XP 64

Since we started talking about the 64 bit side, which was a fairly new technology when XP was around. =P
The XP version was incompatible with a lot of things and crashed more frequently, had more problems.
My explorer was oddly unstable in XP x64, but that could just be a “me” problem <_< I’ve never seen anyone else with that problem.

Actually, that’s what I mean. None of the things I mentioned were made by apple. Especially the alternative motherboards, those are made by, like, two other companies (It’s a pretty narrow niche of business =P), and I don’t even think Mac MAKES graphics cards.
Any hard drive will work fine, any RAM of that format works fine (I’ll admit I don’t know what form of RAM Macs use XD), any intel processor that fits the socket should work fine, etc.

Also, Zurg, I’m not saying skip the 64 bit OS. I love 64 bit so much <3
I’m just saying that, in my experience (aaand that of a few other people who have had problems with XP x64 that were solved in Vista x64), Vista x64 works better than XP x64.
I mean… if you’ve got 16 GB of ram, the performance drop resource-wise you would see by getting Vista is hardly an issue <_< It’s not even noticeable with my 4 GB of ram.

Liks, you made me lol.

I agree with Cloud. Why? Because Cloud is awesome like that. He just deserves to be agreed with. Cloud, you rock.

Zurg, go with Vista x64. It works. I may not be running it as my OS (XP x32 is what I’m running, I believe), but I’ve seen the difference between the Vista x64 and XP x64 on the same machine, and Vista was much more impressive. And less buggy.

$$$$

I’ve already got XP and don’t care to buy Vista.

what about windows 7 once it clears beta stages?

Depends on how much it costs. I got XP x64 working now, btw. And it is FAST.

so how do you know if you have a 64 bit processor?

God tells you.

Control Pannel > System

It will say x64.

I know that its a x32 OS but don’t you need like a x64 processor for an x64 OS?

Yeah, that’s what I’m telling you to look at. Under Processor it should say x86 or x64. x64 is better, lol.

$100 for a normal disk, and $50 for a Vista upgrade.

Cheapest Windows since 3.1.

Vista was $200 and not only is it the same thing, but it has tons of errors and lots less features.

you can find it for cheaper, depending on where you look ;D

Funny thing: Micro$oft found the perfect anti-hack thing. Other than brute-force, there is yet to be a Vista crack.

never said it was a crack
its just literally cheaper xD

Only if you have all the drivers you need.

OS X can execute both 32bit and 64bit software, but can 64bit Windows do that?

Yeah, it can.

But you still need special 64bit drivers, right?

if you dont like looking around for a better deal.

i got vista home for 90$ @ newegg

Why do you PAY for Vista?
I got a licence with my Tablet PC but I’m not using it. And I never will.

edit:
Cut from Windows online help:
"If I’m running a 64-bit version of Windows, do I need 64-bit drivers for my devices?
Yes, all hardware devices need 64-bit drivers to work on a 64-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn’t working properly or go to the device manufacturer’s website. You can also get information about drivers by going to the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor website.

Additionally, some 32-bit programs might use embedded 32-bit drivers, which might make the programs work improperly."

64-bit Windows is a pain either way. It’s like having a text file with one character in it and half your hard drive is full (it uses 64-bit file encoding, which I despise).