Metroid Legends 3

GM can make 3d games since version 5.0… and there was not even 3d functions back then…

MPlay has been in since 4.2 or so, if I recall correctly. But that was long time ago… I started with 3.3. But that is way too off topic for the situation.

Anyway, as for the demo at the top of the topic, it was cool and all, but uhhh… hmmm…

End… post? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well since I can’t make 3d games yet (don’t you have to register?) I’m gonna say it’s pretty good. If you could do one thing though, it would be a lot better. Add some sound effects.

Uh, it still isn’t that great. My comments:

Music:
Bad. None of the songs are very accurate or musical, the in-game ones don’t match, and the sounds are absolutely disgusting. Game Maker has a tendency to blast MIDIs at about 120% the normal volume, adding lots of MIDI static. It’s even worse when the original MIDI has static too, like with the title screen one (That one has the worst MIDI static I’ve ever heard in a MIDI. I never even thought that was possible :astonished:). It might be different with the MIDI synthesizer you use, but still, turn the volume down for the songs. I wouldn’t be commenting on this if it wasn’t for the fact that it really takes a lot away from the experience.

Graphics:
Turn backface culling on (d3d_set_culling(true)). Read that again. Once more. Good. :stuck_out_tongue:. Backface culling means it’ll only be drawing one side of a surface. That should add a HUGE chunk onto the speed since it’ll be doing half the work (or more than that if you want two sides of a surface drawn for certain objects (which can be done by drawing two surfaces) but it should help anyway). Unfortunately, you’ll have to flip around the dimensions to get the correct side to be drawn if it doesn’t draw the correct side of the surface, but it’ll be worth the extra five minutes of mindless work.
Also, in GM, drawing one large surface takes less time than drawing multiple contiguous surfaces. Just keep that in mind.

Also, the textures too dark. Way too dark. And they blend in too much with DSX (or vice versa). The sky texture can be much bigger (so you don’t see a continuous loop of small rectangle-shaped design things separated by lots of black). GM seems to have an easier time drawing a few large textures than lots of small ones.

Collision:
You still stick to walls, and you can easily get into SWs in ceiling-less rooms by climbing up them. This happens to enemies/players too. Bullets sometimes go through walls. Still pretty glitchy.

Online:
I’ve never tested an online game yet (because no games were hosted at the time I connected), but it looks like you’ve managed to get a server working, with players able to see who’s hosting at the time and everything. If it works, that’s really good, especially for using only GM’s functions (or so it seems).

One little glitch, though: If I haven’t already tried connecting to the internet in the game, and I try to exit, it gives me an “Unknown variable GMSQLQuery” error with the “return external_call(global.GMSQLQuery,argument0);” return operator in the script “gmsql_query” called in the “Game End” event of the object “METER”.

@Inspector: Yes, you do have to register to use any 3-D functions.

Short post: The doors do have an animation opening

Long Post:
Music) Yea, what’s there is there until I can find some better quality work. Who said this was the finished music?

Graphics) Backface culling won’t do any good since you need to see both sides of every object. See, in Metroid you explore. To explore means you can go anywhere, and adding a code to draw the wall, but flipped, wastes time and increases the memory of the file (yay SWs :blush: ) And the textures aren’t dark, just your monitor. However, the textures are meant to be bland, to give you that deserted planet look before you enter a cavern or something.

Collision) collision_line (or whatever that function was) never worked for me for some reason. I got it to work with the scan visor, but the bullets just ignore the code :sweat: With the walls, hey, it’s better to do a cheap wall jump than to get stuck in it completely when in the middle of a fight.

Online) I know about that error. Just ignore it :smiling_imp:

And! Let’s not forget this is a VERY EARLY DEMO (a.k.a. the GameMaker forums wouldn’t accept it as a W.I.P.) and you guys shouldn’t be allowed to be playing it at all :wink:

How did the GM forums not accept it as a WIP when you have a demo? I am confused now… =/

I have to say it’s pretty good need some work no a lot of work but it’s better than I could do Keep up the good work I can’t wait till it’s done :slight_smile: very metroidy :metroid:

Ah, you have to be quoted now :stuck_out_tongue:

(Amazingly I found my first attempt at a FP Metroid, it had a few sound effects and a better door animation. So I’ll transfer that over to my next version)

1. So you’re saying that you’ll be exploring INSIDE every single model, on the other side of all the walls (SWs), on the other side of the sky, inside your gun, and inside each bullet? Only a few things need to have both sides drawn, like the doors, and… Uh, well, actually, that’s ALL that needs to have two sides drawn so far. <_< Backface culling will really help speed the game up. A few extra lines of code won’t make your file exponentially grow and size and take up your entire computer. It should only add 50 or so BYTES to the file (uncompiled), while helping the speed of the game a whole lot. Don’t ignore this fact.

2. … Don’t use functions like that. Just… well, if you’re using instances, you’ll have to check if you’ve collided into something, then just move the x, y, or z (depending on the direction you come at) to the appropriate side of the object. You’ll have to have each object contain length, width, and height variables to do this, and it helps to move the x and y to their previous (xprevious and yprevious) to check if where they’re going next (x+hspeed or y+vspeed) is inside an object (keep in mind you’ll have to check if you’re touching the object in the z axis too), then move them to the appropriate location (eg. if there’s a collision with the new x location, set the x to the correct side of the object (based on where you are before you move and the location of the object) and move the y vspeed units over). Then do the same sort of thing with the z axis. This really isn’t the best way to do this, but it should be the easiest for using instances, and you won’t stick to the walls at all or land on contiguously-stacked instances.

1. The maps aren’t set up like Metroid Prime maps, there aren’t any gaps between rooms. The southern wall in one room is the northern wall for another room, so you do need to draw both sides.

2. Fine, but I already figured another way to avoid that :smiley:>

I’m not going to try to bug you too much about every little detail because I know you are still working on this game, and because I haven’t registered my copy GM to even be able to attempt a 3-D game, but… I noticed that the doors don’t shut after you open them. Keep up the good work though.

Yea, the doors closed in the old version, don’t know why I was too lazy to make them do that yet in the demo :smiley:

1. Well, okay, you’ll have to draw both sides of those walls, but if the rooms were separated you’d still have to do that, so it doesn’t make too much of a difference.

2. I just realized a problem with what I told you, and that is, it only allows for one object to be placed in the same spot along the x and y axes. Glad you fixed the problem a different way :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Btw, you can warp through doors without opening them by jumping into them. It’ll go a lot faster if you go through diagonally (facing 45? away from the direction to the door and using a combination of 2 arrow keys, which normally makes you move faster). This might end up being a little bit of a problem if you want doors to be locked.

Thanks for saying that, and while testing to see if I fixed that (I did) I found out you can shoot locked doors and they open even if they don’t animate :angry:

On a completely random note, am I the only one who thinks low polygon infant metroids are cute?

no, you are not.

8)

Yes, they look like one of those chibi metroids you find at sites like deviantart, don’t they?

It scares me XP But really, can’t you angle the pincers so that it looks natural? (or is it animated to go back and forth >_>)

I had an idea to add rankings to the online mode. 7 ranks: hunter, bounty hunter, elite hunter, omega hunter, soft certificate, hard certificate, silver certificate.

But that would require you to log onto my server, and to get access you need to download a bonus program. Should I still do it? :slight_smile:

Yes. I think it sounds pretty cool! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you! :slight_smile: (the highest rank will require you to make 600 kills and die 0 times)
Kills give you 5 points and deaths give you -1, you’ll need 3,000 for highest level :stuck_out_tongue: (25 for second level though)

Good system you got there.