Non-GM fangames?..

MMF’s layout and programing language are rather sloppy. When I tried it, I found myself liking GM’s flexibility much better. Although it’s true I don’t have nearly as much experience in MMF as in GM, that’s why.

Its a pity some engines take so long to build, I’ve spent the last few months just designing the basic framework on mine, and barely scratched the surface with the coding.

In the long run I’ll be a lot better off than using something like GM or MMF due to the way i’ve structured things.
eg. like theoretically with my engine i could have a network connection or AI work though input rather than being part of the actual object, this then allows any object capable of using input can be controlled over a network, or by a form of AI “on the fly”.

If I were to attempt something like this in game maker it would most likely require a fair amount of coding, and for each object too which means more work for me, theoretically I guess that would mean by using someone else’s framework that isn’t really designed specifically for your needs (like how game maker is designed to create any kind of game) you can end up creating more work for yourself.

Err… the link to DF’s new demo is broken…
And Bounty SUCKED imho. It was demo in quality and length. But it is “finished” and would be undoubtedly the better fangames out there.

Most Game Maker games are only easy to recognize because of the loading system, the F1 menu, the function key uses, the default message graphics, the lack of a built-in framerate system, and various other things, all of which are easy to hide/fix with some extra or clever programming.

But physics? Collision? Animation? Those same problems in these areas happen in any language. Don’t associate them with Game Maker, since they’re not Game Maker-specific. Associate them with bad programming. Game Maker just happens to have a large database of bad programmers. >_> (which kinda makes sense)

It was a demo.
Learn to read.

…the fuck?

Hm? I thought I made it pretty clear.

i thought DF or MH said “P2D will be made in game maker, it is to far in development to change”.

Not the final version. The final version is being made by CFX, and he’s using C++.

i like where this is going.

I’m not making the final version. I’m making MetEngine, a completely unrelated project. Kthx.

Which is extremely likely to be used to make the final version. >_>

And the final version of P2D will be one of the only, and definitely the most popular games made using MetEngine <_<

likely to be used, maybe.
I WON’T be making P2D though, that’s what I mean, and that’s what I want you to keep in mind.

“But physics? Collision? Animation? Those same problems in these areas happen in any language. Don’t associate them with Game Maker, since they’re not Game Maker-specific.”

I’m not saying bad collision/animation/physics are Game Maker-specific. I’m saying that all Game Maker games seem to have the exact same animation/collision/physics problems. The exact same ones. I don’t know if you know what I mean by the “feel” of a game, but it’s the same for GM games the world over. Actually, Metroid: Zero Mission felt like a GM game too… and looked like one (gameplay AND cutscenes)… good Christ was MZM ever a failure. >_<

And I’ve already played Metroid: Bounty. It was definitely cool, and definitely the best Metroid fangame I’ve ever seen; the only problem was that what it had in every field besides design, it lacked in design. But most of the design problems can probably be chocked up to it being a demo. But being a demo is no excuse because you should make a completed version. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, he has bad taste in particle effects, though that was more humourous than anything. :smiley:

Aaaaand the link to the new P2D demo is broken.

I know what you mean by the “feel” of Game Maker games. It’s a kind of sickening weird mix of good quality and bad quality simultaneously unbalanced, like “I’m making a cool platformer yet I have no idea how the momentum and gravity work”, but it’s really hard to explain.

I guess my point earlier wasn’t that great, because while most GM games are poorly made and most C++ games are more organized (which is what causes the GM feel), that means that most GM games have the GM feel and most C++ games don’t, so that’s all you can really expect, along with a large run-on sentence.

I think…

that on some level…

we agree?
Actually, I disagree with “It’s a kind of sickening weird mix of good quality and bad quality simultaneously unbalanced” because I rarely see any good quality. Unless you mean, like, the quality of whatever professional sprites the GM game is ripping. But the momentum thing is exactly what I’m alking about.

I found a fangame that looks pretty promising. I admit I’m not a big Sonic fan myself, but he seems to have amstered the 360 degree engine.

Link

EDIT: This game is being made with MMF2. So for anyone who says “clickteam sucks,” this game is going to prove you wrong once it’s completed.

Yeah. We agree, and I did mean the quality of ripped resources, along with bits of Game Maker’s script engine itself.

I was just taken aback at first because Game Maker games are only bad when the programmers are bad, just like any language. But, since Game Maker’s database is 99% new programmers, you can’t expect much else.

Still, I’ve seen my fair share of really good Game Maker games, so I’m still going to treat them as if they were made in any other language until I play them.