Viruses

Eh…always worked for me when nothing else did. Yeah, give that a try, Zurg. When in doubt, System Restore can work wonders (other times it beats me over its knee with a steak tenderizer, but oh well).

I’ve had two experiences with system restore.
Once, I totally fucked up my security data, meaning that my users were totally unusable, as the passwords turned into 32-digit random combinations, and really bad, safe mode also wanted a password.
Pop in the disk, restore from my last point, it was fine.

Other time, it did some serious screwing with my settings.
Actually, they’re all things that I’ve flicked on manually now, things like making the window under your mouse both rise to the top, and get focus, is a thing of om nom nom.

Um, yeah, give that a shot, and if it still doesn’t work, go into your BIOS and restore the factory settings (You might have to go back in if it fails to boot, mine did that - I don’t actually have a floppy drive, stop booting from it!).

If all is lost, install Ubuntu onto your drive, making another partition when it asks you to, and use the now inbuilt NTFS support to back up all your files you can’t get with a quick jog round the internet.
Then wipe the disk, and reinstall windows.

I don’t have a Windows disk <_<
And no, that’s not why I bumped this…sigh
My new computer got a crap load of them…and Spybot Search and Destroy is not helping.
And I can’t afford to do anything anymore :cry:

Er…
Spybot isn’t the greatest scanner for anything that’s not, y’know, spyware. At least, that was my impression.
Try AVG Free… 8 kinda sucks in comparison to 7.5, but the scanner at least works.
How did it already get a crapload of them? Seriously, did you not get some form of antivirus?

fyi… I am just getting through a virus/trojan horror story (everything was locked up once the computer started… no icons on the desktop, the start bar was gone, task manager was disabled by administrator on all accounts, even the admin accounts…), so I swear to god, if anyone says anything in the near future about being unable to fix it and giving up, I’m going to give them a swift kick in the pants… because after that, I’m pretty convinced it’s possible to get rid of almost anything that attacks your computer…
The time spent fixing it is worth it in comparison to the time spent redoing everything or recovering things.
Of course, I also don’t have anything backed up, so that could be why it’s worth it for me…

I know it can be fixed…question is money. I have none.
I’m gona try everything though. I also request that you give me links, because malware is causing my system to go so slow I can’t be bothered to google. :confused:

It’s not money. Anything can be fixed.

Try booting into safe mode and trying ‘Autoruns’, this’ll list absolutely everything that starts with your PC, and allow you to disable the stuff you don’t want. It also gives a filepath, so you can delete it.

I’ve also replaced magnifier.exe with a copy of cmd.exe, so starting my PC up in ease of use mode opens a nice administrative command window, I don’t even need to log in :slight_smile:

Oh… I forgot to mention I’m using all free tools. AVG free, online pandascan, etc… too bad they changed the pandascan so you need to buy it to disinfect most things.
And thank you very much, PY… that’s a brilliant idea. Should help a lot, if I can get my start bar and icons back… sigh again…
First I’m just gonna set my av to run scans every four hours (managed to open that up. Oh, and I still have the task manager, thankfully) and see what it comes up with whilst I go and watch the Dark Knight =)
Seems like a good plan for me. Stupid effing trojans… so sick of this already. I haven’t been able to do any gaming for a week and a half. Granted, I was gone half of that time.
Yes… it’s disconnected from the internet and all that jazz. I’m not that dumb.

:frowning:

Poor little PC :frowning:

(Oh, and what I did to get rid of mine was uncheck -everything-, reboot still into safe mode, and then go through the list and see what I knew for certain was legit, and deleting everything I knew wasn’t. I also defragged, ran CCleaner, and just cleaned it up. I freed 30GB on that day, and halved my boot time. Fuck yeah.

See, the problem with unchecking everything, aren’t some things necessary to, y’know, boot properly? Or run windows properly?

By the way, trojans+online scans=same amount or more problems by the time it’s finished. I just keep finding more and more crap =/
Also, it’s now infected my firefox. This is a problem, as my IE managed to kill itself long, long ago, unless I open it through the Gunz launcher, and I don’t know if I can get to my setup file for it before everything locks up again. Actually, I’m quite afraid to even restart my computer right now… I HAVE my av open, which is a miracle in itself.

…I wouldn’t mind freeing up 30 gigs and halving my boot time. But really… all I need to do for at least some of that is get rid of my now super fucked-up ubuntu installation and, once all of this crap is done with, that 64 bit install, at least for now. I need more ram before I can properly use that, anyway.

Edit: Oh, it also works to boot with command line. So… I THINK I can get your solution to work, PY. Actually, if I can eventually get into safe mode without it locking up, I should be able to fix it… I’ll remove some shit manually that keeps dodging my av.
Which brings me to my next complaint… AVG free 8 works fine and dandy for me, but in safe mode, I kinda hate it… To my knowledge, you can’t open the virus vault in safe mode, so you have to restart in not safe mode, and guess what happens then? ALL THE INFECTIONS HIDE THEMSELVES AGAIN!

Yeah. Most of it is needed.
They give you the option to ‘hide microsoft signed entries’, though.

Ah, I see

Edit: Ugh, what the hell. Nothing changes when I click the hide microsoft signed stuff, so I’m afraid to unclick everything…
=/ any help/direction?

edit 2: Ok, so it wasn’t that hard, I just skipped over all of the microsoft corporation entries… but kinda a pain in the ass with all of them in there. I wish I could’ve rearranged it or something.

edit 3: Woo, thanks much, py. Not only did safe mode boot uber fast, but my task manager process window is much cleaner, nothing’s locked up, I got my start bar back, and I fixed the task manager. Let’s hope everything’s cleaned now… I’ll continue the obsessive scanning for a while, though… and give that pandascan one more try, since it detected things AVG didn’t. See if it still comes up with a bunch of threats…

edit 4: Dammit. I was gonna try the online scan… but of course… I plug my compy back into the internet in “safe mode with networking,” and the trojan apparently started downloading crap again… and my computer was, once again, locked up. sigh Pissin’ me off…
It appears that the problem lies in ljjbttrj.dll, which… doesn’t come up on google, isn’t recognized by my av, and I can’t get rid of it manually.
tuvTkhii.dll is also a problem, but it’s hiding itself fairly well…

PY, I can’t boot safe mode…It just brings up a wall of text listing C:/ something/something/something.exe
and no ability to select any of em either. :frowning:

Side note: this shows how crappy macs are…the down scroll well part is already broken, and it’s less than a month old.

:<
No safe mode?!
Owie, get your install disk out D:

Like I said previously…no install disk. :frowning:
anybody mind shiping 1 to me?

Just download/torrent one.
Hey, it’s not illegal if it’s something you own.

No safe mode…
what’s it hang up on when you try to start safe mode? Like, what’s the last file to appear on the list?
Depending on what it is, it could be a software/hardware/driver conflict/error/etc.

Infin, technically it’s not illegal at all to torrent an unmodified disk, at no point do you actually buy the disk, you buy the code.
That’s why when I went into the shop I bought my PC from and acted knowledgeable about this stuff, they admitted it and replaced my broken XP disk.
:smiley:

I figured out what that frickin’ infection keeps doing.
It ends explorer as soon as the computer starts up =/
I’ve got rootkit revealer scanning right now… I managed to delete two of the .dlls that were causing problems, but they keep coming back. I managed to delete a third one permanently.
This is definitely one of the longer and more difficult disinfections >_<

Woooo, got explorer back… I don’t wanna jynx it, but it looks like I might have it fixed this time.
The only problem left is that registry easy keeps picking up more “empty registry keys” every time I scan =/