Wii U - Nintendo's New Home Console!

I’m pretty psyched for the new console myself, and as for the Zelda thing in the trailer, they did the same thing when the Gamecube launched, showing some Zelda. Everyone got all excited, and then nearly five years later, they released Twilight Princess.

It’s a tech demo is all. Just showcasing what the console can do.

Damn it, I am doing my best to hate the name, but everything else about this console is starting to give me a nerdgasm. I can’t help but get high hopes for this thing with all the info that was given at E3.

I can’t wait to play Metroid and look at a map on the controller. Or maybe a new Prime with dual analog controls.

Pretty hard to when out of the same event Sony are marketing a new handheld with a name one would expect from fucking bottled water.

Does anyone else hate the name Wii U?

Seems like they’re going too far with the pronoun thing…

We, you!

xD

I can just picture the ad for that. Two Japanese guys show up at someones door and say “Wii would like to play… with U!”

It should be 1920x1080px.

That’s standard HD right? It would make sense. IIRC all the other consoles have switched over to HD already.

Yes. Nintendo said that the games will run in 1080p and that the controller will run the same resolution.

The games on Xbox 360 and Playstation aren’t rendered in 1080p. Nost of the games runs in 720p but are upscaled to 1080p. I think there are some games that actually runs in 1080p. That Street Fighter 2 HD game and Wipeout could be two of them.

When you run games in stereoscopic 3D on the PS3 it renders all graphics in 720p. Don’t know how the 360 does it. I have’nt played any games in 3D on that console since I don’t own a 3DTV and I only played PS3 in 3D at a friends house. I’m too lazy to take one of my consoles to him and try. :frowning:

Well, better than 480p at least :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, blurry 480p on a 1080p TV isn’t fun. :frowning:
I had a Wii for like a year, but I traded it for a Pegasos 2 computer With AmigaOS 4.1. The blurry graphics in the Wii games and the weird interlaced resolution in the NES and SNES games (only the PAL games) got me to hate the console. And Nintendo.

I just emulate games… Some look Glorious in HD (Skyward Sword), and on some you can tell they were clever with the system budget (Brawl).

I’m also going to go for 720p as my guess for the controller, as those screens are relatively cheap these days.

Unlucky for the rest of us, you need a godly computer for dolphin to run even close to 60fps.

Not really, my rig does brawl just fine in 1080p 60FPS.

You just need to use D3D for the rendering.

My 9600GT always has problems. Then again it’s a 3 year old computer…

9600GT is a 4 year old mid-range card. You were expecting? :stuck_out_tongue:

My two year old mid range card (HD5770) does just fine.

Anyway,

I like.

Also, click-able analogue sticks (finally)

It looks like the older XBox controllers…

I like the tweaks on the Wii U Gamepad – real sticks (not fake circle sliders), better positioning for thumbs, and a rounded backside so you can actually grip it.

It feels to me like the Gamepad is similar to when Nintendo first introduced the DS. Suddenly there are two screens and a touchpad – lots of possibilities, but very different from what we’re used to. It isn’t trivial to brainstorm ideas for how it could work, so I’m glad they’ve given us some clever examples (golf tee, ball catching, shuriken flinging, remote control, substitute TV, closing the curtains on the real TV for a surprise, …). I just hope it doesn’t get any more complicated – another SSB might have 6 different controller setups. X_X

Still pondering the Miiverse concept. My gut reaction is that I would ignore it.