OS "Discussion"

I think you’re the one who hasn’t listened to a single thing I’ve said, actually.

It doesn’t matter if I haven’t used it, because it’s not a real improvement, not because I have specific problems with it. I don’t care about 2000 → XP because my first Windows was XP, but I’m sure it was pretty shitty in its own right.

You can’t honestly tell me your computer experience has changed since you started using Vista in a way that couldn’t have been done with XP.

‘It doesn’t matter if I haven’t used it, because it’s not a real improvement
Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am a plane.
Or more accurately, hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i am a plane who thinks ‘How the fuck does Tim know it’s not an improvement if he hasn’t used it, and more to the point, he doesn’t care about 2000 because it doesn’t concern him? Oh, I get it. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooom through the sky wooooo’

Tim, either you’re deliberately missing my points, or you’ve turned into a self centered moron who doesn’t understand computers anymore.
You’ve lost my respect, tim. I expected you to be more intelligent than this.
Oh, and, ‘You can’t honestly tell me your computer experience has changed since you started using Vista in a way that couldn’t have been done with XP.’, I think you’ll find it has, mate. Flip 3D, far from being useless eye candy, is a great app switcher, and freeware ‘switcher’ uses the DWM to gove live previews, meaning I can keep track of all my windows at once. So yeah, the way I use my PC has changed massively, but go ahead and tell me I’m wrong again, because after all, I’m just a plane.

I’d be happy to install and use Vista for a while and then continue telling you it’s pointless, if it’d make you happier.

Topic split.

And PY, stop flaming.

I’ll stop flaming when Tim stops trolling.
There’s no other explanation.

Tim, I would be happier, yes. Because if you’ve tried it, and don’t like it, well… that’s ok. So yes, try it, then, we can continue.
I am a plane.

<3

No, you’ll stop flaming when the goddamned staff tells you to. What, you think the fact that Tim supposedly broke the rules makes it okay for you to, too? Grow up.

Not to mention that he’s hardly trolling. Being a bit dense, perhaps, but not trolling.

On topic, in my experience, Vista blows. Hard. My programs crash constantly, none of my Vista-running computers will go online–and tech support has never been able to figure out why (note that my XP and Ubuntu comps have none of these problems). It boots slow as shit, has a clunky interface, less program support, doesn’t support my gamepad that every other computer I’ve used supports (including Linux, despite it being a Microsoft pad)… I could go on, but all that would do would give Tim and his cronies more fuel. At least I’ve actually used the damn thing.

Unfortunately.

The only trouble XP and Ubuntu have ever given me was hardware-related, and that only happened because my power strip quite literally exploded, frying the PSUs. >_>

I like Vista, and maybe I’m not having much slowdown issues because I have a descent PC to run it on. I haven’t run into any problems with compatibility, but I will give it to Daz that some programs do crash more often, and I never had this problem with XP. Still, I’m a gamer. And because I’m a dedicated gamer, Vista is a requirement. I need my DX10.

Daz, take it easy, it was a joke, damnit.

Looks like you’ve had a really bad experience with it, yeah. And I can’t begrudge you disliking it, because you’ve used it.
Internet thing seems odd, though, does it detect the hardware, or is it a driver issue?

To be honest, if I weren’t an ATI card using gamer, I’d be running Kubuntu KDE4 right now.
Oh, and @ the interface, I wouldn’t know, I like explorer, but every other part has been circumvented with other programs :stuck_out_tongue:
Though which programs crash? I’ve not had any more crashes than XP (Though my XP rig was damn unstable), although it does seem to dislike shutting down, which is incredibly slow, though I can forgive it that, because it’s actually doing quite a lot there. Startup is super-fast, once you’ve kicked useless processes in the head.

I think I’m ready to make a statement, guys :smiley:
‘Vista is a fine and dandy OS, so long as you put the time in to configure it right. Else it’s a bit slow and bulky. Oh, and patch uxtheme as fast as you can.’

DX10 was a big selling point, it has a lot more power, though it’s almost totally untapped. We’re almost to the point where ray-tracing is feasible. How awesome would that be? <3

wtf is raytracing

Aww, I luv u tim.

Raytracing is basicly reflections on round objects. As in, tracing rays to make it look real. Next time you look at something mirrory and round, see how your image is distorted. That’s raytracing, and it look awesome.
~P ‘couldn’t care less about a shiny object, but put it in a game, and he’s all over it’ Y.

…can I just stick to calling you “PY”? The nickname’s a good 50 times longer.

Also, that’s a pretty cool idea. I assume you mean curved though, not round? It doesn’t seem like it’d be that difficult to do with a sphere. But of course, I know nothing <3

Curved, round. Yeah.

It’s not a case of difficult, really, it’s that it’s really really really processor intensive.

Well, that’s what I mean. It shouldn’t be too difficult for a processor if you already know the shape of the curve.

Wait, I’m confused. Maya and such have been doing raytracing for years. Why exactly do we need to develop stuff to make it feasible?

As for the internet thing, I have no idea. I’ve tried hard-wiring each laptop to two different modems on two different connections, I’ve tried varying wireless connections, etc… it sometimes says it connected, but never lets me use the internet, ever.

At 60 frames per second, Daz?

Ohh, you mean in realtime. I missed that entirely. >_>;

lol.
Tim, you have to think about what it’s doing, though.
Sure, it knows all the data, but actually generating an image, taking all the angles, is just such a number-crunching feat, it’s slow. Poor thing :frowning:

(Just to show how processor eating it is, I don’t beleive Crysis even attempts it :stuck_out_tongue:)

I hate how everyone’s always bashing Vista when it’s not that bad once you turn off the User Account Control. That’s a huge performance hog.

It looks better than XP as well. I really really like the new streamlined look of it.