Data Storage

I’ve learned a good bit of C, but it’s not going to be my primary language until I’m forced to change. :>_>:

[C#]
private void CreateMyTopMostForm()
{
// Create lower form to display.
Form bottomForm = new Form();
// Display the lower form Maximized to demonstrate effect of TopMost property.
bottomForm.WindowState = FormWindowState.Maximized;
// Display the bottom form.
bottomForm.Show();
// Create the top most form.
Form topMostForm = new Form();
// Set the size of the form larger than the default size.
topMostForm.Size = new Size(300,300);
// Set the position of the top most form to center of screen.
topMostForm.StartPosition = FormStartPosition.CenterScreen;
// Display the form as top most form.
topMostForm.TopMost = true;
topMostForm.Show();
}

[C++]
private:
void CreateMyTopMostForm()
{
// Create lower form to display.
Form* bottomForm = new Form();
// Display the lower form Maximized to demonstrate effect of TopMost property.
bottomForm->WindowState = FormWindowState::Maximized;
// Display the bottom form.
bottomForm->Show();
// Create the top most form.
Form* topMostForm = new Form();
// Set the size of the form larger than the default size.
topMostForm->Size = System::Drawing::Size(300,300);
// Set the position of the top most form to center of screen.
topMostForm->StartPosition = FormStartPosition::CenterScreen;
// Display the form as top most form.
topMostForm->TopMost = true;
topMostForm->Show();
}

Pretty much the same syntax, right.

C++ isn’t “multiplatform”, at least not in the way Java is, you still have to use multiplatform libraries and recompile for different OS’

Please, Retro, if you’re going to evangelise about languages, get it motherfucking right.

I was simply suggesting that he at least get out of a scripting language that tries to correct your every error for you (which really C# still does, but to a lesser extent) and which has such an unusual syntax (or lack thereof). C# would be the next closest thing to VB, but C++ or C would no doubt be a better choice if he wanted to.

Personally, it bugs the heck out of me that VB doesn’t use symbols and operators like { }, &&, and ||.

I’m sorry that you think plain English is annoying in comparison to using symbols, including some that don’t even mean anything out of context. :stuck_out_tongue:

The reason I like to use symbols for logical operators is because it separates them from the rest of the statement. It’s like punctuation.

if (rofl and not lol) or not lmao is a lot of words.

if ((rofl && !lol) || !lmao) lets you see the variables and the operators instantly. Obviously, this isn’t a huge problem with syntax highlighting, but it’s a definite plus IMO.

I use the words only in GM just so I don’t end up confusing the syntax with PHP or something.

Although C++, PHP, and GML are pretty damned close.

@PY: >_>
Same syntax, different ways of using it (even though they both can do the same things, and in some cases have the same codes).

Pretty much exactly while I value the use of symbols. Decreases the time it takes to read and make sense of the code, and better separates the variables or other keywords from the operators.

For some reason, reading “and” takes more time to make sense to me than reading &&. Only in code, of course… I’m not about to talk using “&&” as “and”, && stuff. xP

I much prefer symbols, so VB’s inacceptance of them saddens me :frowning:

EDIT: Seeing as anything beyond “hurrr notepad” is seen as hacking, by my tech guys, they saw fit to NOT allow me access to the api viewer. Probably hacking.

I hacked something together with file lists to find the filepath, then copied them with the FileCopy command, so I got them, and it’s very useful :slight_smile:

Thankies deepee.

What was this topic about again?

chicken salad sandwhichs