Metroid: Other M

Strong 4, leaning on 5. If it wasn’t for the poor balance early on and how ANNOYING those power bomb door enemies are, the lack of music and… well, actually, that’s about it. It all wraps up damn nicely, especially if you do the stuff after the credits. And while the linearity up until that point can be off-putting… once the station truly opens up, it’s amazing. The nostalgia values are through the roof, and it actually feels like Metroid in 3D, rather than a FPS in a Metroid-y setting. All of the abilities and enemies work just like they always have before. The story… ehh… the bits around the final battle were a bit weak, but it was damn amazing other than that.

Yeah. All of our fears are either nonexistant or less damaging than we expected, basically. And you definitely always feel alone.

Also, fucking hard mode, man. No upgrades. Ever. Eeeesh.

:huh:

That’s gotta suck.

You mean no expansions? Bad ass.

when you say that you mean that they’re rare and well hidden or what?

They don’t exist. Instead of an item percentage it shows how many times you died.

Also, you can skip cutscenes after all, at least on subsequent plays. Never thought to try the first time because they’re actually damn good. >_> But that’s good news for speedrunners and such, eh?

and based on earlier parts of the topic 072 >_>

:slight_smile:

Their are some very interesting videos about the making other m. Here is the link.

:slight_smile:

I have the game now, the “art book” that I got as part of the gamestop promotion is underwhelming, for one they didn’t even have the decency to actually bind the damn thing, instead providing some art cards in an admittedly nifty cardboard (I think) sheath. Its not even art, instead it is just some rendered portraits and in game screens, as well as some of the posters…on 3x5" cards.

Oh…what? the game? oh yeah…that. its pretty fun thus far.

So…I died. A rather shameful defeat, I might add.

Spoilers (sorta):
So the part where there’s the elevator shaft, and the chameleon pops up after you break the first brace. Well, I got ahead of myself, didn’t think about the repercussions, and decided it would be a good idea to break the second brace, thus releasing the elevator. Good news: I killed the chameleon. Bad news: I died too.

So yeah, it’s pretty much awesome so far. The controls feel great to me. Very smooth, very polished. I’ve only had one “oopsies” with the controls so far, and looking back on it, it was more operator error than the actual controls giving me a bad time.

In other words, I’m loving Metroid: Other M. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t feel bad Swan, I did the same exact thing, also the part where you get the grapple beam is frickin retarded, you’re expected to look AWAY from the action and instead at a grapple hook right above you, then Adam authorizes it’s use, now I’m supposed to figure this out from something OTHER than trial and error?

Edit: Done. Why does it not present you with a number upon completion? I feel violated, anywhoo the return to search for upgrades mode is going to keep me busy for a while thats for damn sure.

It does that after you beat the boss on the return trip.

Was I the only one who thought that that other retro(ish) boss was kind of an asspull? and it creates plot holes?

Also how many missile tanks and energy tanks did you have upon completion Daz? I had 22 and 5 respectively.

Which boss do you mean…? The post-credits one or the one you fight after the gravity-reverse rooms? Neither one seems that way to me.

I don’t remember how many, I just know it was 32%.

Also, review turned in, should publish tomorrow. I’ll link it and such in case anyone cares. Went with a score of 3.5/5 in the end.

The gravity one, didn’t know about a post credits one, where is it?

Odd, I got 32% as well.

@Syntax: You’ll find it. It’s a pretty fun fight, IMO. I might even consider it the funnest one of the game if it wasn’t for that badass Ridley fight.

Also, I am one missile expansion away from getting 100% completion now. Anyone know how to unlock that one orange door that leads to the missile expansion in the hangar? It’s off of the beaten path, and you probably won’t know where it is unless you’re item hunting. I can’t figure it out, and the internet is absolutely no help at all, considering the game just came out yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Apparently, there’s a small grate in the same room with the bathroom in the main sector that spews water vapor when you get close. Using a bomb on it will give you access to the expansion.

wow, that post credit boss was easy, just dodge spam and through that charge beam spam

anyway, by the time I actually went there I had 54% completion, 37% before starting that part.

I don’t see the problem. [[SPOILERS FOLLOW:]]

This station is designed for Federation bioweapons. Nightmare was explicitly called a Federation bioweapon in Fusion. The Federation shows up at the station and extracts Ridley, why couldn’t they extract Nightmare as well? Note that they’re the only two bosses that leave corpses there. And both corpses disappear after the Feds show up.

Plothole? I think not.

SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!

I saw no issue with Ridley, but Samus didn’t recognize Nightmare in Fusion, despite us now learning that she fought with it on the Bottle Ship.

SPOILERS FOLLOW!!

The Nightmare was a good boss but I say the best one was Ridley, MB lame was just lame. I hated that swimming lava creature.

And those Post credit Bug that u have to use Power Bomb to make them come out of their shells are a pain if you wait to long when they are about to go into their shells and regenerate health.

Metroid Other M does have a lot of fun points, but it would be cool if they added a new suit to the game, and wait the Gravity Suit only glows purple. They should have brought the Spazer Beam into the game, but they didn’t.