Metroid Corrupition

This guy doesn’t even know how to recolor, and he thinks he can make a game…?

Uh-huh, he’s screwed.
Your best bet is to edit the 1945 example and call it a game.

XD <_<

Alright, enough bull…
i’ve got a few problems with GM

1. I cant figure out how to make the place where the beam comes out follow the cannon, or make the beam go a different direction after i turn
  2. how do i make the gravity work with jumps :confused:
  3. how do i make the game move to a different room when i go through door
  4. i cant make the title screen music stop playing after i start the game :angry:
  5. how do i make the beam take only a certain amount of health away
    and
  6. can i make an object persistant in all rooms? (Done, ckilck the “persistant” button, DUH… :blush:

i would put the game so far on a 110mb.com, but they currently have a “Team of highly trained monkeys conducting maintenance on their servers.”

Can anyone show me what i did wrong?

I’ll tell you what you did wrong. Thinking you could make a metroid game.
There, go back to learning ifs.

ohhhh…buuurn…

But don’t you think that’s just a little too harsh?

So what? It’s true. He has little if any experience, and Metroid is a very complicated type of game to emulate.

If he can’t even make gravity or rooms change, how can he possibly expect to handle the multitudes of enemies, variables for countless items, boss patterns, saving…

Aye, 'tis true. That’s probably why I don’t try one on…

But all I’m saying is it was a little…blunt. Even though he’s right.

Damnit CFX, you took the words out of my mouth.
Go use the games factory or something.
EDIT: 3 posts in the time it took to write that? Christ.
Also, yeah… just… harsh is OK when it’s to noobs.

I didn’t know how gravity worked when I first dived into making a first-person shooter. I didn’t know how object events worked, I didn’t know how “steps” worked, I didn’t know how trig worked, I didn’t know how GM collision detection worked, I didn’t know any GML, I didn’t think it was possible to draw anything outside the room in 3D, I used large animated GIFs for simple things like fading in and out, I didn’t have a very good grasp on programming logic at all, and I had no idea what I was doing.

Sure, I did look at tons of examples from across the internet while I worked and eventually figured things out on my own. I did improve. But the initial comments I received were encouraging, even though all I did was replace the graphics in the GM Doom example and move objects around. Had those responses been similar to the ones in this topic, I would have stopped.

Oh, but that’s right, he doesn’t capitalize enough. Nevermind, be as harsh as you want, right? :unamused:

The difference to me is that you’re not a run-of-the-mill arrogant nubkins.

We’ve all got it in our hearts to praise humble efforts. We don’t have it in our hearts to praise people who haven’t any inkling of the magnitude of work they’re picking up.
Yes, we’re dicks, but don’t compare what you did to this. Take a look at the Faxanadu game just below. That’s the kind of fangame post that gets positive responses.

Yeah, I got positive responces, because I didn’t act like I could recode Crysis, I knew I had limitaions, and said so.
That’s fine, but saying things as such as to intimate you are a gaming god, bad idea.

Reread the beginning of the topic, Troid. It got hostile as soon as he said “Uh, is anyone going to help?”
I don’t think you ever asked for help without showing some of your own work.

Wow!! you guys are the best at supporting nowbies to fangame making and you don’t ever get off-topic!! You guys should be the #1 admins of the world!!! :clap: :whack: :angry:

We didn’t advertise ourselves as such. I don’t see your point.

Sarcasm, DUH :E :whack:

Says the nublet who is apparently unable to pick up on more subtle sarcasm that doesn’t involve lots of exclamation points and unnecessary smilies.

Oh, and case you didn’t know, making a fangame involves lots of work, effort and dedication. Proper grammar also helps if you want to have any sort of dialogue or text.

Right, I was responding to your sarcasm.

What you were saying (sarcasm removed):
“Wow!! you guys suck at supporting nowbies to fangame making and you are always off-topic!! You guys should most definitely NOT be the #1 admins of the world!!!”

What I was saying:
“We didn’t say we are good at supporting ‘nowbies’.”

Well, yes, I started by editing the graphics and sounds of the GM Doom example before posting. My story was that I wanted to include Phazon, Thardus, Phendrana Drifts, Elite Pirates, Chozo Ghosts, the Omega Pirate, the Emperor Ing, and tons of other bosses and non-Zebes areas, in a 3D Super Metroid remake called Super Metroid Prime 3D, in which Zebes, Tallon IV, and SR388 collide. So then I asked for help making textures and sprites. Following that I posted the source and asked if someone could add a skybox and fix my horrible collision problems. Following that I asked for someone to write a better story for me. Eventually I got someone to come up a slightly better title for me.

I had no idea how much work it would take to finish a fangame as big as the one I pictured. In the end it got almost nowhere, but I got so much out of doing it.

I’m not saying you have to “praise” him. But you could just give him actual suggestions. Maybe he wasn’t as modest as I was, but he didn’t deserve the insults.

You’re a good person, and you believe everyone’s got a chance, and deserves to be helped.

I’m a bit more cynical, and I’m an asshole.

Yes, I mean this.