Architecture

I figured I would give this side of my life its own topic.

So for those of you who don’t know, I’m currently in school to become an Architect. As a part of our 5-year program, we are required to submit a portfolio at the end of our 2nd year as part of a review process. At this time there is also an academic review. There are only 30 slots available in the 3rd year program, so it is extremely competitive.

I got my acceptance letter today.

Below is the portfolio I submitted. All of the work enclosed was produced within the 4 semesters of the lower division program. Huge swaths of what I had done had to be cut in order to meet the 60-page maximum required by the program, but my most important and best work is here. Some of the images are a bit washed out due to calibrations made for printing purposes.

Wow, congrats on the acceptance letter!

As some of you may know, I’m taking summer classes right now. Why I thought taking Calculus and Computational Methods at the same time in condensed summer form was a good idea we’ll never know.

Last week I had a presentation for Computational Methods about a script I’m developing in Grasshopper.

I won’t be posting the full presentation here, and there have been some significant shifts based on the critiques provided, but here’s what I’m working on:

My proposed project involves parametrics, fractals, and light.

This is my target site, where a “Light Gallery” will be installed. I made this model at 1"=16’ scale.

Site has trouble with shadows in the evening, the most important time of day for a gallery.

Precedent 1: Masdar City PRT Station lightwall which mimics daylight.

Precedent 2: Busan Cinema Center featuring an RGB “cloud”.

Lighting requires analysis. This is a DIVA script I put together to analyze the existing site.

It analyses natural lighting as shadows.

As well as creating Luminance maps.

These even allow for pinpoint Candela per square meter measurements.

So we have taken the shadows and added light.

But what about the design?

Here is a purely hypothetical organic parametric form which could be designed based on the program.

Retopology of this generates a triangulated surface for parametric manipulation.

Precedent 3: Embedded Project, a fractal surface.

Due to the lack of information on the Embedded Project, I started researching fractals.

Fractals have theoretically infinite levels of detail.

But this is the case because they are recursive, meaning they repeat the same mathematical process within itself.

This same process can be applied to arbitrary polygons generated from my retopology.

These polygons get subdivided.

And then those subdivisions get subdivided.

This is my recursive script. Each of those blocks contains a script.

This is the block script. TL;DR: it builds a grid from which it selects a point and then subdivides.

By changing seed values you can change the pattern.

These changes can be made based on light.

Ultimately, this is the sort of look I would be hoping to generate.

Sauce.

Really interesting tor read through this. :beers:

So i sorta got behind due to the sheer amount of work I’m processing at the moment. Ultimately all that above lead to this:

More recently it’s developed that I’m currently active in 4 competitions on top of studio and on top of this project. Most recently a friend and I submitted an entry for a tiny house competition which required us to build the house in 2 8’ pipes.

These are some of the drawings we submitted:

The project above has been selected as a top 5 finalist in the competition.

Now it’s all to be determined by Instagram votes. I’m currently in 3rd place. If everyone could vote that would be most helpful. The prize is a scholarship which would allow me to stay in school.

As an extra incentive, the team will release a developer livestream of Prime 2D if I win.