Rotis

I’m not asking you to move it back Daz, I just don’t get why you consider Mason a “fan” in this context…

He’s a fan in my mind in that he’s a fan of the project and an amateur developer as opposed to a big-budget team who happens to follow the project.

Can we get back to discussing the game and not my vernacular, please?

(Also he compares it to several big-name puzzle games, so a stretch of logic could lead it to being called a fangame of Tetris, et. al)

i"m a fan of this kind of game, and it’s really good and the elements are pretty well balanced. Personally I think the rocks and portals idea is a bit random though. You mentioned disappointment at the lack of response and that it’s a quality game, well I think that’s mainly due to the lack of graphics. They’re pretty pixelly and I think effect based graphics such as blocksum (look it up) would work wonders in making the game more exciting. also the music is really unprofessional, but I’m no audiophile so I can’t offer advice.

Well anyway, it’s a good game and i just bothered to log in for the third time ever just to support you. (I’m interested in game design too)

and dazuro, i think 072’s rationale of calling art fanart is just as valid as calling this a fangame, the ease of creation shouldn’t affect the name.

Alright, here. Let’s say we had an Art forum for discussing famous painters, and a Fan Art forum. Whether it’s fanart of a game or comic or not, people would post their own drawings in the Fan Art forum instead, because the Art forum is for “discussing artists” and the Fan Art forum is for “posting your art”, according to their respective forum-descriptions.

Actually, part of the reason that there’s a lack of response is cause I can’t run it on my computer.

Of all the things I’ve done for Rotis, the one I’m newest to is music. I have made probably 20-25 musics total at this point in time. Graphics are what I started doing on computers when I was some 5 years old… But I didn’t put forth a lot of effort into the graphics. I keep thinking I’ll post them to the WIP forum over at PixelJoint before I remove “Beta” from Rotis. Thanks for your comments! … and random off-topic posts, as even those drew attention to the game. :stuck_out_tongue:

High score for me: Easy difficulty, level 7, normal mode, 1489 points.
That’s also my first time getting through the whole thing. :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s very addicting. I should try out the other modes.

I think the music could be improved a lot with better instrumentation. More instruments and background lines would be helpful for all of them, especially instruments that aren’t as accented and distracting (like piano). The melodies are fine though.

We’ve had non-fangame user-created games in both the fangames and general games boards before, so it doesn’t really matter where it goes. But hey, there’s a “moved topic” marker in the other board, so this one’s in both now! Kinda. :stuck_out_tongue:

I updated the graphics today.

I might make an attempt to solve most of the compatibility issues soon by removing DirectX 7 from the game; however, this requires me to write MIDI-playing code, which doesn’t seem like it’s going to be as easy as wave audio output. :confused:

I found a function in mmsystem.h in C++ that can play MIDIs:
mciSendString(“play file_goes_here”,NULL,0,NULL);
mciSendString(“stop file_goes_here”,NULL,0,NULL);

But I don’t know if it uses DirectX(7) or not, or if it can be found in VB. My hunch is it does use DirectX(7), though.

Anyway, new high score.
Difficulty: Easy
Level: 9
Mode: Match
Score: 1994

Edit: Easy spin mode, level 6, 1332…
Edit2: WHOOO! Beat path mode on easy with a score of 5375! :smiley:

Thanks, but it’s not quite what I’m needing. I really need to just write the code myself, but I don’t see myself being in the mood for a long time. :stuck_out_tongue:

My record for Match Mode on Crazy Difficulty is Level 9, 2784 points. I don’t have a record for Easy Mode because I keep deleting my records. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Okay, I set a record. 2216 for Match Mode on Easy Difficulty, and I got all the way through.

I think this game is really wonderful, and though I’m not too good at it I really appreciate the time that went into it. According to the site you programming this in VB6 with an OpenGL library? I have to say, it’s really nice. It certainly doesn’t feel like a game made in VB6 (not to say VB6 is a bad thing, I enjoy it for its power relative to ease of use). The game feels nice!

Well done, this seems like a great game.

:smiley:>