To all potential fangamemakers:

You load all your graphics into vram? Really, a sprite based game shouldn’t really tax a system at all. Then again I’m not very familiar with game maker, so maybe that taxes the system as well. I’m not trying to start any problems here, I just want to make a statement. I have a 400Mhz (thats right :sweat: ) processor, so I have a VERY VERY low end computer compared to what you guys are probably running, but I can still pull off hundreds of FPS’s with tons of moving sprites all over the place, as well as a tiled background.

Whoa. FPS’s with sprites? :O_O:

Frames per second. not first person shooter. Its a measure of how fast the game runs. Most pc games use around 60FPS. Any faster and the game becomes to fast for its own good.

I know what Frames Per Second are. I just thought you wrote First Person Shooter.

Is it at all possible to “rip” an engine from the game and just add new backgrounds and sprites and such? Although, if that were possible I don’t see why this thread exsists. Maybe there could be one grand engine that everyone could share! But that’s probably not a good idea for some reason that I don’t know, since I have no computer programming skills.

To answer your question, no, there is not some grand engine that everybody could use. If there was, that would not seperate the true fangame makers from the nub cakes who think they can make ‘teh leetist game ever’ … if you get what I am saying. I have an awesome fangame for three reasons.
A. I work on it all most entirely by myself, so there is little conflict as to how I want it and what needs to be done.
B. I programed my own engine and all the kicks to go along with it, so I know how it works, and only I have it so it is original.
C. I am a writer … well, that is what I am going to college for, besides programming and graphic design, so my storyline rocks. As far as all my friends and I are concerned, anyways.

Now … I … could … just … give … my … engine … out … to … people …
But I am not going to.

Now … I … could … just … kill … myself …
But I am not going to. :wink:

Thats not entirely true either.

Check out Metroid ::Zero Mission and Metroid ::Fusion they both have simillar engines but are both very difrent. I would absoloutely love to play more fangames that are unoriginal in engine, but original in game.

It could atleast be an engine used as some sort of resource or a building block.

You are correct on saying that they run on a similar engine. And my Xenic engine is much similar to both of them. But all three are going to be completely different games. So you have a point.

This is why Xenic will not be the only game I make with the Xenic engine. (Hint Hint … I am working on Half Life sprites … Hint Hint).

For Metroid Nebulus, I will be making graphics, the maps (which are complete), and possibly music, (Im very interested in that)

But, animating things together, “programming” and a bunch of other stuff, I have no clue about. So, I will need some help. It would be impossible for me to make Nebulus alone.

But the things that I do know, like graphics, will be made mostly by me. And in my opinion, making graphics are the hardest and one of the most important things in making a game.

I can help with your music, Xmega! I love it too! And anyway, two heads are better than one!

Coolman, you are my most favorite person on this site…

You’ve inspired me to actually register in this forum, and…

When I need help the most, you always have your hand up.

Sure, I’d really appreciate if you could make the music.

I have the music in my head, but I just can’t write the notes, I have to guess what sounds best…

Thanks for wanting to help; I really appreciate it!

Thanks.

About the music,
Maybe you could just play the notes with only one instrument and send it to me. Then I could copy that sound and beat and complete it. Then, it would sound much like you want it to sound.

I don’t want to go off topic or anything, but why has there been a sudden outburst of noobs trying to make fangames and leaving the first few days because they won’t do anything for them?

ya its true…sadly… <_<

??? It seems as if you directed that comment at me. First of all, I am not a noob. Second, RE42D AND Nebulus are both still being made. I don’t care how long it takes, how slow progress goes, RE42D will be made.

I’m apalled, Coolman. I was referring to Metroid: Phazon Origins and Pirate Commando. Why the hell would you think I’d help you if I thought your game was noobish and ridiculous!?

Take it to PM, boys.

sorry for a late post but the program thingy in the gamemaker. it reminds of triggrs from starcraft. are they alike? if so i might have some skill at least to start a game

I would never ask someone to do all of my fangame his/herself.

I would be the one to gather all the resources. Sprites, Sounds, Maps, the whole thing. Then i’d have to make the storyline direct some cutscenes while a couple people put it all together. I do then about half the work.

people just need a place to start, im working on a game, and yes, it is hard (if you plan on making a game DONT USE GAMEMAKER FOR SELLING PROFESSIONAL GAMES, USE SOMETHING LIKE VISUAL BASIC OR C++, gamemaker can and will become very limiting! however i already started the first metroid: oubreak for gamemaker, so i have to finish it before porting it over to c++. (also note: the samus engine is still being worked on, though priority goes to oubreak)