Super Metroid Prime/Prime 2D 2.0

Ever used the X-ray scope on SM?
Just modify that. I feel like the scanning was an important part of MP. It allowed you to move forward, whether it was through unlocking doors, activating lifts, or giving you some tips on how to move forward.
Maybe you wouldn’t have to target them and it would just scan everything in the beam simultaneously? It would be better than taking it out completely.

It did not freeze in place while you scan something, what kind of fucked up version were you playing?

He means after you complete a scan <_<

syntax, you need to control these outbursts…

The problem with willy nilly taking stuff out is that this game is a faithful recreation of the game but on a 2D plane, not a reimagining like Super Metroid Redesign was to SM.

SM used the space colony and early Crateria to teach the basic controls. There were no instructions in-game because they had a manual, and that would explain most of it. Else, it would just be an as-you-go thing with instructions on how to use items upon pickup.

With SMP, we can explain how to do things. The scan visor can work and helpful instructions can appear on-screen to explain how to use it. The gate will be inactive, and the text could appear, explain what button it is, and then move on. The targets can be for showing how to aim, they can be moved around so that crouch-shooting and whatnot must be used.

Simply stated, SMP has to use the space station to teach the user how to play.

The scan visor is a necessary part of Metroid Prime, if SMP is created just for those who have played MP, it will have failed what it is trying to accomplish as a lasting tribute to the game.

Even in the original Prime, scanning seemed pretty superfluous to me. Don’t get me wrong, learning the story through chozo lore and pirate data was a great alternative to a fusion-type forced story, but otherwise it was just a “make sure six-year-olds can beat this” precaution. That’s something I don’t mind losing; a player SHOULD hit “wtf do I do here” spots IMO. And the story is something everyone playing will already know. Since SMP is in no way going to be 100% accurate to Prime anyway, I don’t really mind losing scanning if necessary.

Its such a ciritcal part. It has the WHOLE STORY in the scan, otherwise its all useless jargen, nice looking places, and for some odd reason, chasing a flying dragon around a planet, getting conveniently placed power-ups and loot along the way. It needs scan for story, AND gameplay. Some bosses could not be targeted one way without scanning them, thus making them invincible. Take for example the Sheegoth, and its soft neck after breath attacks. Yes. Anyone who plays this is going to freaking know this. Trust me, its NEEDED. Everyone else thinks so, why don’t you? (thats rhetorical btw)

The sheegoth can be targeted whether it’s been scanned or not. THe ONLY time the scan visor has a single gameplay function is elevators and the Parasite Queen. And either way, we wouldn’t have lockon, so it doesn’t really matter if you can’t scan her to get the new lockon point.

No one needs the scans for story. We’ve all played Prime. We know what happens. It’s superfluous and clunky as hell.

Typically, game engines evolve over time. Thanks to your platform, you have the option of patching. There’s no reason to include it from the beginning. If it turns out that it detracts from the gameplay, it can be added.

But there is a high possibility that people that never played Prime could play this.

plus i LIKE scanning =D

Writing assembly isn’t hard, creating a game such as P2D in assembly IS though. Especially when you’re hacking an old game as opposed to writing it fresh. Most rom edits are literally level edits, and for good reason. There’s a lot of stuff in Prime that would be a nightmare to hack into a ROM, and at the end of the day, people who are skilled enough to do that could do it better in something else like C++ with DirectX/OpenGL or XNA like DF said. XNA, at the end of the day, is pretty much the best choice for several reasons. 1. It’s easy to learn C# if you don’t know it already, 2. A lot of the stuff is done for you (Things that goofy mentioned, like an object system, sprites system, collisions, input etc) and 3. It works on PC + 360 which is good for the final product (lol, as if it’s ever gonna get done).

disappears for another 3 years

and if you do it in XNA i can actually be helpful, because i know some C#, instead of just sit and read the forums once every other week.

QFT CMC, QFT. BBQ TNT

In all cerealness, XNA is better, because then I can play it. XD

Also, I’m a silly willy walnut head.

(My brother wrote that…)

Then why does it matter if it’s clunky?

The easiest way to solve this-
IT’S FREAKING OPTIONAL.

If you don’t want to use it, you don’t have to. It’s like open-world games’ side missions.

Phlake FTW

God damn you people are stubborn.

It’s optional. It’s clunky as hell. It’d be a bitch to implement in this engine.

Fuck off. Everyone else is just sitting back talking big about other engines and crap… engines that never, ever get anywhere.

I actually try to take initiative, come up with a solution, and get this fucking project GOING somewhere. Maybe it’s not perfect, but at least the engine EXISTS.

But if you’re all just gonna be a buncha toddler-mentality ingrates, well, fuck you. Enjoy your game that’ll never get finished. Sure, it’ll be better in theory, but theory doesn’t make games.

When y’all realize that something like this is the only way to save the project… I’ll be waiting. Until then, I have better things to do than try to help a bunch of ungrateful bastards.

I think people need to forget thinking of this as p2d and start thinking of this as a SM hack. But If SMP ever gets finished, it will probably rekindle the interest of CFX and many others in finishing a “real” p2d… you don’t have to think of no scanning as something permanent, anyway.

Also, hey! It’s Knight! :smiley:

troid exists =D

And we have no idea if or when his engine will be completed.

Just like MetEngine.

And every other pitiful attempt anyone has made thus far.