Sprite contest

Sprite competition-> you decide as long as you do sprites and get a unanimous votes on your idea/suggestion. You DRAW your suggestion FIRST. Then we decide. And you do it, unlike last time. As I’m sure we’ve all got busy social lives, the delay will be… 1st of April. It will be cut back before, if we finish before.
If it’s not decided, start a sheet for a character to be put in an 8-bit Smash Bros with a maximum size of 32x32. Character examples: Pit, Kirby, Mario, Ice Climbers, Ballon Fight Man, Samus, and 3rd party characters like Simon Belmont, Solid Snake… Plus maybe classic Ninty enemies as characters.
->Why not take the NES sprites anyway? Because the point is to take a Melee or Brawl character and transform it into an 8-bit character.

Example: Ness (my favourite character)

By Timmehboy

Sprite stealing unauthorised. My objective is not stealing sprites, I just want to drool over your sprites ^ _ ^. I PMed a few people. A reply would be much appreciated.

It does look better overall, especially the colors.

But the legs are badly pillowed, and the torso/crest should be taller, which is why the legs look too long.

Still, a definite improvement.

You need to realize that in the reference, he is leaning forward and his feet are pointed down as though he’s in the air.

I realize that. That was the best picture I could get to use as a reference to do a neutral position. His scale isn’t compared to Samus though (3-4 more pixels high and it’s right).
->Redhalberd: it was hard to do his feet, and I disagree about the proportions: I took a snapshot with my phone, and I did it well. Yeah, I agree about the pillowing, but it’s just that he has a smooth shell covering his legs. Needs to be better.
Thanks both for your advice, but you can suggest ideas for the competition (though you declined my offer, I’m sure you can find ideas).

isn’t 8 bit 4 colors? i’m counting 6 if you count the background color in your ness sprite (the character alone)

8-bit is 256 colors. The NES, however, uses 4 colors per sprite, and I believe it has 16 palettes? Not real sure about that part.

Anyway, my sprite respect those rules <_<. It’s not like I’m a noob: I have an NES. With games. And 8-bit sprites. But let’s get back to the competition.

/It seems I have probs shading Rundas’ legs without it being pillowed properly. Urgh./
Oh, btw, anybody using those sprites without my permission is DEAD MEAT.

Oh, here’s a thought. Following the moreso complete rules of the NES, you can have 4 colors in a 8x8 or 8x16-pixel section of what we generally consider a sprite. (See, the sprites are actually 8x8 or 8x16 pixels.) Here’s the complete set of rules…PDF format.

That’s a very interesting PDF. But I already knew that sprites were sets of tiles. A very good example to see this is Burai Fighter, an excellent shmup, where explosions and bosses flicker, and therefore allowing you to see that they are tiles. My Ness, for instance, is made up of 8 8x8 tiles, with a maximum of 4 colours per tile (excluding background colour). So he is an NES styled sprite. Thanks anyway, McCoy.

Bowser. may add frames in the future

Like the Bowser. I suggest you make him snarl and his hair more spiky. Add that beige to his orange body to make a scale effect, and orange as a shade around his mouth. Apart from that, thumbs up!

By Timmehboy
That’s better.

it saddens me that none of the other spriters on this board have made an effort in this. maybe they’ll add some later, but otherwise it’s not really going to be a “sprite contest” =/

Bowser alternate idle poses

Hope you don’t mind, I just needed to. Sorry if I didn’t ask.

Things you might need to do: head is bigger (check on google image) and he’ll look great!

Are you going to carry on, or do you want to try a different theme? Feel free to do something, I will comment on it…

hmm? are you talking specifically to me or the general forum populace?

Both ^^, though I sent various PMs, but without any answers =( .

i no u posted this a long time ago but…i will suck even MORE!

Nobody’s forcing you ^^. Throw a few suggestions, it might interest some people.

I have a suggestion… More spriters participate (I know you read this so do… something. even a little 16 bit sprite can be enough to get this topic off its feet)!! :imp: