Project Dread 4 (New Video)

-Project Dread 4- Galactic Federation Metroid Fangame

Project Dread is back, and this time the swarms are out of control! Fight off a never ending swarm of enemies in Project Dread 4’s Survival Mode, or test your skills in all new campaign missions! Find out who’s the best Hunter with the addition of a High Scores system, and massacre countless foes with new weapons, including the Prototype GF Rifle and Mobile Missile Launcher! An old threat returns and it’s even deadlier than ever, it’s up to the Federation to stop the new-found menace and prevent the ever-growing threat to galactic civilization!

Project Dread 4 is in development and will be coming soon… However, an Engine Demo is complete to show off some of the components of the game. Dread Engine v1 features 4 different enemies and all of the available weaponry.

Note: If you’re curious, the death music was taken from Fallout 3 and is temporary. :stuck_out_tongue:

Update: New Gameplay Video
Dread Gameplay Video

Download Link:
Dread Engine v2
Dread Engine v1

Plans for Build v3:
*Critical Hit System
*New GFAI Deaths depending on weapon used.
*Third music layer to play on certain situations.
*GFAI to drop health and ammo.
*Possible new GFAI type.
-Dread Engine v3 Trailer-

Update information (build v2):
Essentially the same as the previous post.
Bugs fixed, other additions:
*Weapons and Upgrades not being reset upon death.
*GFAI troops now have a smaller line of sight. They shoot twice as fast to make up for it though.
*GF Trooper bleeds open getting shot, to show damage is being taken.
*Heartbeat sound added when health is 25 or below.
*Automatic weapon reloading added. Holding down “Fire” for automatic weapons will reload automatically when you run out of ammo.
*Automatic weapon switch added. When you run totally out of ammo for a weapon and press “Fire”, it will equip the Stun Stick.
*Weapon scrolling mod implemented. Press “fire” to change weapon (when new weapon is in the icon) to switch. Used to be right Mouse. Key now free for possible secondary firing modes.
*Fixed puffer glitch where damage wouldn’t be dealt unless you were standing still.
*Double Jump modified, easier to pull off.
*Slightly changed bullet rotation for Jackhammer shots.
*Added new main menu buttons.
*Changed location of the Missile Launcher so you can use it from the start of the game.
*Stun Stick dash now penetrates through multiple fly enemies.

• Modified GF Rifle (minigun) has lower wait-time when preparing to fire. Overheats faster.

Screenshots:

Please post your comments and questions about the Dread Engine here, criticism is always welcome.

sounds good, will download asap

Can it be assumed I can find Project Dread 1-3 on the interhighway for free?

very nice
the HL sounds made me lol

Hahah. This is cute :stuck_out_tongue:

I like it!

Looks pretty cool…matter of fact I like it…but cute…>.>

cute?

actually i have to agree
im not really sure how, but it is kinda cute <_<

That was actually really fun, man, well done :slight_smile:

lol…anyway…I’m really looking forward to the finished version!This game is really fun…even tho I die a lot… :stuck_out_tongue:

that was great! you guys made a very good demo and i really did enjoy it. so i owe you my say on the game.

there was only a few proble,s. number one, if you go down a slope you sort of bounce down it. another is that if you die using the #7 gun, the bullets will be floating in midair where you were shooting at. thats it. and then to be picky the double jump felt akward and the #7 bullets seemed too dark and resembled what you would think is health, had it not been mowing through the corpses of my foes.

The AI was great though! I especially note this for the other federation troopers (who i thought were my team mates at first lol) because the quality was impressive. The level design too was very nice, and knowing that this is just a demo I expect the full version to be even better. I can’t really say good job on everything because then that would take too long so even though i didnt mention the rest, i just mentioned the things that stood out the most.

does expending the port on screen make the sprites too crappy though? For a heldheld system the size is perfect but on my monitor it seems a little small. not complaining, just asking.

great demo, hope to see the full version soon :smiley:

Very nice overall.
I kinda fell stupid for asking this but where is the post death music from? I mean I recognize it but i just cant put my finger on where

also the minigun thing made my computer and its crappy ATi 9200 go all clipping and stuff

just look at the first post.

or if you’re too lazy to find that

lol

UPDATE:
Fixed several glitches in the game so far. Build v2 will be out soon.
Bugs fixed, other additions:
*Weapons and Upgrades not being reset upon death.
*GFAI troops now have a smaller line of sight. They shoot twice as fast to make up for it though.
*GF Trooper bleeds open getting shot, to show damage is being taken.
*Heartbeat sound added when health is 25 or below.
*Automatic weapon reloading added. Holding down “Fire” for automatic weapons will reload automatically when you run out of ammo.
*Automatic weapon switch added. When you run totally out of ammo for a weapon and press “Fire”, it will equip the Stun Stick.
*Weapon scrolling mod implemented. Press “fire” to change weapon (when new weapon is in the icon) to switch. Used to be right Mouse. Key now free for possible secondary firing modes.
*Fixed puffer glitch where damage wouldn’t be dealt unless you were standing still.
*Fixed the infamous “No Weapon Glitch” where the weapon switching animation would freeze, rendering you completely defenceless.
*Tweaked the Double Jump. Jump height not as random, easier to pull off.
*Fixed glitch where upon death, fired shots would freeze in mid air.

To-Do List:

• Shrander is currently working on replacing the buttons. This will also fix the “no-fade buttons” glitch.
  • Controls Menu showing the default control setup.
  • Possibility of weapon secondary firing modes.
  • Possible window size option.
  • Health Packs
  • GFAI enemies to drop health and / or ammo upon death.
  • If GF Rifle (mini-gun) bullets are too dark, make them brighter.

Thanks for all the comments, we’re working on trying to fix all of the problems brought up so far, and we hope to try and update the demo weekly with progress. Also, to answer s123’s question, all of the official Dread Classics and other game demos made with Dread Engine are all available on the games current homepage. It’s probably worth noting that Dread Engine has gone through several changes and has even been completely remade in the years it’s been in development. So if you plan on playing Dread 1-3 or other miscellaneous demos, they’ll play differently than the current version, and they were all made quite some time ago so the demos can be quite glitched at times. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dread Classics and other Misc. Demos can be downloaded from HERE.

ok, so i played it more
and
angelic chorus
looove iiit

though i realized i had a rocket launcher and a freeze beam after everything was dead =[

i also request a grenade launcher, or other weapon the bounces off walls/floors/ceiling xD

cant wait for build v2 ;D

the halflife noises still make me lol
i love it xD

yea it took me until the point where everything was dead to realise i had the rocket launcher too lol

Pretty sweet :stuck_out_tongue:. Next release, you should really give the player a chance to use the rocket launcher on some enemies! I mean sure, they could take their chances, run through the stage to get double jump, then back to the beginning, but I’m pretty sure that most people try to kill all of the enemies in their path before proceeding, heheh. Nonetheless, nice.

Dread Engine v2 released! Check the Metroid Headquarters (metroidheadquarters.com) main page for more information. A download link is provided on the first post of this thread, also be sure to check out the game’s MHQ Page if you haven’t already.

Build v2 is identical to the original, but my goal was to fix the issues brought up by you guys. A list of the main changes is edited in the first post, there are several changes in addition but my apologies for forgetting to log those down while working on it.

Looks, and sounds cool. I cant get it. (stupid mac) but it sounds great. I’m getting it the next chance I get.

Released a new Youtube video so you can see the latest build of Dread Engine in action! Click HERE to check it out.