Shadz' Sprites...

Hmm. I don’t know the possessive term for Shadz but anyway,
It’s about time I posted something here.

So I’ll start with a crappy sprite! :stuck_out_tongue:
I thought i’d do something different so I sprited
the Undead Priest from Timesplitters 2 and Future Perfect.
I’ve only done one pose of him so far, and this is my first time doing a sprite like this so
it won’t be very good.

The references I took and use are here:
References

And here is the actual single pose sprite.
Here

Well there we go.
Comments and suggestions please.
I might work up to doing a sheet with animation and more poses, but not today :smiley:

Hm…he’s a little top heavy. The sprite has good shading and detail, but the legs are WAY too small. Even him up a bit, and then you have a top-class sprite. :slight_smile:

He has no feet…

Ok, thank you.
I fixed gave him longer, more proportionate legs, (and feet) fixed his hands and face, and added the rope around his neck that I missed off last time.
That and I fixed his shading in some areas.
I kept the old version online for comparison, but here is the new one.
Here

I’m going to start other poses as soon as that one is accurate enough/aesthetically pleasing. I updated the references as well for comparison.

-EDIT-
I added a sideview pose. The next step is to figure out how the hell to make the next frame in a walking animation…

here.

That side view is wonderful, but the front is still a little wierd. I think it has something to do with the fact that his feet look like jellyfish.

Yeah, his feet need to be a front view, not top.

Still, aside from the front view feet, that is AWESOME. Well-shaded–and well-shaded clothing is really rare, extremely accurate, etc. Even if I hadn’t seen the ref, I’d know exactly who that is, even though skeletal cloaked enemies are pretty common in games. Very nice work.

:dies:
I sooo wish I could sprite like that.

Hmm. I’ve left the front view for now, I know how to fix the feet but it’s not worth uploading yet.
My main problem is animating the side view into a simple walking animation.
I don’t have a clue how to make the next frame look like a natural progression from that sprite. I tried breaking it down into component bits and extending the bits that were hidden by other parts but that doesn’t help much…
Can anyone give me some advice/point me in the direction of a tutorial?

It miay help to look at the Super Metroid sprite and use the leg positions from those. That’s what I should have done with mine, but I only thought of it a long time after I finished the walking anims.

Hey, he looks about the same size and style as P2D’s Samus…

If that custom suit contest ever gets reopened… <_< Maybe you should enter him!

:dies…again:
I believe Mills mentioned when he locked the thread that it would be reopened when the game was almost out.