Redhalberd's Shwag

How can you be that good at spriting and yet be naive enough about it to think that kind of rotation actually works?

Lol, woah, back up.

I know that rotation doesnt work well, but it works well enough for my cause. Im only rotating to save myself time shaping.
I find it much easier to rotate pieces sprites, then edit/clean them to make sure that theyre the proper size. Of course I wont rotate them and call it a pose, but certain poses are easier (AND better looking) if you rotate pieces and or edit them.

Ive done it before, and I assure you it’ll work well.

Still, your best bet is to sprite the different peice rotations. It’s the only real way for it to look natural.

Especially since shadows on the arms and legs and things like that change during the rotation. If you just rotated them, then the shadows wouldn’t be right.

To be quite honest, I’m not that confident in my freehand skills to take a risk like that. As you’ve all seen, the majority of my sprite sheets have been heavy edits of renders, or other sheets. Go back in the topic, and you’ll notice that most of my freehand works aren’t quite on par with my edits. Unfortunately, I couldn’t guarantee something on par with the original sprite in terms of shaping if I JUST made more poses.

Shading is one of my stronger points, so I wont have any problem changing them. I’ll still edit the rotated pieces anyway, so it wont be a problem.

That sprite looks kickass, no doubt. But im not sure Daz would approve of heavy edits. Everything is supposed to be original work. I thought you just had render as a guide, i didnt know you actually used the render and just edited it. No wonder it looks good. Thats the kind of thing id like for my game. Ill PM you later.

Yeah >_<.

I’m not some sort of genious spriter, I’m just resourceful. It’s not 100% rendered, but all of the head and back is pretty much rendered. If anyone wants me to redo it, I will.

i dont really think it matters that much. i mean, its a sprite isnt it? it looks like one. the people playing the game wont be able to tell that its not a shrunken render unless they’ve read this page…

Idle animation beta. The left leg needs a bit of work though.

edit:
Update

Much better. : )

There’s just that 1 frame with the extra bit of BG on the bottum.

…Yeah, but I knew that. It’s not final, I just wanted to know what you guys though. Do you think anything of the animation itself (any advice/crit).

shouldn’t the jetpack be spitting out some flames or something?

Yea, that’s what’s missin. Maybe holding out a gun?

I’m pretty sure whoever’s programming (CFX/DF) will handle that in the end, not that I wont give it a go.

Well this version has no arms, so that I’ll be able to do the animation without overlapping parts. It’s easier to make pieces without arms so I can make their animations more complex.

Fun fact: I do rendershrunk sprites too. I see no problem with it.

Anyway, animation looks good so far, but the shirnking backgruond is distracting… >>;

Sorry for posting with no content, but I just found some great reference pics, so expect a New Rundas Sprite as well as Ghor.

It’s Rundas…for the 3rd time.

The linart feels a bit too heavy or stocky to me. ANyone else think so? I haven’t played the game, so I can’t tell. It’s really only based off a couple screenshots.

Also, is he big enough?

edit:

Edit.
The style really isn’t finalized. I couldn’t decide whether he needed an outline or not. I can’t outline some of him, but not all of him, so which one do you think would look better?

It looks like you outlined the top more than the bottom, looking like he’s standing above a light source, instead of it shining down on him. (see shoulder pads for best example)

Also, his upper body is far too dark.

Yeah, I really couldn’t decide about the outline. I’ll probably try taking away the whole outline, then outlining the whole thing to see the difference.

I havent’ seen Rundas other than the first hour trailer, that screenshot and Demo, and I probably assumed he was very dark. I’ll lighten him up.

Think someone could hunt me down some screenshots (I don’t want to risk spoilers, since I usually get screenshots from Youtube).

Seem to be the same as the one you have there, but bigger and clearer.

Yeah, thanks, but I already have that Render. I just shrank it down so I could compare shaping and proportion while I was spriting.

Don’t worry about it though, I got some refs.

edit:

No outline, cleaned up a bit.

Better?