Virtual Metroid

I’ve just started early work on Virtual Metroid (whose name I will soon change), which is a virtual pet game in which you raise a young Metroid. I really don’t have much to show yet, but I’d already like to ask for some help, if nobody minds. I’m going to need quite a few metroid sound effects, in particular that “sker-weee” sound the hatchling makes in Super Metroid. And since the metroids’ food will usually be Space Pirates, I’ll need some sounds of them too. Anyone think they can help?
I’m okay on sprites for now, but that may not last long. I’ll try to get a demo up as soon as I can.

Cool 8) … so would you need any other help …like sprites? I would also be pleased to program and work on some mini games.

Well, I suppose it would be good to use some original metroid sprites. But what I need may sound a little strange. Think you can make me a separate color and alpha image for the “bubble” part of a large metroid? Its teeth and nerve things should be separate images that the body bubble can overlap.

Mini-games are some way off, but I’m completely open to any ideas. Go ahead and pour them on me.

Ok… that sounds quite strange what do you mean by seperate coulour?

Oh, no, you misunderstood me. I want two images for the body: a color map (normal image without transparency) and an alpha map (grayscale image which determines transparency in parts of the original color map). Can you do that?

So…you are making a metroid version of tamagotchi? :confused: :confused:

Pretty much. :stuck_out_tongue:
'Cept instead of tamagotchi food, you feed him Pirates. :smiling_imp:

Alright! :smiley: Now I get it, but what size should the buble part be, and how do you greyscale images in paint?

Make the bubble fit in a 96x96 pixel box, if you will. :slight_smile:
As for paint, I have nothing resembling a clue. I haven’t used paint in years. Sorry. :frowning:

graphics gale is your friend

Cryptic posts confuse me.

Wow, I really like the sound of this project! :smiley: Sounds like a good original fangame… a nice break from all the OMG FEDERATION CHASING SAMUS AFTER FUSION and OMG DARK SAMUS IS BACK WITH A NEW CLONE ARMY you see all the time… -_-;

Simple in concept, but I still look forward to its completion.

Well, you could be waiting a while. I suck at AI. And when I say suck, I mean, like, a Britney-Spears-stranded-in-Las-Vegas amount of suck. This was more or less a learning project for me, until people started telling me that they’d like to play it. :^_^:

I would help, but i have no freaking clue of how to do anything remotely similiar to spriting or any game making thing if someone could offer me lessons i would help as i am a fast learner and evil. :smiling_imp:

Don’t worry, we can wait. hell, if you can get it out b4 P2D, i’ll give ya a friggin’ medal, lol

Just so you know, it’s been done.

…multiple times. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here, I’ve got a little “don’t care” left over. Why don’t you borrow some. :smiley:
Like I said, I’m doing this more for me than anything else. But just out of curiosity, can you link me to one of the other “multiple times”? I’d like to see what smart people would do with this kinda thing.

Oh please, you’re too kind. :stuck_out_tongue:

No, I can’t link you to the other multiple times. I can ask Slokunshialgo for his “Tamatroid”, though.

Eh, he doesn’t want to search for it. (And for the record, it stunk anyway.) :stuck_out_tongue:
As for me, I never really made a “Virtual Pet Metroid”, but I did make some cheap little games in which you control a metroid.

Wow, that sounds really cool! Maybe you could have a bunch of different things to feed it. Like Zoomers and Shriekbats when it’s smaller, and then bigger enemies to feed it as it grows. Haha! It would be great to feed it GF soldiers as well as Space Pirates, but you’d have to make those sprites. Man, you could even feed it Bosses if you wanted! I’ve always wanted to see Ridely get killed by a Metroid! The Game is a Great Idea man! Good Luck!

And then, once you unlock the secret Phazon stash and it grows into a Prime, you feed it Kraid. :smiley:
I love it! That’s a great idea. Even the Fed soldiers. :stuck_out_tongue:
Now, real quick, what do you guys think should happen to these things as they’re eaten? I was thinking of having them turn to sand like they do in SM, but that feels like it might be a bit too retro. Thoughts?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and can someone point me towards an accurate Metroid life cycle diagram? I need to make sure I get things in the right order.