Metroid Corrupition

…wow, it’s almost kinda like this forum dooms anyone with “fox” in their name <_<

And fox, they are actually decent at it when something shows some promise. I’m sorry, but they’re right, don’t start on a metroid game. If you DO try a Metroid game, it would be best to at least show a physics engine before posting a thread. That way, they can see that you’re competent enough for it. You can use existing Metroid sprites as stand-ins for now, and the collisions wouldn’t have to be perfect. Just… decent gravity physics without falling through the floor would be nice. But… you have nothing. You have the story… but you haven’t proven that you can do anything. And if you find out that you can’t program worth a poop, don’t expect to have everyone else do everything for you because you thought of a story.
Seriously… posting your fangame here without an example is just asking for trouble. Work on your GM skills, make an engine to start with… and once you have SOMETHING here, we can actually help you. We can help you figure out the events that have to happen when to get this or that working. But, as it’s been stated many times before on these forums, we’re not gonna make a game for you…
end rant that probably made no sense =) I might go back and fix it so it’s actually readable later.

Troid, yeah, he didn’t (entirely) deserve the insults, but he does deserve to be told how it is… I can’t think of anything productive to say to him but “slow down, and start easier, so you can do this EVENTUALLY, after you’ve actually learned anything about how GM works.”
Honestly. The best advice here is for him to give up on this for now, or at least postpone it, and follow some beginner tutorials, first on how gm works, then on basic games and functions, then on platformers. And THEN move on from there…
But he’s not gonna get anything from trying this but disappointment, discouragement, and then he’ll probably give up. If he tries this now, he’ll struggle with it forever, only to ultimately give up, whereas if he starts smaller, he won’t be so frustrated, and it will actually be productive.

Wanna see my first metroid game?
Well, you can’t, I just reformatted my old HDD, but believe me, it was a piece of crap.
My current engine is on par with gMP2D, I think my base engine is possibly superior at the moment, but most secondary things lack the same polish as gMP2D.
Regardless, my point is that you certainly aren’t a good enough coder to do this, set your sights lower, and start again. It’s a fairly steady ladder to the top, not too many breakable rungs, and is easy to climb. You, my friend, are at the bottom, trying to jump to the top, and texting people to say you’ve done it, a better plan is to start climbing, slow and steady.

Makes sense, eh?

O.K. I get that i started too soon. I’ll try to start lower, how ever, i have a few questions,
should i try to use a multi room game first, or a one room game first
can some show me how to tell the game to stop playing the title game music
should i try a game where the character shoots, or not

thanks, i guess i should start from the bottom up,

You’re climbing now.
Multi room is good, gives you an idea of some basic concepts
sound_stop(sound)
Depends. If you want, yeah, if you don’t, no.
It’s a design decision, but one peice of advice I can give you regarding that, is
i=instance_create(x,y,bullet)
i.direction=point_direction(x,y,mouse_x,mouse_y)
i.speed=9

Would make object bullet flying towards your mouse at 9px a frame.

What’s this? starfoxsupermaster is evolving!

starfoxsupermaster has become reasonable!

Also, I recommend talking some online courses in basic programming or something.

And then that’s all anyone would have to say to him. And now you have.

Fox, I would suggest spending just a few weeks working on some mini-games similar to Pac-Man, top-down shooters, Tetris, perhaps even Mario. The experience will pay off when you resume this fangame.

DUN DA DA DUN DA DA DUN, DA DA DA DA DUN DA DA DUN DA DUN DUN DUN!
DUN, DA DUN DA DA DUN, DA DUN DUN DA DUN DA DA DUN DA DUN DUN DUN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ZnJpuBU0A (Shameless plug for my brothers <_<)

Oh, and Troid, I have to admit you’re right. The world would be a better place if we treated each nubbins with respect, even if they do pop up a bit too often.
I know I was treated with respect when I joined P2D, even though I was an arrogant fartface (still am, but in a better way).

OOO!! OOO!! :smiley: WHAT MOVES DO I LEARN?!?! I wanna forget the move “ignorania beam”.

Thanks for that sound code.

… I coulda swore someone else already said something like that <_<;;
This is why I avoid posting on the forums at three in the morning. I end up making stuff up on accident, as well as spelling “few” like “fiew”, and… other embarrassing things like that.
I promise I will refrain from future early-morning posting impulses.
looks at clock
…starting tomorrow.

Aye, I suppose I was also respected when I first joined the forums, after which I swiftly crushed that respect and any chance of quickly becoming one of the “cool” posters… and I fear that everyone here kinda views me as an idiot now :stuck_out_tongue: feel free to disagree (gah, another sleepy error… I said feal free the first time…)

fox, there used to be a really good tutorial for platformers on the game maker website… made total sense to me, and got me to the point where I could get gravity going minus falling through the floor and all that other good stuff… but I have no idea if it is still there, I’ll try to find it in my free time.
It also tells you how to save a little bit of space by having one “platform” object and tiling the sprites over that instead of having twenty thousand platform objects.
All in all, it helped me out quite a bit…

About having the bullet/laser pop out where you want it to… go to the sprite for the laser-shooter (samus, in this game’s case) and the cross-hair thing is what is called the origin of the object or sprite. move that to where you want the laser to appear from, and in the “create” event for the laser, have it appear at “0,0” and click the “relative” box.
I think. This is running off of my memory from two years ago or so.

Cloud, you were right up until the creation of the bullet, setting it to 0,0 relative won’t move it, you need to set it to cannon.x, cannon.y, or the exact location of samus’ cannon.
The lengthdir functions also rock for placement.

Eh… it worked for me. I had the origin about where her chest is, then threw in a bunch of variables to keep track of whether she was looking left or right, and pointing up, straight, angled down, or angled up. Then again, that was the engine where when you held both directions and then pressed jump+fire, Samus flew… you could control the direction after she started flying, but you couldn’t let go of jump or shoot.
Kinda entertaining…

Moral of the story is: Don’t take GM advice from Cloud, he’s horrible with game maker, can’t use GML, and hasn’t even touched the program in two years.

and things frickin’ fly all the time when he’s around…

Can you come round to my house, I wanna fly.

Where you went wrong is that it’s not in the laser’s create event, but in the event where you want to fire. Say, on spacebar pressed.
Quite good for not touching it for 2 years though, I didn’t touch C++ for two years and forgot it.

Eh, yeah, I kinda skipped that part, didn’t I?
Ah well. THIS is why I don’t post so friggin’ early in the morning.

And sure, just walk left and right at the same time and tell me where your “jump” and “shoot” buttons are.
It helps to be standing against a wall, too :stuck_out_tongue: