- Beam Combos or Separate Super Missile Weapon? Yeah, both would be good.
- Stackable or Switchable Beams? Both, like the plasma and spazer in Super Metroid (only I’d prefer if they were opposites, like flames and ice, so that it would actually make sense). Although, switching shouldn’t be a matter of pausing and going through menu screens… And I wouldn’t want it to be too complicated, either, so if that couldn’t be avoided, I say stackable.
- Allow Player to Turn Items On/Off? Yes on some items, no on others. For example, you should be able to turn off stacked beams for different combinations, but I don’t think there’d be much of a point in turning off, says, missiles or the Varia suit.
- Items Hidden Anywhere or in Secret Areas? Well, if items are “hidden”, doesn’t that mean they’re in a “secret” area? I like secret areas as well as hidden areas, although I don’t know the difference.
- Item Sounds? No, because they’re typically shown on the map in the 2D games when you get near them. SM has some exceptions and two-to-a-spaces, but ZM and Fusion always show them, and even whether or not you’ve gotten them.
- Beam Ammo (Like MP2)? No.
- Prime Spider Ball or MII Spider Ball? Prime, unless it’s one of the last items in the game.
M:ZM Speed Booster or SM Speed Booster? Definitely SM. It makes much more sense and works better, except for shinesparking, which should be ZM-style.
- Visors (Scan, Thermal, X-Ray, etc.)? If it’s planned from the start and done well, then yes.
10) 3-Directional (Up, Left, Right), 4-Directional (Up, Right, Left, Down), 5-Directional (Up, Left, Up-Left, Right, Up-Right), 7-Directional (All But Down), or 8-Directional (All) Aiming? Definitely 8. (Or mouse, depending on the style)
11) Several Bosses (Prime, MII), Only One Per Area (SM), or Very Few (M1)? Only a few “main” bosses, but lots of mini or mid-sized ones. Not necessarily one main boss per area.
12) More Action or More Puzzles? More of both please. I think there’s too much mindless running, shooting, and bombing. Action should be interesting, strategic, and sometimes intense. Puzzles should be clever, fulfilling, and yet seem natural for the area. Nothing like in the Primes.
13) Large Map or Small Map? Laaaaarge, but not repetitive.
14) Minimap with Pause Screen Map, Minimap with no Pause Screen Map, Pause Screen Map, or No Map At All? Minimap and pause map.
15) Unique Puzzles or Mazes? Unique puzzles. The whole world will kind of be one giant maze anyway, right?
16) Save Stations that Recharge or Separate Recharge and Save Stations? Separate. Save stations should be very common, but not recharge stations.
17) Unique Items or Traditional Items? An even number of both, but I would like alterations to the traditional items. Something like having to time the attack of a screw attack while spin-jumping, for example.
18) M1, MII, Zero Mission, SM, Fusion, or Custom Sprites? Zero Mission/Fusion style, but custom.
19) Additional Effects/Lighting? Yes, but used appropriately and subtly to increase immersion, not to distract.
20) 30 (Guaranteed No Lag) or 60 FPS (May Lag But Works Faster)? Inconsistent framerates are a pet peeve of mine, so in this case I would have to say 30 (or 24-ish for the a cinema feel). But a solid 60 FPS in a 2D game is pretty easy to achieve nowadays, even with a lot of special effects. (Game Maker is another story.) So if a stable 30 and 60 are both achievable, then I don’t think it really matters. Pick one and stick with it.