Super Metroid Prime/Prime 2D 2.0

Okay, this post has ended up huge, but no matter, I think what I have to say is important.

While I usually agree, pinning everything on one man usually ends in disaster. But I think Troid can actually pull this off. Troid doesn’t stop something until he thinks it’s done. His work always ends up being very, very good.

Besides, he gives other people a chance, and I think it’s only fair if we all return the favour. Heck, he gave me one for composer for Metroid: Net Mission 5 years ago. I like to think he’s made the right decision, even if he didn’t know it.

In the end, what you do is what you do. Daz, if you don’t make P2D, it’s okay, we’re fine with that. In life, everything is your choice. I don’t think people understand how hard it is to actually make a game, and when it’s a one man project, it’s just that more challenging. But why do people come back to it? I find one of the most important things in doing a job, is that you’re not forced to do it, and that you enjoy working. When you enjoy your work, the results are usually just as good as the journey in making it. If you keep trying to force out your work, it usually ends up being very tedious.

What I’m trying to say… is that, if you enjoy programming, then keep working on P2D. Whether you do it as a mod for a ROM, XLA, C++, or a language you bloody invented, keep working on it at your own pace, and do it in your own way. If you don’t enjoy it, then don’t do it. That’s what a good job is in my opinion, and heck, maybe even life too.

Just remember to take your time if you do decide to work on P2D. One, five, or maybe ten years, whenever you make it, you make it. Take your time. It’s done when it’s done. I cannot stress that enough. Nintendo does this all the time with their products, and their games are some of the best in the field. The old Rare was like that too.

And heck, you know where else it’s true? It’s true for me. I composed a few MIDIs for P2D and Metroid: Net Mission in its early day (that sucked)… now look where I am:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPaXT77E3cI&fmt=18

I’ll leave the rest for you guys to figure out. If you need someone, know that we’re all here for you guys.

While this sounded like a very nice idea at first (I mean, you’ll get the whole Metroid feeling for ‘free’) but after some thinking I now have some questions:

What about special upgrades? Pretty much of the Metroid Prime level design relies on the altered Morph Ball mechanics, just to give one example.
While you can of course replace them with other stuff, this hurts the room recognition badly. So, what’s the general idea here?

What about bosses? I confess I neither checked out the links you posted, nor did I read all pages of this thread, but I can hardly imagine that you’ll be able to program new bosses into the rom or change the existing ones in a fitting way.

I’m pretty good at GML myself and therefore I know that this isn’t impossible to do at all but it requires a lot of patience and careful design and planning.

While I can understand you, Daz, I have my doubts that this is the best solution. But of course I can be totally wrong and the concept is already beyond any real doubt except for some spriter’s tears.

People have created both the Spider Ball and the Boost Ball in SMILE already. Plenty of hacks have custom bosses. You clearly underestimate the power of this program.

Daz, talk to GF Kennon if he messages you on AIM again. His SM hax can help us a butload.

Hell, here’s a screen of what he’s done:

Ok, I underestimated indeed. I’ll shut up then and look forward to it.

That, and I’ve got someone who knows how to get custom sprites and pallets into the game (see above screen) so recreating areas and adding things shouldn’t be an issue.

well, im guessing most people do not know who i am, nor care, but i am GF_Kennon and also… a ROM hacker, ill say ill help, to the best i can, just ask, though, i can see limitations that have not been discussed yet, and i hate being a project crasher, still, i bet you could work around this stuff. i could teach you all i know if you really wanted to, and proved you would put it to good use, but thats up to you, heck i could hold a basic hacking lesson, but im not a teacher, and last time i gave a lesson, people didnt like it because it was not beginner friendly, but what ever, ill help.

Do it.
I wanna play this game.

have a Demo?

There hasn’t been any progress on P2D as a whole since this decision, in short, no.

ok :frowning: