Data Storage

for now 32 i’d say… unless you really have a use for 4+ GB ram.

If you’re going for top-range hardware, go for a top range OS, as in, 64 bit.

Otherwise, 32 bit won’t make much difference performance-wise, and you’ll have fewer issues.

Does an XFX Geforce GTX 260 core 216 XXX Black Edition count as top-range?

uhh i dont know xD

those are new so maybe. i think the OS limits the ram and CPU more than the GFX card though

Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
GPU: GeForce GTX 260
Core clock: 666MHz
Stream Processors: 216 processing cores
Memory Clock: 2300MHz
Memory Size: 896MB
Memory Interface: 448-bit
Memory Type: GDDR3
Price: $300

OR

Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
GPU: GeForce 9800 GTX+
Core clock: 785MHz
Stream Processors: 128
Memory Clock: 2340MHz
Memory Size: 512MB
Memory Interface: 256-bit
Memory Type: GDDR3
Price: $200

So…should I go with A or B?
I’m thinking A…but it’s an extra $100.

Id go with the 9800GTX+ but I’m also cheap as shit so…take that for what its worth

Nnnno. It has nothing to do with the VB runtimes, which do (as far as I can remember) come with Vista. If it were the VB runtimes, none of my VB programs would work, because all VB programs require the VB runtimes. Vista’s version of DirectX doesn’t support DirectMusic, or something like that, and the WinSock control (which was designed for earlier versions of Windows) doesn’t work on Vista.

You should give me some real credit here. If it was a simple problem, I would have solved it already. :stuck_out_tongue:

Video card benchmarking:
http://videocardbenchmark.net/common_gpus.html
The GeForce 9800 GTX+ is one of the best cards out there, scoring 1017 (actually 1234 according to the Videocard List section), but I’ve been fairly satisfied with my Radeon X1650 (which scored 384 and costs $40).

yeah but the GeForce GTX 280 which I assume isn’t too far off of the 260 Zurg posted is the highest on that list so…but anyway thanks for posting that because now I have new fuel for the ATi vs Nvidia debate I have off and on with a friend of mine :smiley:

Well, I dunno about anything else, but kinesis works for me.

edit: rotis doesn’t.

In any case, not supporting an icky, icky language is hardly a major issue :slight_smile:

Synty, they’re bloody companies, being an ati/nVidea fanboy is WORSE than being a console fanboy.
Oh wait.

Problem with the 280 is it likes to overheat.
And it’s also like $450

It is when the misjudged language is what you’ve been using since the day you turned 12.

Rotis uses DirectMusic. I uploaded a Vista-specific version to my site that doesn’t use DirectMusic (doesn’t have music at all–I’ll fix that eventually) that works on my mom’s copy. Kinesis Animator doesn’t use DirectMusic or WinSock, yay!

That’s the reason my old computer used Win2k.

I actually almost got XP for it, but I decided against it.

Although XP pretty much fixed everything by SP1, while Vista pretty much didn’t fix anything. SP1 actually almost screwed my friend’s computer when he downloaded it.

Connection issues and computer illiteracy do not make for a bad OS.

Vista SP1 didn’t fix a lot, no, but that’s because everything had already been fixed by a constant stream of online updates - case in point, I just got Star Wars: Knights of the old republic to run, wheras it never used to (DEP killed it before ;-:wink:

but regardless, tea time, tl;dr version: shut the fuck up about things you don’t understand.

DePro, VB is a cool language to learn “programming”, as in, how it works and so, and certainly isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be, but really - I don’t like much of it’s Syntax. Plus, seeing as I avoid it like the plague at home, yet are forced to use it at school, I don’t have access to APIs, which limits what I can do with it :frowning:

Don’t have access to APIs? There’s a built-in API viewer, you know! Here’s a fun one I’ve used frequently, and you can cause BSODs with it, and you HAVE to use it if you make a Windows program in C that requires keyboard/mouse input:

Declare Function CallWindowProc Lib “user32” Alias “CallWindowProcA” (ByVal lpPrevWndFunc As Long, ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal msg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long) As Long

Over time, as I got better and better at programming, I started writing more of my own functions and using less of the built-in Visual Basic-specific ones, like Split(). I’m pretty much at the level where the biggest difference between making something in VB and making the same thing in C is the syntax. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, don’t have access to any API documentation that’s provided as a download, which seems to be most of them :frowning:

All-API is the one I’ve been using to complement VB’s built-in one for years. Download it and stick it on a thumb drive or something! :stuck_out_tongue: Oh, you could also find them on MSDN Online…granted that you can mentally convert syntax from C to VB.

Let me tell you something, PY. It took me until SP2 of XP before I actually liked it, and even now I don’t get it until SP3 has been out for awhile.

I’ll probably wait until SP2 of Vista comes out before I like that too. Or by the way I see it, Windows 8 comes out. Then, I’ll probably get a new computer with the better Windows.

I’ve stopped hating Vista, but I haven’t really started liking it either. Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is just silly, and that’s pretty much what upgrading to Vista is. Yes, Vista has new features, but I like my XP better. It looks nicer, it acts nicer, and it’s a lot easier to do what you want. If I got Vista, I’d probably spend a week of on and off messing with the settings to get what I want. When I first got this computer, it took me four hours to download every single piece of free software that I used to have as well as modify the settings to fit my needs. Vista would have taken longer due to it’s shitty extra functions.

Yes, it’s new. Yes, it has new features. Is it worth it? No.

On topic, VB is okay, but I like C++ better. That is, once I actually find a solid tutorial on how to use it. I’m having quite the trouble doing so.

lol, PY, 1/5 users isn’t exactly a small chunk, not small enough to justify leaving something out that has been in the older operating systems just because it’ll ‘bloat’ the OS for the other 4/5.

DeP, I can sympathize; I have a friend who is pretty much where you are with VB. He knows some other languages now, but his primary has been VB for the longest time.

I’d recommend at least switching over to C#, which is pretty much just VB with a much more conventional syntax. From what I understand, anyways. >_>

If you’re going to do C#, you might as well do C++ since it’s multi-platform and they pretty much have the same syntax, although C++ is stricter. And stricter syntax is always a plus, so that it doesn’t explode.