Super Metroid Prime/Prime 2D 2.0

Idea, curse at it till it works.

I think you didn’t set its permissions or set them incorrectly or something. When I try to navigate to forum 17 (that’s the new one!) it says I don’t have permission.

It even says I don’t have permission though. ARE there any permission settings that prevent the damn administrators from viewing them? O_o

I think there are. >.>

That’s… retarded. Fixed, though. >_>

I had a long post explaining the good/bad about this, but it can be shortened substantially:

Good:

• A nice boost to the team by having a passionate group bringing energy back in
  • Using the SM engine is a good idea and will allow for more rapid level development and should speed along everyone’s interest. As well, this will allow for demos to be better.

Bad:

• The use of this engine means that the assembly for tweaking things will exclude nearly everyone from helping on the programming side. Once again the project faces the classic bottleneck of programming.
  • Another issue with the use of this engine is that using a ROM skirts the legal issues a little more tightly than the rest.

Overall thoughts:

There are a variety of interesting options out there. A Python-based engine was posted just a few weeks ago and there is still the open source engine. I imagine the latter is dead and gone because it’s GM and no one cares about it anymore.

I do see hope for a Python-based engine, though. Python is a language that many people can learn and it’s not really that hard, so it would allow people to help out in more ways than historically possible.

I do say best of luck on this endeavor, though. Hopefully it succeeds!

I see SMILE as that, personally.

SMILE? I think I played around with that a bit last year…

I’d love to help any way I can (aka, music and a minute amount of programming… although that will change next year, when I finally have no choice but to learn it. Yay computer science and yay taking classes that will MAKE me read my programming books), but I’ll be damned if I have any free time between now and when I move out this August. So I suppose you’ll just have to do without me for now. Sorry to keep up the four-year trend of useless <_<;;

Regardless, when you know how music is going to be handled, make some note of it and I’ll play around with whatever limitations we have until I feel confident with them.
Also, with SMILE, is there any way to merge parts of one version into another? It would be useless to have multiple people working with SMILE if there could only ever be one version progressing at one time, if that makes any sense. If two people make progress, then the only way to merge the progress from Person A with the progress from Person B would be to manually copy it.

Daz, I believe the engine DeP has in mind would ignore the SNES limitations =P
That said, I’m also interested in that, but I’m also useless until I learn some programming. However, I’m sure I can learn my way through C++ and jump over to whatever language said engine uses before the project is finished.

[13:41] Is there a way to ‘merge’ features of two or more SMILE’d roms together to allow multiple people to work on a single hack simultaneously, or would we have to pass around the IPS and take turns?
[13:42] <@Jathys> the ips is the main way (at least right now… probably in the future)
[13:42] “main” way… so IS there a way to do it for the time being?
[13:42] <@Jathys> careful planning on who is responsible for what space can allow multiple people to work on it at the same time though
[13:43] ah
[13:43] you could designate certain areas of data for certain people and have everyone do their own parts within those areas, then apply all the patches from everyone who was working onto one rom

Oh. I guess that kinda makes sense. If person A and person B were working on different areas, patching their data into the ROM would only effect those areas and wouldn’t overwrite anything the other person did.

woah, how could I have not noticed this…whatever, anyway am I going to need a special rom for this? or will any rom do?

Phlakes wants in.

Phlakes requests something to work on.

Why not use XNA? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx

I’m sure there are platforming engines available, which can be modified to fit p2d’s needs.
XNA has got a lot of strong points:

• no resoure limitations whatsoever, which means all current resources can be used
  • decent programming language (C#)
  • C# is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier then assembler
  • lots of people know C#, programmers will be easier to find
  • free development tools (XNA studio + Visual Studio Express)
  • no illegal stuff with roms
  • play on pc or xbox360

Its just a suggestion, but I think it should be considered…

Destroyer F has spoken. We must do that. All hail DF.

I actually like DF’s idea, the whole ROM editing / hacking thing has always been a turn-off for me.

qft
I almost feel like the Super Metroid engine “isn’t good enough” or too boring for P2D. It just wouldn’t feel too right. :blush:

The whole super metroid idea is, in my opinion, really stupid. If we stripped all of the graphics from the GML engine we could make it run fine… instead we want to just use a crippled 20 year old console? Whaat? Yeah let’s throw out all of the work we’ve ever done on this project and start over. Surely this time we’ll actually go through with it.

we could always just like…

i dunno, do something else thats really clever xD

Yeah. It’s not the most fantastic Idea ever. It was a thought, but I’m not sure if everyone would go for it. Looks like I was right.

lmao …okay…everyone think.
If we can not think of something better, than for now lets do it. But we need to try to think of something else to do. And Daz I don’t want you going and doing this project while we sit here and think. We all need to do this together. If theres an opportunity to reincarnate P2D then I do not want us to waste it…so read the first line. THINK!!!