My own Metroid sprites

How many more animation frames do you want? I know, y’all are proffesional(ish) spriters, but seriously, you can’t add that many more. I’ll see if I can figure out what you mean and come back later with an update.

Thanks for reviews. :slight_smile:

if u want to improve it, then take the standing up straight sprite out of the animation and replace it with a new running sprite. Seriously, watch smeone run and tell me when you see both of their feet that close together while being completely straight.

Ok, how’s this?

All I did was take out the still-standing sprite and replace one of the older sprites with one that was updated right after I made the first animation.

Need I even explain what’s wrong? Even the creator of the sprite, who will almost always be biased, can’t possibly miss that her leg magically teleports from forward to back without a single transition frame.

I’d say it’s pretty good for a first try. The animation is kinda stiff though.

Well, it’s more fluid at least, so at least that is a start.

Hi! Obviously, I’ve updated, otherwise why would you be looking at a several-weekds-old topic? :stuck_out_tongue:

First of is Samus. This one will likely be used for Genesis, but it also serves as practice for larger sprites for whatever my next project will be. (I know she’s missing an arm, I’m trying to decide what to do with it)

The next one is my updated Varia spritesheet. It also includes all beams, items, and weapons so far. (kudos to Mason for adding to my crummy flamethrower sprite, and for reminding me that the red flames are on the outside, not the inside)

The large Samus looks nice but her armor is rather inaccurate in a lot of ways. Mostly the legs and the lower torso.

How so? I know the torso armour has seperate pieces, but I haven’t yet found a way to draw that without it looking bad. As for the legs…what’s wrong?

P.S. Not trying to sound incredulous or infalible, I just wanna know what I’m doin’ wrong. :slight_smile:

Also, lose the neck. It looks horrible. Just drop the head onto the torso really. it’ll look better. I don’t have much experience with spriting, so I have no real say in what is good or not. If you want to improve it, then google a pic of a Zero Mission Samus for reference.

Which is better?

By the way, I did find a pic of the Zero Mission armour. I decided to go with a slightly more Prime look, though.

The head is too big, the lower torso still looks totally wrong, her upper legs are too long in comparison to the lower, her feet are misshapen, her visor is oddly shaped, and her chest is too short. :wink: That work?

It definitely looks better sans neck, though. :slight_smile:

The head, I can sorta see…I’ll try to fix that. I’m still waiting to be told what’s wrong with the torso… Leg problem will be fixed. Feet…erm…have you ever looked at a pair of boots not sideways? They, er…look kinda like that. And as far as I can tell, the chest is fine.

Thanks for critisism, I’ll keep working. Remember, I literally went from ten-pixel tall sprites to this! :slight_smile:

EDIT

Modified the legs and head…how’s it look?

The torso lacks detail, it’s too long, and it’s misshapen. And it bends at an angle the real one cna’t. The legs are still off. The shoulder pads are still deformed. It’s coming along nicely other than that.

But uh, most people said it looked better without the neck, so why did you add a bigger neck? >_>

I didn’t add a bigger neck, I made a small head. By the way, her head was fine before. Her head is the size of the shoulder pads on the Varia, not the shoulder pads on the Power Suit.

The shoulder pads are not deformed, they’re simply not being looked at from the same angle.

I’ve already said why there’s no detail on the torso, and I’ve said I’ll look into it.

I’ll work on the legs.

And as for her torso…have you ever seen this? Her torso is at the same angle on those sprites as it is on mine.

Where are those sprites from?

Those are from the Spriter’s Resource.

The Spriter’s Inaccurate Resource.

Found’em on the Shyguy Kingdom, but it’s down, so I couldn’t link to it. That’s just a cool pose, I don’t see what’s wrong with it. In case you haven’t noticed, my large sprite isn’t facing you head on, she’s got her head turned slightly sideways.

Dude, are you blind. The head isn’t turned sideways. Her body is turned slightly sideways. Her head is looking directly at me.

By the way, Daz is right. Your shoulder pads are deformed, and one final thing. If you want to make the sprite look more “primeish”, then make the shoulders orange, and lose the “muscles” on the arms. Prime’s powersuit arms were basically just all straight.

Edit: Almost forgot. I’ll repeat again. Lose the neck. Don’t shrink the head, lose the neck!