Beyond Good and Evil

I’m just wondering if anyone else here has played this game. I absolutely loved it, but the only problem was, it was so darn short. _ _; Still, a lot of fun. =) I have the PC version.

A Screenshot from the Game

I’d take my own screenshots, but the game blocks you from using the Print Screen key for some strange reason, and they decided not use use F9 to save a bmp in a screenshots folder like Rayman 2 or Rayman Arena. (I relate this game to those because it comes from the same creator.)

I’ve always wanted to get that game, but never had the time. Lately I seem to always have a game occupying me @_@

It looks pretty cool, but what is it even about?

Well, here’s the general storyline. I’ll try not to bring up any spoilers, but this will contain some.

You play as Jade, who is a reporter and photographer for Jade Reporting and Co. She lives in a lighthouse where she takes care of ophans who’s parents were captured or killed by an alien species called the DomZ. Your home planet, Hillys, is currently under attack by the DomZ, and there’s another group called the Alpha Section that’s supposedly helping the planet fight the DomZ; however, there is a rebellion organization called I.R.I.S. that’s trying to prove that the Alpha Sections are actually playing on both sides of the equation, saying that their helping the Hillians, but really helping the DomZ capture people. In the game, after one of the levels, Jade joins I.R.I.S. and you end up sneaking into a lot of Alpha Section controlled areas to try and get evidence to prove that the rebels are right.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/20…d_screen004.jpg That’s what the DomZ look like. XD In this shot, there’s an old version of Jade. Micheal Ancel actually changed her design 4 times before the final release. This is also of the first boss fight. Right from the beginning of the game, you’re dropped into a fight, which is actually pretty cool. They don’t go through long boring tutorials, but rather explain some stuff if you need it as you play along, so replaying the game isn’t really a chore because you’d know everything already.

The DomZ are generally like Metroids I guess… They actually use energy from their captives to stay alive. They also can take control of humans and other species, which are kind of used at their soldiers. Some of the Alpha Sections are actually controlled by the DomZ.

What’s it rated? ESRB and play value.

ESRB gave it a T rating. No idea why since I hardly found anything offensive… I guess some of the humor in it would give it that rating though. Especially Pey’j’s fart-driven jet boots. XD (It’s one of those games that’s very serious, but they hide in little bits of humor here and there.)

GameSpot gave the game a 8.3, I think across all versions, but I’m not sure.

I thought the game was worth buying, or at least renting since it was so short. It didn’t take that long to beat it, unfortunately. That’s really my only complaint.

What type of game is it?

I’m guessing adventure.

Yeah, that’s what it’s catagorized as. Some elements in it are like a platformer, then there are race parts, fights (with the use of a combat stick, hovercraft, or space shuttle), and parts where you have to look around and explore areas… for the most part though, there’s a lot of stealth involved. A LOT. It’s fun to sneak up on the soliders and smack them in the back though. :smiley:

I have a feeling that you would enjoy Splinter Cell.

For centuries, the planet Hillys has been locked in conflict with a race of relentless alien invaders. Wary of her government’s promises to repel the aliens for good, a rebellious action reporter named Jade sets out to capture the truth behind the prolonged war. Armed with her camera, Dai-Jo staff, and fierce determination, Jade soon finds herself inside the jaws of a horrific conspiracy, and face to face with an evil she cannot possibly fathom. In a world where deception is the deadliest weapon of all, will Jade’s discoveries be enough to free her people?

Do you have to like, take pictures of bad things happening and then send it in to that company to like, “discover the truth”?

Well, first, there’s the science center. You get cash from them (and pearls) for sending photos of the species on Hillys. Then, as far as revealing the truth goes, you’re sent on missions to find some things. Like one of the missions you have is to take a picture of a Alpha Section soldier with his helmet off, to prove that they’re actually controlled by the DomZ. IRIS sends you out and sends you e-mails and tells you what specifically to take pictures of. Then after you send all the photos, you can actually get an m-disk (it’s just a transparent CD that you can play in machines throughout the area… you have green m-disk that’s burned like a CD in the game that saves your place) to see the videos cut together by IRIS and sent out as evidence.

The Alpha Section has their own video stuff too, that plays pretty much everywhere you see a video screen.