**Build demo topic**

Sounds Like a Secret World or something…

I did notice that if you were running and went towards a door, you’d be on top of (overlaying) the door. Meaning, the samus sprite was over the door sprite. But whatever, that probably has nothing to do with environment testing anyway. Besides that, it was good. A little twitchy at first. The jump button lagged a little until I went into the next room… but in the next room, everything started working fine.

From what I can tell, it only lags the first time you jump because it has to load the jump sound. DF can fix that with a few clicks, or a little extra code. If that’s not the case, though, whatever. It’s only the first jump.

true. It would just… not be a good thing if it lagged up at, oh, say… Omega pirate? (if of course my memory isn’t gone and omega pirate is still the big blue guy that stomped on me every time.)

how come it loads all the way except for a fraction of an inch and then freezes? it happens with every demo or anything made by game maker i try to load on this computer.

It’s either a problem with the way GameMaker makes games, or (more probably) your computer.

By the way, I’ve noticed a few problems. Most notably, whenever I jump, there’s a slight lag. It’s very short, but it’s noticeable. Also, there’re a few problems when going from one room to another. If you hold both the Z button and the Right button when going through a door, none of the buttons will be registered in the next room until you let go of them and press them again. Also, if you hold the Z button at some point, and then release it, but not the Right button, Samus will run in place, but not move, when you enter the next room. If you do release the Right button, though, she will behave normally.

All of these also apply when going left.

really? i dont have any “slight lag” on my computer when ever i jump, maybe yours is older? i dunno, and i have noticed many of those glitches/bugs/flaws off of his/her list, other than that, lookin’ good!

My computer is 2 years old, it might be a little old. But I don’t think so, it seems more like a problem with the program. And even if it isn’t, I think P2D should be made so that it can run on computers that are more than 3 months old >_> Not my decision, though.

It lags because the jump sound has to be loaded every time. I do this with all sounds, just to save some ram. Right now, p2d needs 50 mb ram. With sounds preloaded, it takes up 60 ram, although all sounds together are only 100 kb>_> I want it to be playable on older pc’s also, so I got to keep the ram under 64 mb.

How considerate. (Windows 98 -_-)

Anyway, I get the lag too, but I ignore it. >_> I figured it was just another one of my computer mishaps.

Yeah, I ignore it too. It’s so short it doesn’t disrupt the game anyway, but I made a complete list of everything I noticed, so I put it in.

Version 2.0 is up and running. If you don’t want to wait for DF to upload it here, you can visit the SCU forums, and find it there. :smiley:

I suggest using the intro from Metroid IV: Fusion

And just so I know we’re ALL on the same page with the word “Intro”… you know… it’s the little music clip that plays when you load and are rematerializing from the save scanner… (uhm… yea… Code Lyoko talk… materialize… Scanner… :sweat: that’s what they are to me… BLAHBLAHBLAH!!!)

Also… I have a link that would be VERY usefull to you guys…

http://www.metroid-eu.com

Maikel’s got the best Metroid site I’ve EVER seen…

EDIT: WHO MADE THE EMOTICONS HERE?!?!?!?! SINCE WHEN WAS - _ - (WITHOUT THE SPACES) THIS --… I wanna be able to type :sweat: without the thing reading it as --’

EDIT AGAIN: okay… NVM… all I gotta do is disable emoticons…

okay… I offered to make control maps a while back… My offer still stands… but… I think I can just make a program to remap the controls to equal keystrokes… In other words, anything you do with the joystick equals a certain key on the keyboard…

there are other ways too… but… I’ll get to those when I get to those…

Logitech PS2 style controller

Left: D-Pad Left
Right: D-Pad Right
Up: D-Pad Up
Down: D-Pad Down

Combat Visor: Left thumb stick Y Axis+ (Up)
Scan Visor: Left thumb stick X Axis- (Left)
X Visor: Left thumb stick Y Axis- (down)
IR Visor: Left thumb stick X Axis+ (Right)

Power Beam: Right thumb stick Y Axis+ (Up)
Wave Beam: Right thumb stick X Axis- (Left)
Ice Beam: Right thumb stick Y Axis- (down)
Plasma Beam: Right thumb stick X Axis+ (Right)

Jump: X (2)
Morph Ball: square (1)
Missiles: triangle (3)
Beam fire: O (4)

Lock-on: L1 (Toggle/ multi-tap to switch targets)
Sprint: L2 (Hold)
Free aim: R1 (Hold) (Right thumb stick to aim; R3 to fire)
Walk: R2 (Hold)

Yea… that’s the first and final version of the control scheme… I just need to write the program…

And YES walk would be VERY useful…

OMG!!! I FRIKKIN DOUBLE-POSTED!!! Sorry… As you can see, I fixed it… I just forgot and noticed right after I posted… WHEW!!!

Where to begin… <_<

1. We are NOT using the intro from fusion. Let alone anyting from fusion.

2. The best metroid site ever is Samus.co.uk.

3. What does that have to do with anyting anyway?

4. Why would we ever use a Logitech PS2 controller for a Nintendo made fangame?

5. What does A\any of this have to do with the environment test demo?

okay… whatever… SCU is NOT the most complete Metroid fansite…

and I can’t believe that anyone would use anything but the best music for ths game. (Fusion has the best intro…)

Also… you would use a PS2 STYLE controler because it’s the only console style controler for the comp… if not, it’s still the best (Most buttons and REALLY convenient placement)

I’M JUST GONNA MAKE MY OWN METROID GAME!!! >_<X (Only because I have SO MANY ideas and I know you’re probably not gonna use any of them…)

But I’ll still help here where I can…

-We Are making everything from scratch. Sprites, BG’s, tiles, music, you name it.

-Samus.co.uk IS the best metroid fansite. That isn’t my opinion, it is fact.

-What is wrong with using the keyboard to control?

Not to mention, WHY would you even use a PS2 controller with a Gamecube based game? :confused:

If you were gonna use any kinda controller, wouldn’t it make more sense to use a Gamecube styled one??

Guys… drop the controller discussion plz.

Keys are fully customisable, so you can set the keys like you prefer. Just enter the pause screen and press left.
There are some programs out there that can link keystrokes with controller buttons. Search google to find them. So if you want play with your controller, it’s not impossible :wink:

Well now that you are here, aren’t you going to put up 2.0? >_>

Done