. I didn’t even have morph ball yet, so they were useless <_<

How did you manage that!? lol.

Well done regardless … I’ll do some more rigorous Wall Jump testing I guess (no doubt thats how you got up there).

On the bright side I can say someone was so ferverent they “early itemed” my game. Yay for me! lol

I think he made unlimited Wall Jumps intentionally. I believe there was a room where you have to wall jump like 1000000000 times before you can move on. THat is the room i got stuck on in 1.2a

You can unlimited Wall Jump in all the Metroid Games. Troid is talking about wall jumping up the same wall - and somehow getting past the overhang on the door to Room 4. I havent been able to do it myself … I nearly had it twice though and I know its possible now. Since its so hard to do I might leave it in for Super Secret use, I can just extend the overhang so its too long to reach over.

btw: A major bug I’ve noticed slipped through with changing keys. If you change the directional movement keys, itl work but my methods of fixing the “holding left+right buttons” bug wont apply to the new keys, I need to go through the Player Object and change all references to ‘vk_left/vk_right’ to the new key map variables.

I’ve also seen some wierd behaviour with doubling up keys that needs to be sorted out.

Other than that it seems to work.

If you’d like to know the secret, you just have to hold the direction you’re walljumping in for a little longer, because then when you change directions the direction is reversed instantly. Thus you can gain a little height after each walljump. If you try reversing your direction right when you jump, you’ll take a while to make it back to the wall.

Also, if you want me to, I could make a large list of every glitch and problem I encounter like I do with many fangames. It’s going to be really, really long, mind you, but it’ll help you fix up the engine a whole lot for the next version.

Have you ever played Metroid: Fusion? One wall jump, tested it out myself. And I don’t think i need to be a fag and answer with Metroid I and Metroid: Prime but yea. Otherwise great additions. I found the jump physics more Metroidy and the minor tweaks to the rooms made some annoying wall jumping unnecessary. 2 Thumbs … up!@

That list will be awesome, thanks … put some additionally testing into the keys for me will ya? XD.

But yea I see what you’re talking about… its really a matter of fine tuning i guess.

Umm yea lol Metroid/Metroid Prime I guess. But umm Metroid Fusion you can infinite wall Jump as I remember it, just like in Metroid ZM and especially Super Metroid.

Did you play it recently?

http://www.metroid2002.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4892

…>_>
Fusion does indeed have infinite single wall jump. Unintended, though :stuck_out_tongue:
Edit: The movie file doesn’t seem to be working for me right now. Maybe there’s another movie somewhere else in the topic that still works.

Edit2: As for the glitch list, I’ll keep editing this post with all the glitches I find unless somebody posts while I’m still beginning. Then I’ll just cut and paste it over to a new post, to keep it a little more organized. opens game and begins

• If you aim diagonally with the up and right/left keys, fire, then release the up key right away, you can sometimes remain with the aiming diagonally sprite, though you’re actually aiming forward
  • You can avoid the walljumping momentum by moving in the direction you’re travelling in a little longer before turning around, allowing for an infinite single wall jump
  • You should only be able to crouch while standing still, so you can aim down diagonally with the down and right/left keys.
  • You should be able to turn while crouching, and also escape crouching with the left/right keys
  • If you’re holding right/left while un-crouching, you run in place
  • If you land on the ground while turning, you freeze in place until you crouch, turn around, or jump
  • Morphing into doors can get you stuck until you unmorph – IF you can unmorph. If you can’t unmorph and don’t have morph ball bombs, you’re stuck.
  • If you spin jump a little bit in the front of a closed door after walljumping (I actually managed to do it pretty far away, so maybe the door part is irrelevent), you will freeze in the air and be able to listen to the spin jump sound loop. You can escape this by pressing away from the door.
  • If you press down in the air, you will always be aiming down for the rest of that jump unless you’re holding up. But if you release up, you’ll be aiming down again.
  • You can also get caught inside the door doing this, with the only way out being to shoot the door
  • Directions you are pressing but release immediately as you enter another room will remain “pressed” in the next room until you press them again yourself. This can be fixed.
  • Your aiming system is really messed up. There are so many glitches I don’t even know where to begin, since everything I do with aiming seems to be a combination of many glitches. Just try fixing it up a lot more so I can actually pinpoint some glitches.
  • Aiming down or up while spinning will still play the spinning sound
  • I managed to get the spinning sound to play while I was standing, thrice now. One method I’ve found is walljumping right before reaching the ground. Pausing will stop this.
  • If you unmorph in the air, you will get stuck a few pixels in the ground
  • You’re invincible while crouched, even if you’re not translucent. Also, if you crouch while translucent, you’ll remain translucent until you morph or stand.
  • Firing directly up or down while touching a wall from the right side will cause the bullets to hit the wall.
  • I’m not sure if this is intentional or not, but there is an infinite bomb jump technique.
  • Holding two opposite keys at the same time can produce a few more bugs, such as:
    • Pressing and holding both left and right while turning will cause the turning animation to infinitely loop until you press the direction Samus is turning in
    • Pressing and holding the opposite direction you’re moving in while moving will cause you to run forward at that same speed, so you can run really slowly.
    • Release the direction opposite the one you’re facing in while holding them both down and running, and you’ll run forward while still having scores 5 or 1. This sometimes even continues after jumping and landing, though this will usually cancel it out.
    • Hold up while standing, press down (once or twice, doesn’t matter), release up, press (until you’re standing) and hold up, and fire. You will fire up but you will be facing to the side.

…Alright, I think I’m done for now. I need to save some of my patience for testing out the new P2D demo promised today. I’m all beta-testing’d out right now. >_<

Thanks man … true beta tester at work here.

Btw infinite bomb jump is intentional, but I’ll tweak it a bit to make it harder.

• P2D today!!?? omg!

I thought Unlimited Bomb Jumping was part of Super Metroid was it not?